Seriously No Politics ×

Rant: Lotech option on TVs needed

Calm

Mom has dementia so all she wants to do is turn on her favorite channel and turn the tv off when she is done.  The TV has been "broken" all week.  So I finally have time to look at it and it is dead batteries in the Comcast remote (one of the caregivers told her that, but she didn't know how to change them so she just ignored it and kept telling me it was broken).  So I am thinking let's see what batteries are needed for the tv remote just in case as they are a year old and turn the remote upside down to pull them out...inadvertently hitting a button but dang if I know which one.

Now the TV is perpetually looking for a nonexistent device to work with its smart cast app to "simplify" using the TV ( or so the website claims).  Can I get it to stop looking for it by existing or unplugging?  No.  Following online instructions doesn't work, neither does trying to call to talk to someone live on my cellphone because it doesn't recognize using the phone keypad.

I remember this happening when she first got it a few times.  Somehow we push the right combo or something back then...or my brother who got the TV came out and fixed it.  He's not available right now.  I am taking notes so I know how to fix it next time...if I ever figure it out (will try again when I see her again).

I don't understand why the companies think making things so, so complicated that pressing one button screws everything up and you need a manual to undo the mess is helpful/attractive.  Sure, go complicated, but keep a lotech option to keep things very, very simple so I am not getting a call every other week about the broken TV.

I am going to put the TV remote in an envelope and say "do not touch" on it.

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Calm said:

I don't understand why the companies think making things so, so complicated that pressing one button screws everything up and you need a manual to undo the mess is helpful/attractive.  Sure, go complicated, but keep a lotech option to keep things very, very simple so I am not getting a call every other week about the broken TV.

I am going to put the TV remote in an envelope and say "do not touch" on it.

I just spent a half hour trying to figure out how to cancel a timer that I accidentally set... I finally succeeded, but can't remember just how I did it, even though I used the "help" feature...

GG

If they have all those buttons, I think they should add two more " undo" for when you hit the wrong one so you can back up to where you had it just the way you like it and " redo" in case you hit "undo" accidentally ( and the reverse).

I would like to see TVs and cable boxes come with basic remotes that just do channels and volume.  Wouldn't be that difficult or expensive to add and a big feature for those with kids or those who just don't want to or can't hassle with the tech stuff.  After it is set up by the tech savvy neighbour or family member, that remote gets put in away and the easy, peasy one takes over.

Senior care supplies have basic large button remotes, but the reviews I read say lots of times they don't work or are too complicated to set up.  They need something that is plug and play.

Edited by Calm

As a computer programmer and rather techy, I find those blasted remotes impossible to work with. My wife, a surgical theater nurse, can figure ours out -- but to me it's Egyptian hieroglyphics.

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

As a computer programmer and rather techy, I find those blasted remotes impossible to work with. My wife, a surgical theater nurse, can figure ours out -- but to me it's Egyptian hieroglyphics.

That makes me feel better.

I am good at tech...was very good in fact once upon a time as I was an EE major with computer emphasis though Physics was what I was interested in, but it is just such a hassle to keep up with all the variations and it makes me feel so dumb when I have no clue.  Give me a couple of hours and the internet, sure....but does it really need to be that way.

Just ordered the simplified big button remote of Amazon's Choice as it had good ratings of a large enough amount imo and one mentioned it working with the TV brand she has and another mention a few variations to get Comcast to work on it....at $15 bucks let's risk it!  

Now I just need to have my husband go with me to keep Mom occupied because my brain can't work split between her and the tech.

Edited by Calm