Sign in to follow this  

Conference expectations

Are you calling for personal hopes, predictions, or wish lists?

i hope for enlightenment, inspiration, and a solid preaching of the gospel of repentance. And some good stories.

I predict new temple construction announcements, instructions on the youth programs, changes in seminary and institutes, but no major tremors.

I wish for someone to step up and fill LeGrand Richard’s and J.Golden Kimball’s shoes. Fire 🔥 and fun 🤭.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I expect God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit to bring barely noticeable, incremental changes which will have profound effects over time.  I expect the sermons preached, though unassigned, will reflect a higher order of need, and will be prompted in each case to cover just what needs to be said -- though the expression of it in each case will be very individual.

Same thing happened in my Sacrament Mtg earlier today:  The two speakers were not assigned talks, and were not related.  Yet what they said dovetailed each with the other, and fit the need of the ward.  Even the preassigned closing song summed up the two messages.

I wish we had unassigned talks once in awhile. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

I wish we had unassigned talks once in awhile. 

Next time the Bishopric call you ask if you can pick your own topic. Bonus is you will also find out how much the Bishopric trusts you. :vader:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Next time the Bishopric call you ask if you can pick your own topic. Bonus is you will also find out how much the Bishopric trusts you. :vader:

I’d deny the request. It’s actually not up to the Bishopric.  It’s up to the ward council to plan sacrament meeting topics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PacMan said:

I’d deny the request. It’s actually not up to the Bishopric.  It’s up to the ward council to plan sacrament meeting topics.

Not according to the current handbook.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PacMan said:

In Ward Council meeting the bishopric may ask for suggestions for topics, but the ultimate decision resides with the bishopric.  This from Handbook 2, 18.2.2.2:

(I can't get the above to not be in bold. It wasn't intened)

Planning and Conducting Sacrament Meeting

Members of the bishopric plan sacrament meetings and conduct them in a reverent and dignified manner. They oversee the administration of the sacrament, select subjects for talks and music, select and orient participants, and invite members to give opening and closing prayers.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/handbook-2-administering-the-church/meetings-in-the-church/meetings-in-the-church?lang=eng#title_number3

When I was in the bishopric I would occasionally leave it up to the person to decide on the topic.  Most of the times I had a topic and would look for a someone to speak on that topic.  On occasion I would have someone I wanted to speak and would work out the topic with them.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It’s been several years...I think my talking days are over. Must have been something I said.....🤐

We seem to have a lot of talks that are just reviews of Conference addresses.

Edited by Bernard Gui

Not this again?

Do we have to have a special thread for speculating over each and every General Conference?

I guess we do. Sigh.

Edited by Stargazer

Maybe combine it with the old one that just got bumped up and pin it.  Then we can keep track of hits and misses too.

9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not this again?

Do we have to have a special thread for speculating over each and every General Conference?

I guess we do. Sigh.

It is either that or another thread on homosexuality, the latest purported child abuse case done by someone who once held a church calling, or yet another thinly veiled attempt to start a political thread.

All things considered, this is probably the best option.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not this again?

I guess we do. Sigh.

I’m not sure this is speculation but a thread about what we want to get, spiritually, from conference. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, Avatar4321 said:

What do you hope to get from this conference?

Since this next one will be the October conference I'm hoping I will get a stronger sense of the spirit of Christmas that will carry me through the end of the year, at least, if not until the April conference.

Then in the April conference I'm hoping to get a stronger sense of the spirit of Easter that will carry me through to the next October conference, again.

It's one o those eternal round things, I think, or at least as close as we can get to it now on this planet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

It’s been several years...I think my talking days are over. Must have been something I said.....🤐

We seem to have a lot of talks that are just reviews of Conference addresses.

This seems to be a trend. A past conference talk is assigned as THE topic (as opposed to being suggested as merely a resource) for the talk. Often then, the sacrament meeting talk ends up being little more than a report of the conference talk and, in my view, somewhat disappointing.

I know that nowadays, some priesthood meeting (and, I assume, Relief Society) lessons are to be based on selected general conference talks. But is this to be the case in sacrament meetings as well? Is there a directive to that effect? Can someone in the know enlighten me?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

I’m not sure this is speculation but a thread about what we want to get, spiritually, from conference. 

