Seriously No Politics ×

Thoughts on conference

Just now, Peacefully said:

Was he trying to make a joke or did the audience just take it that way? It really hit me wrong as I am sealed to a man who is also sealed to his first wife. 

It probably won’t read as a joke but his tone certainly invited the laughter. He didn’t identify the woman who wrote to him but I’ll bet she can figure it out. 

3 minutes ago, juliann said:

It probably won’t read as a joke but his tone certainly invited the laughter. He didn’t identify the woman who wrote to him but I’ll bet she can figure it out. 

I bet there is more then one who will “figure it out” so I would not jump to conclusions if I thought it was me. I like the honest “we do not know” about the Spirit World to shut down a lot of the speculation/folklore masquerading as the doctrine of the gospel.

6 minutes ago, juliann said:

Absolutely not a joking matter as it minimizes the real concerns of many members. I hope he apologizes even if it was a misunderstanding. 

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I bet there is more then one who will “figure it out” so I would not jump to conclusions if I thought it was me. I like the honest “we do not know” about the Spirit World to shut down a lot of the speculation/folklore masquerading as the doctrine of the gospel.

My husband and I both appreciated his talk on the spirit world. 

1 minute ago, Peacefully said:

Absolutely not a joking matter as it minimizes the real concerns of many members. I hope he apologizes even if it was a misunderstanding. 

There’s no answer except speculation, so it really doesn’t warrant concern.  

14 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

For those who missed it the Young Men’s Ward Presidency is gone. The Bishopric takes over and now works directly with the Young Women’s President in making the youth program work. Almost all responsibilities including spiritual counseling that does not involve the Bishop’s responsibility as Judge or head of welfare and finance is getting dumped on the Elder’s Quorum and Relief Society. I am recommending someone give a talk in sacrament meeting going over who you should call for what. I have to eat some humble pie. The Ward Executive Secretary and I have had an ongoing friendly debate as to how much of his counseling duties the Bishop can delegate. He just won.

The Young Men’s President on the Stake level is now replaced by a member of the High Council and work with the Young Women’s Stake Presidency on Stake activities.

There are also updates to the Young Women’s program coming tonight. Stay tuned!

I guess I misunderstood, I thought the changes eased the burden to the Bishop?

13 minutes ago, SteveO said:

There’s no answer except speculation, so it really doesn’t warrant concern.  

And if you are dying of a rare disease for which there is no  treatment, you shouldn't be concerned, right?

7 minutes ago, Calm said:

And if you are dying of a rare disease for which there is no  treatment, you shouldn't be concerned, right?

Alright, probably an instance where I’m a man, and can’t empathize.  Not interested in having this conversation.  I’ll just leave it.

Edited by SteveO

You can tell this was written and presented by lawyers or someone with a military background, clear and concise and makes no sense whatsoever! what is the actual difference betwen a young men president and a young men advisor?! what is the difference between having a calling but now calling it something else?

1 hour ago, juliann said:

I’m a bit shocked over Pres Oaks’ mocking woman with a concern about having to live with her husband’s first wife in heaven. The audience joined in with laughter. Not his best moment. 

Also did he ask permission to share that? Was the letter writer in the audience or watching? I'd be mortified, if it was me.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

For those who missed it the Young Men’s Ward Presidency is gone. The Bishopric takes over and now works directly with the Young Women’s President in making the youth program work. Almost all responsibilities including spiritual counseling that does not involve the Bishop’s responsibility as Judge or head of welfare and finance is getting dumped on the Elder’s Quorum and Relief Society. I am recommending someone give a talk in sacrament meeting going over who you should call for what. I have to eat some humble pie. The Ward Executive Secretary and I have had an ongoing friendly debate as to how much of his counseling duties the Bishop can delegate. He just won.

The Young Men’s President on the Stake level is now replaced by a member of the High Council and work with the Young Women’s Stake Presidency on Stake activities.

There are also updates to the Young Women’s program coming tonight. Stay tuned!

You got a place I can look up / at the underline part?  I missed watching this afternoon.  

5 hours ago, Duncan said:

I like Pres. Oaks' who says that repentance is available for everyone, even those who had no idea of repentance or sin or Christ in this life and their work can be done for them

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I did like his emphasis that 'we don't know', only that the work of salvation continues.

I loved the talk on the symbolism of the travels of the Jaredites as a template for our journey on earth. I've long pondered those passages in that manner. It was beautiful to hear it said out loud.

I feel like there were a lot more scriptural, especially Book of Mormon, examples given in various talks. Loved that.

1 hour ago, Peacefully said:

Don't hold your breath.  Given Pres. Oaks' history, I don't thinks this will be happening.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

You can tell this was written and presented by lawyers or someone with a military background, clear and concise and makes no sense whatsoever! what is the actual difference betwen a young men president and a young men advisor?! what is the difference between having a calling but now calling it something else?

Advisors already existed. It is not a transition. The Young Men's Presidency led the organization and the advisors taught the individual classes. Now the Bishopric basically is the Young Men's Presidency and can still have advisors. It makes sense to anyone familiar with the program and I am guessing the apostles figured anyone who needed to know would understand the program as is. I am not sure your ignorance is a good justification to insult the apostles for lack of clarity.

Edited by The Nehor
2 hours ago, SteveO said:

I guess I misunderstood, I thought the changes eased the burden to the Bishop?

The changes of the last few conferences and general directions have been easing the job of the Bishop and this continued a bit but also gave them more to do. The Bishop is basically down to leading the youth, being the judge, taking care of money, callings, and interviews that require the Bishop. They are trying to push the rest of the Bishop's job in counseling the adult members, running the missionary program, and family history to the Elder's Quorum and Relief Society and have been for a while. That was probably in preparation for pushing them even more towards their job with the Youth today.

I am curious to see what they do with Young Women's program tonight.

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

You got a place I can look up / at the underline part?  I missed watching this afternoon.  

51 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

No, there will not be anything until they publish conference or send out letters to leadership.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/general-conference/2019/10/media/6092592044001?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/general-conference/2019/10?lang=eng

And the Young Women are dissolving the three different classes of Laurels, Miamaids, and Beehives. Now the division is up to the leadership (Bishop and Young Women’s President). This is presumably to allow it to adapt more easily to areas where the Youth are few or very many or if there is a concentration of sisters in certain age groups.