Sign in to follow this  

Conference expectations

23 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

It’s been several years...I think my talking days are over. Must have been something I said.....🤐

We seem to have a lot of talks that are just reviews of Conference addresses.

You had to say that didn't you? You will be asked to speak within the next two weeks

23 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not this again?

Do we have to have a special thread for speculating over each and every General Conference?

I guess we do. Sigh.

It wasn't meant to be a speculation thread. I was just curious what everyone expected

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This seems to be a trend. A past conference talk is assigned as THE topic (as opposed to being suggested as merely a resource) for the talk. Often then, the sacrament meeting talk ends up being little more than a report of the conference talk and, in my view, somewhat disappointing.

I know that nowadays, some priesthood meeting (and, I assume, Relief Society) lessons are to be based on selected general conference talks. But is this to be the case in sacrament meetings as well? Is there a directive to that effect? Can someone in the know enlighten me?

In our stake, I’ve heard the term “prophetic priority.” The concept makes sense to me.  But, while we identify talks to “assign,” the invitation is to pick a principle in the talk that the speaker feels inspired to speak about. So while giving priority to prophetic messages, it generally avoids the re-hash problem.

8 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

It wasn't meant to be a speculation thread. I was just curious what everyone expected

Perhaps it wasn't meant to be speculative, but I bet that's what half the responses will be.

I was actually being a bit overdramatic.  I'm curious as to what comes out at conference, too.  Just not very curious.

7 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Perhaps it wasn't meant to be speculative, but I bet that's what half the responses will be.

I was actually being a bit overdramatic.  I'm curious as to what comes out at conference, too.  Just not very curious.

I'm hoping for good spiritual insight to a number of problems