Perhaps.  But I'm sure some of us want the WoW rescinded and have speculated about it.  Or will do so.  I have no objection.

13 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This seems to be a trend. A past conference talk is assigned as THE topic (as opposed to being suggested as merely a resource) for the talk. Often then, the sacrament meeting talk ends up being little more than a report of the conference talk and, in my view, somewhat disappointing.

I know that nowadays, some priesthood meeting (and, I assume, Relief Society) lessons are to be based on selected general conference talks. But is this to be the case in sacrament meetings as well? Is there a directive to that effect? Can someone in the know enlighten me?

There is no directive to do that. And, it's a terrible idea. In our ward, a theme is picked for the meeting and then individual topics are assigned as a question. 

For example--

Theme: Revelation

Topics: What are some practical ways to increase my sensitivity to the Spirit? What role does counseling with others play in revelation? How can I receive personal revelation? Who can (and can't) I receive revelation for?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Often then, the sacrament meeting talk ends up being little more than a report of the conference talk and, in my view, somewhat disappointing.

The original speaker usually gives the talk much better than the person recapping recaps it.  Might as well just watch the original again :)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

is this to be the case in sacrament meetings as well? Is there a directive to that effect? Can someone in the know enlighten me?

It's very tempting to assign something from general conference to the next speaker.  There are many things taught that are worth repeating and not everyone that is in the pews on Sunday watches conference.  It has to be a good speaker thought, or they just end up reading the talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Since this next one will be the October conference I'm hoping I will get a stronger sense of the spirit of Christmas that will carry me through the end of the year, at least, if not until the April conference.

Personally, I'm hoping for a spooky talk. 

Maybe something about a ghost?

2 hours ago, ksfisher said:

It's very tempting to assign something from general conference to the next speaker.  There are many things taught that are worth repeating and not everyone that is in the pews on Sunday watches conference.  It has to be a good speaker thought, or they just end up reading the talk.

I have no problem with suggesting the talk by Elder So-and-So — and perhaps other talks — as a resource for a speaker to draw on in his/her preparation. But I’m afraid it has settled into the practice of giving a talk about a talk. 

25 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I have no problem with suggesting the talk by Elder So-and-So — and perhaps other talks — as a resource for a speaker to draw on in his/her preparation. But I’m afraid it has settled into the practice of giving a talk about a talk. 

It seems to be a tradition in the Church to quote what other people have said about things, whether from the standard works or from what someone said in some General Conference talk.  I think maybe it comes from the idea our Lord shared about how everything should be established by the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses coupled with the idea that somehow we should try to help others find where they can find additional witnesses to what we are saying.  I don't have a problem thinking that other people should do their own homework, though, so I often say things that others have said without providing the book, chapter and verse or even the name of who or where I got the ideas that I am sharing.  None of us has any original ideas.  Everything we say has already been said by somebody else.  I just prefer to go with the flow when I feel inspired to say something without having to worry about telling others where they can find other people who have already said what I am saying. 

And I also understand that when I am hearing from someone I am hearing from them, from whatever stage they are in in their own spiritual development, even if other people were also in the same stage when they said what they said.  So I mainly just enjoy learning about them.

In the Bishopric I attend meetings with unless the Bishop has something specific in mind (rare) the counselor conducting for the month picks the topics along with the speakers and I do not even know what it is. I know one of the counselors sometimes leaves the topic up to the speakers. Usually this is someone seasoned in gospel and trusted. To some it may be intimidating not to have a topic and with others it can be downright dangerous. I am okay with not having a theme.

Edited by The Nehor

11 hours ago, ksfisher said:

To me it’s like the difference between writing a book and giving a book report. I think GC addresses are important resources along with scriptures and personal experiences, but a talk that proceeds along the line “I have been asked to base my talk on a Conference address given by Elder X or Sister Y. Elder X started out by saying, ‘.....,’ and then he said ‘.....’ And then Sister Y made three points, number one......’” this seems like an easy way out for everyone. It doesn’t allow for much personal study and growth, but that’s just my opinion.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1