Sign in to follow this  
bluebell

Christian Health Care Organization asks Latter-day Saints to leave

24 minutes ago, alter idem said:

I don't know what they think it means, but to me, Jesus was pointing out that the Samaritan helped a man who wasn't of his faith and didn't share his beliefs.  It is ironic, IMO.

You are expecting people to think through what they name things and explore the ramifications of their beliefs? That is crazy talk my friend.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I think this is sad that this is happening to this family.  The religious organization is practicing exclusion.  That is never good. Especially for a christian organization. It is also ironic that their name is taken from the parable that Christ used to model love and acceptance of others. 

If Jews wanted to have a company that was strictly for Jews it would not be a problem. If Muslims wanted a company that was strictly for Muslims it would not be a problem. If this Christian groups wants a company strictly for their form of Christianity, it is not a problem. 

Jesus practiced exclusion also - if you did not repent and be baptized then you were not a part of him. That is as exclusionary as it can get. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alter idem said:

I don't know what they think it means, but to me, Jesus was pointing out that the Samaritan helped a man who wasn't of his faith and didn't share his beliefs.  It is ironic, IMO.

We have learned that when it comes to "personally held religious beliefs", it really doesn't matter what you or others think of those beliefs.  Personally, I think most of these "personally held religious beliefs" cases go against the teachings of the Savior.

If this trend continues, I think we are going to see a LOT of discrimination that seems to go against what Christ taught.  You don't need to be in line with what the scriptures teach to justify discrimination.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 1:44 AM, Stargazer said:

Well, I noticed it, but just as an incidental fact.  Is the surname Baker somehow ironic?  

I'm thinking of the baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, and now a Baker is being discriminated against.

Edited by Thinking

8 hours ago, california boy said:

We have learned that when it comes to "personally held religious beliefs", it really doesn't matter what you or others think of those beliefs.  Personally, I think most of these "personally held religious beliefs" cases go against the teachings of the Savior.

If this trend continues, I think we are going to see a LOT of discrimination that seems to go against what Christ taught.  You don't need to be in line with what the scriptures teach to justify discrimination.

You're right, they can discriminate against anyone they choose and apparently they do, it's not a crime and clearly some applaud this type of behavior.  I just thought it was ironic that they choose to name themselves after the Good Samaritan in Jesus' parable, who did the opposite.  He did not discriminate against a man who did not share his religious beliefs.  I also think that the church follows the example of the Good Samaritan in that we do not discriminate in our humanitarian efforts to help people all over the world, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack there of.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thinking said:

I'm thinking of the baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, and now a Baker is being discriminated against.

Ah. OK, I see it now.  I can sometimes be a little thick.

23 hours ago, alter idem said:

You're right, they can discriminate against anyone they choose and apparently they do, it's not a crime and clearly some applaud this type of behavior.  I just thought it was ironic that they choose to name themselves after the Good Samaritan in Jesus' parable, who did the opposite.  He did not discriminate against a man who did not share his religious beliefs.  I also think that the church follows the example of the Good Samaritan in that we do not discriminate in our humanitarian efforts to help people all over the world, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack there of.

Well, they did not want their speech to suggest that they support latter-days saints because almost everything is speech now.

56 minutes ago, Jake Starkey said:

And once again we see the chasm of

Our church is true.jpg

Sadly Mormonism has a similar chart.  Just a few less branches.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Amulek said:

I remember being on a tele-conference with a sales rep from one of these companies, and he said they usually recommend people buy their prescription drugs through someplace like goodrx. Thinking he would show us how trivial a concern ours was, he escaped out of his PowerPoint presentation and pulled up the website on his browser. He then asked us to suggest a prescription that we know someone from our company was using on a regular basis.

Me being...well, me, just couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer, so I suggested he look up the cost for Dornase Alfa (Pulmozyme). He was obviously not expecting what popped up on his screen, and it took everything I had to try and keep it together as this poor guy sputtered and spiraled out of control as he realized he was going to be losing the sale. That probably isn't something I should be proud of, but I'm apparently still imperfect enough that it still makes me smile when I think about it. 

I had to look.

https://m.goodrx.com/dornase-alfa

That's everything that's wrong with our medical system...

I thought this was really dumb. Meaning, that Christian group decision was dumb.  Mormons are among the healthiest people.  Having healthy people in your insurance group is key to making it successful.  This shows how belief gets in the way of rational thought.

Edited by 2BizE
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 9:38 AM, Tacenda said:

Hopefully I'm not derailing here, but somehow this thread made me think of the Netflix documentary called, "The Family. After watching it scared the life out of me that there are people like this. Gives Christians a bad name, IMO. 

I watched this documentary too..it was eery on so many levels to me.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:35 PM, alter idem said:

Well personally, I find it ironic that some of these bakers call themselves Christian.  Your post points out the irony in both cases. 

On 9/22/2019 at 12:06 PM, 2BizE said:

I thought this was really dumb. Meaning, that Christian group decision was dumb.  Mormons are among the healthiest people.  Having healthy people in your insurance group is key to making it successful.  This shows how belief gets in the way of rational thought.

Well clearly they wanted it to be blessed by God so they have to keep out heretics.