Seriously No Politics ×

Temple symbolism talk

58 minutes ago, Duncan said:

What would you think about a talk in a conference (not General Conference) about Temple Symbolism? given by a member that their wheel is still turning but the hamster is long gone

You're asking for an opinion on a talk that only you've heard? 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

What would you think about a talk in a conference (not General Conference) about Temple Symbolism? given by a member that their wheel is still turning but the hamster is long gone

More details would be helpful.

26 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

More details would be helpful.

I saw a poster at Church for an upcoming conference, held in the Church by a speaker that is dubious about Temple Symbolism, I wonder if it's appropriate for that subject to be discussed and by someone who is i'm skeptical about their knowledge base, shall we say

5 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I saw a poster at Church for an upcoming conference, held in the Church by a speaker that is dubious about Temple Symbolism, I wonder if it's appropriate for that subject to be discussed and by someone who is i'm skeptical about their knowledge base, shall we say

There is a great deal which can be said about temple symbolism, without ever mentioning any LDS symbols.  Hugh Nibley and his colleagues used to do that sort of thing all the time -- using ancient temples as their reference.  Only endowed Mormons could see the unmentioned connections.

However, it doesn't make sense that a lecture which nixes such connections would take place in an LDS church bldg.  Or be advertised therein.  Maybe the poster was put up without permission.

2 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

There is a great deal which can be said about temple symbolism, without ever mentioning any LDS symbols.  Hugh Nibley and his colleagues used to do that sort of thing all the time -- using ancient temples as their reference.  Only endowed Mormons could see the unmentioned connections.

However, it doesn't make sense that a lecture which nixes such connections would take place in an LDS church bldg.  Or be advertised therein.  Maybe the poster was put up without permission.

that's the thing someone like a Hugh Nibley would be one thing because I know they would treat this subject with care and sensitivity but I wouldn't get that from this individual. I was dumbstruck when I saw the poster for it yestarday

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

Is this a seminar-type session that is part a larger conference such as those for single adults? Bring your salt shaker! :)

Then shake your booty to the oldies.

Edited by CV75
1 minute ago, CV75 said:

Is this a seminar-type session that is part a larger conference such as those for single adults? Bring your salt shaker! :)

Then shake your booty to the oldies.

hahahahaha! no, it's for a RS conference of some kind

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

Is that it?  Is that all you are going to give me to go on?  Someone saying something about "their wheel is still turning but the hamster is long gone"?

I would think they were probably just trying to be funny.  Who is supposedly turning their wheel if not a hamster inside of it?  Are they just using their hand to keep it moving?  Why not use electricity?  But why keep the wheel turning?  What would the point of that be?

10 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

it's what's on the inside, not the buildings themselves and I would trust anything Prof. Cowan and the late Matthew B. Brown say on the subject

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

Is that it?  Is that all you are going to give me to go on?  Someone saying something about "their wheel is still turning but the hamster is long gone"?

I would think they were probably just trying to be funny.  Who is supposedly turning their wheel if not a hamster inside of it?  Are they just using their hand to keep it moving?  Why not use electricity?  But why keep the wheel turning?  What would the point of that be?

in other words THEY ARE NUTS!!!! ahhahahah! but they are miraculously in the position where people would tend to believe them and i've seen when people have disagreed with them and it ain't pretty

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

What did the poster have on it?  

Someone talking about temple symbolism could be interesting.  But then again, maybe not.  I look for truth wherever I can find it but sometimes I don't find very much from some people, while from some other people I find a lot more.

18 minutes ago, Ahab said:

What did the poster have on it?  

Someone talking about temple symbolism could be interesting.  But then again, maybe not.  I look for truth wherever I can find it but sometimes I don't find very much from some people, while from some other people I find a lot more.

it just says "Temple symbolism" as the closing presentation, and it's for 50 minutes

4 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

What symbols are unique to Mormonism?  Most temple symbols are from Freemasonry or from other sources.

If we told you and the rest of the world about those things they might start using them for their own purposes, other than how we use them, which is why we try to keep them set apart (keep them holy).  

Might be wise to talk to the bishop or RS Pres about your concerns. If that is not helpful, there is always setting off the fire alarm or calling in a bomb threat if he starts going off the rails (you would probably need to take a Sister into your confidence system so she can signal you when it gets to that point).

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

What symbols are unique to Mormonism?  Most temple symbols are from Freemasonry or from other sources.

Actually most temple symbols, including those of the Gothic cathedrals, have been around a lot longer than Freemasonry.  Indeed, every mass (eucharist) said in a Roman Catholic or Anglican church is a deliberate temple sacrifice, taken directly from the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.  And that is only the most obvious temple symbol.  The entire Roman Catholic liturgy is a Jewish liturgy, straight from the synagogue.