Seriously No Politics ×

It’s “Let’s roll” day

let’s roll

I was able to go to the museum in New York. I would recommend going and especially taking your kids or grandkids that are too young to remember what happened. It’s a haunting, impactful museum and it’s important to remember and also teach the true history of the terror, heroism and loss experienced that day. 

A ward member of mine lost her step dad that day as he traveled to attend her wedding. 

After attending the museum, I attended the Broadway musical “Come From Away” which focuses on the goodness of people and how people helped each other that day. 

Its worth a weekend trip.

Careful, Let's Roll, you're getting political.

I just had a 9/11 engineering/science thread shut down (I assume because of its alleged political implications), though 9/11 science and engineering is not political in and of itself, though it does have political implications as well as implications across the board; and SHOULD be of supreme importance to LDS in view of the Book of Mormon emphasis in being aware of such things.

Edited by blarsen
12 hours ago, blarsen said:

Careful, Let's Roll, you're getting political.

I just had a 9/11 engineering/science thread shut down (I assume because of its alleged political implications), though 9/11 science and engineering is not political in and of itself, though it does have political implications as well as implications across the board; and SHOULD be of supreme importance to LDS in view of the Book of Mormon emphasis in being aware of such things.

I was going to post my favorite 9/11 theory there but it was shut down first.

semicontrolled_demolition.png

14 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I was going to post my favorite 9/11 theory there but it was shut down first.

semicontrolled_demolition.png

Cute 'theory', Nehor, but it reeks of straw man argumentation.

There really is a legitimate scientific effort investigating the events of 9/11, primarily the collapses of the 3 WTC towers that came down on that day.  Why is that?  Because these efforts look strictly at the data generated by those collapses and has nothing to say about who planned and executed the events of that day, which is where you would get into 'conspiracy theory'.

I'm sure you understand the difference . . . or do you?

2 hours ago, blarsen said:

Cute 'theory', Nehor, but it reeks of straw man argumentation.

There really is a legitimate scientific effort investigating the events of 9/11, primarily the collapses of the 3 WTC towers that came down on that day.  Why is that?  Because these efforts look strictly at the data generated by those collapses and has nothing to say about who planned and executed the events of that day, which is where you would get into 'conspiracy theory'.

I'm sure you understand the difference . . . or do you?

I was not commenting on any theory or seeking to mock any of them with the comic. I just though it was funny and wanted to make people laugh.

I do doubt the theory you put forth in the other thread.

I remember being woke up by one of my kids who were up and getting ready for school.  He said, "Dad, wake up! One of the twin towers in New York has collapsed!"  I got up and wondered "What the heck?" and headed downstairs.  On the television was this frantic-but-calm news reporter describing what was going on, with the camera pointing at the tower that was still up.  I watched and listened for a few minutes when suddenly I saw the second tower collapsing.  I delayed going in to work for about an hour, but since nothing else seemed to be going on, I went ahead and drove to work.  When I got there nobody noticed that I was late, and I saw that they had brought out the televisions and had them playing on the news channels.  A little while later while I was trying to get some work done, I needed to ask one of my co-workers a question, so I went to her cubicle.  I found that she had been crying and seemed very shaken up, so I gently asked her why. It turned out that her brother, who lives and works in San Diego but for an investment house based in NYC had gone to the company headquarters for a meeting in one of the twin towers, and was there on that day.  I offered her some fairly useless reassurance, and really felt inadequate to the task, and then went back to my cube.  I thought to myself that she probably hadn't confided in anyone else so far, so went to track down our department head, Dennis, and explained the situation to him.  He promised to go talk with her.  Dennis was a very good manager with great people skills (unlike me), and later she thanked me for telling him about it, because he really had gone to her and comforted her.  It turned out that her brother had been in a meeting above the level where the plane hit the building, but he had volunteered to go downstairs to a cafe to get donuts.  And it was while he was picking up the donuts that the plane hit.  So he got out safely, which she found out later that day.

An acquaintance of mine who is a retired Army sergeant major was at that time working for the Dept of Defense as a civilian employee. His office was at the Pentagon, but on the opposite side of the building from where the third plane hit.

Too many people were in the wrong places at the wrong time that day.

13 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Too many people were in the wrong places at the wrong time that day.

I have wondered about that.  I read somewhere years ago that the towers normally had 50K people on a work day.  Why was it nearly empty?  God's tender mercies?   September 11, 2001 was a Monday.  Could that be the reason?

22 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I was not commenting on any theory or seeking to mock any of them with the comic. I just though it was funny and wanted to make people laugh.

I do doubt the theory you put forth in the other thread.

But this is a typical response of far too many people regarding a topic of utmost import and seriousness.  It has the effect of creating a climate of ridicule directed against anyone doubting the official 9/11 scenario and undercuts those actually studying it, to include studying those events in a scientific manner.

And I didn't "put forth a . . . theory".  What I did is present access to the results of a study that used engineering tools and concepts.  The study was conducted to test the hypothesis that the conclusions of the NIST WTC 7 report were in gross error. 

The study produced data and engineering analysis to include a model with 'visuals' that do explain the collapse of WTC 7; i.e.,  that mirror what was actually seen as this building collapsed, among other things.  The visuals produced by the NIST Bldg 7 study did not do this, but instead claimed that small office fires on 6-7 floors were able to cause a 47 story, steel-framed high rise to totally collapse, essentially into its own footprint, and in the near free-fall time of 6-7 seconds, 2.5 seconds of which were actually in free-fall time.  Office fires simply can't do this . . . for multiple reasons.

Edited by blarsen