Seriously No Politics ×

New forum member seeking advice on participation

Pneumos

Howdy, brothers and sisters.

There are many things about the Church and its teaching which I am critical of.  And I would like to discuss them with you, in order to discover those opinions which I have not yet considered.  Maybe these criticisms of mine are unfounded or based on ignorance, I often wonder.

Am I able to discuss these criticisms here?

If so,

What topics are off limits?

And,

What are some useful tips that can help me ensure that I maintain a respectful and productive discussion, considering Mormon culture?

Much appreciated.  God bless.

Not a moderator

Make sure the title matches the issue .

If the issue is related to a specific quote, scripture, doctrine, link it and include at least a short summary.

Search the site before you post ----- your issue has likely already been discussed before, maybe even multiple times.

1 hour ago, Pneumos said:

Howdy, brothers and sisters.

There are many things about the Church and its teaching which I am critical of.  And I would like to discuss them with you, in order to discover those opinions which I have not yet considered.  Maybe these criticisms of mine are unfounded or based on ignorance, I often wonder.

Am I able to discuss these criticisms here?

If so,

What topics are off limits?

And,

What are some useful tips that can help me ensure that I maintain a respectful and productive discussion, considering Mormon culture?

Much appreciated.  God bless.

Hi @Pneumos, welcome to the forum.

Robert Smith already posted the rules, so that's covered.

A little bit about this forum---  as you know, there's a wide spectrum of beliefs LDS Christians have on certain topics.  This particular forum has a lot of folks that are very unorthodox or inactive, as well as some more traditional folks, and a few downright anti trolls.   So you'll likely find a LOT of diverse views on here-- way more than you'd expect.     Talking and discussing this is allowed, pending the forum rules are followed,  which does forbid a some temple specifics and stress the need to be respectful.  But pretty much everything else it ok.  

Tips for remaining productive and respectful--   One topic per thread helps prevent rabbit trailing.   Talk about the topic instead of posters.    It's not personal that somebody has a different view than you, so don't take it personally.  Treat even those that completely disagree with you as the same respect you'd like to be treated.  

Another word of advice-you might want to ask posters what their beliefs are before assuming their answers are valid. For example, you’ll sometimes get ex-members or people who have never been a member of the church answering questions on what the church teaches or believes. 

That doesn’t mean their answers are automatically wrong, only that they might be including biases and need to be vetted. 

13 minutes ago, Pneumos said:

Thanks for the advice.  

Also, another question.  What are the requirements to be able to post in the general discussion?

This is a often asked question, “when can I start a thread”? It is a question that often makes the poster seem as if he or she is coming out “guns blazing”, with a lot of rounds they wish to unleash, quickly. Too much, too soon, will often paint a picture no one wishes to see. Be respectful, and have patience, then you will be well received, most probably. Personal attacks against members of Church leadership, not a good idea. Policy debates, are usually received with much more understanding. Also remember, that ignorance of the rules, is not seen as an excuse, it is why the rules are posted, and the reason Robert Smith posted the link, for you to see the rules. Although people may disagree, try not to be unkind, or go out of your way to be hurtful. The truth does hurt, very often. But being hurtful should not be the aim of the truth. 

My 2 cents, anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Personal attacks against members of Church leadership, not a good idea.

Are we allowed to criticize past leaders, namely Joseph Smith?  I understand the necessity of not criticizing present leaders, due to safety concerns.  

The rule against,

“Judging others worthiness, questioning sincerity, mind reading or psychoanalyzing”

Does that apply to Joseph Smith?

27 minutes ago, Pneumos said:

Are we allowed to criticize past leaders, namely Joseph Smith?  I understand the necessity of not criticizing present leaders, due to safety concerns.  

The rule against,

“Judging others worthiness, questioning sincerity, mind reading or psychoanalyzing”

First things first: Joseph Smith was a sinner.  I also believe that he was a prophet, but he was also a sinner (as are all men).  That's just stating a fact.

As to how you approach criticizing a person/their actions (this applies to any person): try to keep criticism constructive / addressing actual concerns.  Versus trash talking, which is never productive.

