Seriously No Politics ×

Disapointment in Temple, how to get over?

Duncan

Not to get personal but how do you get over bad experiences in the Temple? I'm not talking about Demonic posession or running into someone from Calgary( 😣) but constant unanswered prayers, too noisy in Celestial room or other things like that? in other aspects of life if you have regular bad experiences as a grocery store you just shop elsewhere

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Not to get personal but how do you get over bad experiences in the Temple? I'm not talking about Demonic posession or running into someone from Calgary( 😣) but constant unanswered prayers, too noisy in Celestial room or other things like that? in other aspects of life if you have regular bad experiences as a grocery store you just shop elsewhere

The Lord has talked to me in the temple, but it was probably not an experience others would be looking for... It wasn't a bad experience. It was a confirmatory experience, but nonetheless, I really don't ascribe any particularly holy feelings to the temple. I have never had a prayer answered in the celestial room. I just enjoy it with the company I am with. I guess my expectations aren't terribly high... then there is nothing to be disappointed about. On the one occasion, I wasn't praying for an answer. The Lord just spoke to me. So, I can't say I've ever had a "bad experience" in the temple. I've had teaching experiences. I've had experiences where I probably shouldn't have been there because I was too tired. I can't say that any particular spirit has ever accepted the gospel due to my efforts on their behalf, but I am sure many have and are grateful, because I believe they can now be resurrected with the Church. I hope my grandparents are among them. I would advise just to enjoy the temple for what it is... not for what you hope it to be. I've had many more prayers answered outside of the temple than in it. 

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

The temple president needs to be told if the Celestial Room is too noisy.  That is just unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The temple president needs to be told if the Celestial Room is too noisy.  That is just unacceptable.

And especially the Matron.  Typically there are sisters stationed there to keep order - in a nice way of course.  :)

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

I think some things are just due to humans being flawed. As for unanswered prayers, you will find that, be they offered in the Temple or out, it is a mystery that eludes this old man, and I suspect many others, as to why they go unanswered . Other times, I have prayed, completely believing they were not heard, or would not be answered, and they were. As I once heard someone say, “We pray on our time, God answers on his, or in his time”. 

3 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I think some things are just due to humans being flawed. As for unanswered prayers, you will find that, be they offered in the Temple or out, it is a mystery that eludes this old man, and I suspect many others, as to why they go unanswered . Other times, I have prayed, completely believing they were not heard, or would not be answered, and they were. As I once heard someone say, “We pray on our time, God answers on his, or in his time”. 

The only thing I "pray for" is for a better attitude, and not to change the world to be the way I want it.  

It almost always helps me, at least.

Yeah, I don't have any practical answers except talking with matrons, or patrons, or Presidency.  I can't say I've ever had a bad experience in the Temple.  I've had a couple where I've said, "OK, what does that mean?  What do I do with it?"  I still wonder.  The only thing I can say is, the Temple is one of the few places where I can have (and where I have had) experiences that transcend mortality, where a verse from a hymn I like actually comes to pass:

Oh may my soul commune with Thee

And find Thy holy peace.

From worldly care and pain of fear

Please bring me sweet release.

"Oh, May My Soul Commune With Thee," Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (1985) No. 123, text and music by Lorin F. Wheelright.

As always, of course, I wish you well. :) 

Edited by Kenngo1969
3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

And especially the Matron.  Typically there are sisters stationed there to keep order - in a nice way of course.  :)

Temple ordinance workers walk a fine line between the need to maintain reverence and the need to avoid hurting someone’s feelings when giving a reminder. Temple patrons ought to recognize that and try to govern themselves accordingly. We all should be patient and courteous with one another in the House of the Lord. 

That said, I’ve been an ordinance worker for a little over a year now and personally have yet to observe or encounter anything in the temple that one might characterize as a bad experience. I expect to find holiness there, and I’ve never been disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Temple ordinance workers walk a fine line between the need to maintain reverence and the need to avoid hurting someone’s feelings when giving a reminder. Temple patrons ought to recognize that and try to govern themselves accordingly. We all should be patient and courteous with one another in the House of the Lord. 

That said, I’ve been an ordinance worker for a little over a year now and personally have yet to observe or encounter anything in the temple that one might characterize as a bad experience. I expect to find holiness there, and I’ve never been disappointed. 

Some time ago, when I was working at the Provo Temple, in the hallway, among those of us waiting to go in and work the veil, just outside the Celestial Room, the conversation got too noisy.  We got called out for it, and rightly so.

1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

Hmmm. Not a bad idea. Try going to a Hindu or Buddhist temple or a masonic temple. Maybe a little comparison shopping will help you appreciate our temple more. 

I'm kidding (but it might be kinda fun). I don't have a good answer for you. I know people who absolutely love the temple and others who go more out of a sense of duty. Both types of people are faithful members but they just experience the temple differently. I think it may boil down to personality more than anything else. I'm a little surprised that your Celestial room is noisy though. I haven't come across that yet

oh, we had this one 60 plus couple clawing all over each other and no offense but blech! it's not like a train station noisy but mid range talking about who did you travel with, what did you have for dinner and people tapping you on the shoulder with questions etc.

Edited by Duncan
12 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Some time ago, when I was working at the Provo Temple, in the hallway, among those of us waiting to go in and work the veil, just outside the Celestial Room, the conversation got too noisy.  We got called out for it, and rightly so.

Oh, I’ve seen that sort of thing, but I wouldn’t regard it as a “bad experience,” I guess because the individual was not in any way harsh or unkind. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
16 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:
3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

This is especially an issue when a large group of family friends and relatives come for a wedding or missionaries first visit. It's hard for them to just stand there and look at each other without saying something to each other. And if someone does speak the conversation will naturally get louder along with some laughter. A brusk strict temple worker could cause some offense in the way they remind patrons to talk quietly. It is a fine line. 

6 hours ago, Duncan said:

I found that praying for charity, though I hardly knew what it was, turned out to be very helpful in this regard.

I thought Calgarians were gregarious agrarians until I looked up what to call someone from Calagary... turns out to be a Demonym! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary

1,285,711. Demonym(s) Calgarian. Time zone. UTC−07:00 (MST)

Questions,  I finally determined helped me when I feel unanswered are:

Have I studied it out in my own mind and determined the course I think is what God wants for me and then asked for confirmation?   (God really believes and respects our agency and I just don't think doctrinaly  (sp?) I can reasonable expect Him to tell me what choice I should make.  

Am I asking the right question?  

Am I asking for confirmation of what I have already received confirmation for?

I have no doubt at all that your Heavenly Parents and your Savior know you intimately and personally in every moment of your life.   Assuming you've done your part, it could be no, or not yet, or even "I trust that you can get through this hard part.  You aren't alone, but you you need to do that this time for yours or someone else's, or My plan's sake."

As for noisiness in the celestial room, the workers will tell you the quietest times.   But I often just do my praying on the grounds or in the car in the parking lot.

Edited by rpn