Seriously No Politics ×

Oliver Cowdery fainting in Temple story

Duncan

Recently I came across a story, without attribution, of Oliver Cowdery fainting in the Kirtland Temple after he and Joseph Smith had their vision in what is now known as Doctrine and Covenants 110, but I have never heard this before. I know it happened to Sidney Rigdon but not Oliver, has anyone heard of this before?

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Recently I came across a story, without attribution, of Oliver Cowdery fainting in the Kirtland Temple after he and Joseph Smith had their vision in what is now known as Doctrine and Covenants 110, but I have never heard this before. I know it happened to Sidney Rigdon but not Oliver, has anyone heard of this before?

I would not know, but what a revelation and prayer, that is D&C 110! 

2 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

He’s was a member of a dousing group I believe! It was also most likely what the “rod of nature” was that Oliver attempted to use to translate the BoM.

I liked the original words the best.  "working with the sprout" sounds awesome.

But them I actually have no issues with sacred objects - physical objects the have spiritual power.  A lot of people in the Church today seem to reject the idea.  Garments, seerstones, etc, all losing popularity.

Imagine if Pres Nelson told a Stake President to take his handkerchief and use it to heal a ward member then to keep it.  The raising of eyebrows would be seen everywhere.

32 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

But them I actually have no issues with sacred objects - physical objects the have spiritual power.  A lot of people in the Church today seem to reject the idea.  Garments, seerstones, etc, all losing popularity.

Imagine if Pres Nelson told a Stake President to take his handkerchief and use it to heal a ward member then to keep it.  The raising of eyebrows would be seen everywhere.

I always liked the rumor that the cane that Brigham used to mark “this is the place” was the rose that Oliver had.any canes were made from the coffin of Joseph that had locks of Hyrums and Joseph’s hair. They were said to heal many people and had power to signal answers to prayers when used correctly (temple robes).

I wish the Church would let us see the other stones. When the Manti Temple was delicated, it’s believed to be the white stone that Joseph had. The green stone, I believe, is in a private collection as well.

18 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

I always liked the rumor that the cane that Brigham used to mark “this is the place” was the rose that Oliver had.any canes were made from the coffin of Joseph that had locks of Hyrums and Joseph’s hair. They were said to heal many people and had power to signal answers to prayers when used correctly (temple robes).

I wish the Church would let us see the other stones. When the Manti Temple was delicated, it’s believed to be the white stone that Joseph had. The green stone, I believe, is in a private collection as well.

The list is long in scripture and Church history.  We believe in the supernatural in theory but live to doubt when confronted in life.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:39 AM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Don’t even know what that means. 

For those who don’t know what a ditch witch is you can google it. Also called a divining rod and a shroud, this is what Oliver Cowdery  used to find hidden treasure, receive revelation, and divine the truth.  He would walk around with two metal rods to find things.  Like the magic seer stones Joseph used, the divining rod was also an occult method for reaching into the dark side of the force.

There is even a section or two in the D&C that talks about Oliver’s diving rod or shroud.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/revelations-in-context/oliver-cowderys-gift?lang=eng

36 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

For those who don’t know what a ditch witch is you can google it. Also called a divining rod and a shroud, this is what Oliver Cowdery  used to find hidden treasure, receive revelation, and divine the truth.  He would walk around with two metal rods to find things.  Like the magic seer stones Joseph used, the divining rod was also an occult method for reaching into the dark side of the force.

There is even a section or two in the D&C that talks about Oliver’s diving rod or shroud.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/revelations-in-context/oliver-cowderys-gift?lang=eng

Some friends and I were taught how to dowse for water with two bent metal coat hangers by a nuclear engineer at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The source you cited says nothing about finding hidden treasure, divining truth, the occult, or any kind of dark force.

Oliver Cowdery lived in a culture steeped in biblical ideas, language, and practices. The revelation’s reference to Moses likely resonated with him. The Old Testament account of Moses and his brother Aaron recounted several instances of using rods to manifest God’s will (see Exodus 7:9–12Numbers 17:8). Many Christians in Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery’s day similarly believed in divining rods as instruments for revelation. Oliver was among those who believed in and used a divining rod.8

The Lord recognized Oliver’s ability to use a rod: “Thou hast another gift which is the gift of working with the sprout [or rod].” Confirming the divinity of this gift, the revelation stated: “Behold there is no other power save God that can cause this thing of Nature to work in your hands for it is the work of God.”9 If Oliver desired, the revelation went on to say, the Lord would add the gift of translation to the revelatory gifts Oliver already possessed.

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 hours ago, 2BizE said:

Oh, I see. An attempt to insult the memory of Oliver Cowdrey, and trample on Ducan’s thread. Silly me, thinking someone would be kind, and make an effort to answer the question posed by him. There I go again, letting my idealistic views get in the way, and tripping on my own ignorance. 

22 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

The early apostles after the resurrection of Jesus certainly had no problem with sending a piece of their clothing to heal others.  I don't see Protestants or Catholics doing backflips or being facetious about that either. Of course, I typically find Evangelists to be those of low brow level of Biblical understanding or knowledge.