Running with an example of productive with Joseph Smith: "I am concerned about Joseph Smith's sealing to Fanny Alger, for reasons A, B, C.  Can any one help me work through this?"  (while seeking honestly talk work through it.

An unproductive example of Joseph Smith criticism: "Fanny Alger proves that Joseph Smith as a %*&Q#$ pedophile- such %(*#Q*.  He need to %)*Q#%".   There's just no where productive to go with that.

Edited by Jane_Doe

The rule against,

I would guess that would depend on how you do so.

Hello pneumos... and welcome to the board... I think you'll like it here.  If you are respectful and realistic with criticisms, you shouldn't have difficulty.

Now, we're always interested in learning about new people... generally... like what area do you hail from, approx age (I'm a 78 yr-old widow, living in a cottage-by-the-sea on the beautiful central OR coast), am a faithful, believing, active member (we know you are a critic), a cat person (by the way, are you a dog or cat person?) etc etc.  Just general... friendly...

from the beach on a blustery, rainy day... just right for snuggling down with a good book...  GG

Please try and shepherd me as @Jane_Doe has, by giving me some examples.  Or do you completely agree with the example which they have already given me? 

How do I like a post, BTW?

“Shepard you”, ok here I go.

Know that people here actually love and respect the Prophet Joseph Smith

Do a lot of reading of previous posts, so that you are not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Understand that when you “poke the bear”, or “knock down the hornets nest”, there are usually consequences.

Be original, and don’t come here to settle and old score, or just to vent. 

This is just a few suggestions, oh and know I am a true believer, who is old, injured and retired with too much time on my hands, and will defend my Faith. 😁

Nice to meet you @Garden Girl 

I try to be as respectful and reasonable as possible, hence the impartial critic in me. 

I happen to be both a cat and a dog person.  😊

I am from Minnesota, and was baptized into the Church some years ago; though I had only participated briefly.  I identify as a Latter Day Saint, but I harbor deep affection for both the LDS and RLDS churches.  They are two sides of one coin, in my opinion.

By the way, I can be quite harsh in my criticisms, but I always try to be fair.  I hope that I cause no offense.

Be aware that a lot of what The Nehor says is a joke and don't automatically be offended by it. Some have a difficult time telling when he is joking and when he is serious. 

If you need help, you could tell him how much of a good leader you think one US leader is and then you will see his serious side and be able to tell a difference, but it will probably get you both banned since it is politics. 

One independent remark, welcome to the board. I pray your brief experience in, or with the Church will find a place here to grow into a long term experience in our Faith. I am always hopefully optimistic and foolishly naive at times,  that all who have strayed, will again find their why home. As one of my favorite scriptures asks...

Alma 5:26 “...If ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now”? 

On this very website, and in this very thread there is represented, 100’s years of membership, and persons who left the Church for decades, or more. All now united either by a common culture, or a common belief, so we (I) welcome you. 

2 hours ago, Pneumos said:

I try to be as respectful and reasonable as possible, hence the impartial critic in me. 

I am from Minnesota, and was baptized into the Church some years ago; though I had only participated briefly.  I identify as a Latter Day Saint, but I harbor deep affection for both the LDS and RLDS churches.  They are two sides of one coin, in my opinion.

By the way, I can be quite harsh in my criticisms, but I always try to be fair.  I hope that I cause no offense.

Thanks, Pneumos... you're still under 25 posts so I wasn't able to give you a "like."  I would ask only one thing... as you participate, that you look for ways not only to criticize but to find common ground and agreement, in other words as you say, "being fair."  My history is that I grew up faithful LDS, but at age 20 circumstances were that I became inactive when I married my non-LDS husband... and was inactive for 35 years.  The Spirit would tug at me from time to time... I still studied my scriptures and prayed.   At age 55, I had been feeling the need to return to Church, when the sudden loss of my mom whipped me around and I did reactivate... starting over at square one and becoming stronger than ever... and I've never looked back.

I vacationed in MN years ago (at age78, now everything is "years ago" ☺️) camping/fishing at Otter Lake... loved it!  

GG

4 hours ago, Pneumos said:

Welcome :)

I'm an active LDS lady, though haven't always been active.  I'm also not the most "normal" in the way I think about things.  My hubby is a generic Christian, and we have a little girl.  

One of my hobbies is getting to better understand what different people beliefs.  I recreationally visit random churches, discussion groups, forums, and all sorts of places with people of different beliefs, just to better understand and love them.  Through the process, I find that is also further develops my faith and love of God, even through the times I completely disagree with another's beliefs. 

9 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

“Shepard you”, ok here I go.

Know that people here actually love and respect the Prophet Joseph Smith

Do a lot of reading of previous posts, so that you are not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Understand that when you “poke the bear”, or “knock down the hornets nest”, there are usually consequences.

Be original, and don’t come here to settle and old score, or just to vent. 

This is just a few suggestions, oh and know I am a true believer, who is old, injured and retired with too much time on my hands, and will defend my Faith. 😁

Nice to meet you @Bill “Papa” Lee

Thanks for the advice.  

I am a fairly young guy, who happens to be disabled; and who has way too much time on his hands, also.  To be clear, I will attack your Faith (all in good spirit).  😉  My hope is that God has led me here to meet those brothers and sisters who can shine a little wisdom on matters.  

8 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

One independent remark, welcome to the board. I pray your brief experience in, or with the Church will find a place here to grow into a long term experience in our Faith. I am always hopefully optimistic and foolishly naive at times,  that all who have strayed, will again find their why home. As one of my favorite scriptures asks...

Alma 5:26 “...If ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now”? 

On this very website, and in this very thread there is represented, 100’s years of membership, and persons who left the Church for decades, or more. All now united either by a common culture, or a common belief, so we (I) welcome you. 

I certainly would like to “find my way home again” and join up with the Church once more, but the truth is that the Church does not want someone like me, because I think outside of the box; because I happen to disagree with the authorities and their policies.  I tell my young children:  “If you feel that Papa is deserving of rebuke, please express that to me, and in a respectful manner.”  And they do.  And they appreciate the voice I have given them.  Moreover, I have been shepherded by a little child at times because of my willingness to accept rebuke from them.  Not to mention, my children are better souls because of this willingness.  Unfortunately, such is not the culture of the Church at this present time.  How can an uneducated young man presume to know better than the wisest men of his day?  they ask.  Or maybe I am cursed with pretentiousness?  I wonder.  Whatever the truth may be, God has created purpose in all things. 

I look forward to hearing from you in future discussions.  God bless.

8 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Thanks, Pneumos... you're still under 25 posts so I wasn't able to give you a "like."  I would ask only one thing... as you participate, that you look for ways not only to criticize but to find common ground and agreement, in other words as you say, "being fair."  My history is that I grew up faithful LDS, but at age 20 circumstances were that I became inactive when I married my non-LDS husband... and was inactive for 35 years.  The Spirit would tug at me from time to time... I still studied my scriptures and prayed.   At age 55, I had been feeling the need to return to Church, when the sudden loss of my mom whipped me around and I did reactivate... starting over at square one and becoming stronger than ever... and I've never looked back.

I vacationed in MN years ago (at age78, now everything is "years ago" ☺️) camping/fishing at Otter Lake... loved it!  

GG

Sure. There is more common ground than uncommon. 

It makes me glad to hear that God has brought you into the fold of his comfort.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feelings throughout the months and years.

P.S.  You cannot go wrong with MN.  Good to know that you liked it.  Dare I say, we have the best of everything, here in MN.

7 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Welcome :)

I'm an active LDS lady, though haven't always been active.  I'm also not the most "normal" in the way I think about things.  My hubby is a generic Christian, and we have a little girl.  

One of my hobbies is getting to better understand what different people beliefs.  I recreationally visit random churches, discussion groups, forums, and all sorts of places with people of different beliefs, just to better understand and love them.  Through the process, I find that is also further develops my faith and love of God, even through the times I completely disagree with another's beliefs. 

Thanks for the welcome.

I totally understand the mentality.  My family asks me,  How can you watch that certain news outlet?  And I say,  I like to know every side.  And whereas I do not agree with the perspective of that outlet, for the most part, I do occasionally find agreement on various points.