Sign in to follow this  
smac97

An Odd Story from the Philippines

Here:

An American woman has been charged with human trafficking for allegedly attempting to smuggle an undocumented six-day-old baby out of the Philippines hidden in a bag.

Jennifer Erin Talbot was arrested at Manila’s airport on Wednesday and charged with human trafficking, kidnapping and child abuse.

Talbot was able to pass through the airport immigration counter without declaring the baby boy but was intercepted at the boarding gate by airline personnel.

A baby "hidden in a bag."  Weird.

The 43-year-old was unable to produce any passport, boarding pass or government permits for the baby, airport officials said. It is alleged she planned to board a Delta flight to Ohio.

“She’s from a Mormon church and they’re trying to get the baby to be baptised and get church recognition for protection,” said Marlon Toledo, the supervising agent for the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

According to an unsigned affidavit letter Talbot had with her at the airport, seen by the Guardian, the trip to the US was supposed to be temporary and “not exceed 6 weeks”. It names the child as “Andrew” and spells out the alleged purpose of the trip: for the baby “to receive a ‘name and a blessing’ and attain membership within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”.

Why would the baby need to be blessed in the U.S., rather than in the Philippines?

The confusion about "attain{ing} membership" in the Church is understandable, given both the text of the unsigned affidavit and the tradition of baptizing infants in the heavily-Catholic Philippines.

The letter said the child was to receive American medical vaccines and a checkup, and would be taken to “meet his great-grandmother before she passes”. Allegedly written by the biological mother of the child, Maricris Dulap, it sets out the return date as 8 October 2019 but was not signed.
He said the woman had an application for a passport for the child with her, but had not processed it. “[She says] the reason for her story is, she said that her grandmother was dying, she is in the hospital, she has to go back to the United States,” he said.

This context helps, a bit.  If the baby's great-grandmother is dying, then I could envision a scenario where getting a passport for the baby would take too much time, hence the (foolish) plan to try to smuggle him out of the country.

Then again, perhaps there is something more nefarious at work:

Talbot had previously entered the Philippines last year, with entry stamps showing she arrived on 6 August and 2 July 2018, Toledo said. Most recently, she arrived in the Philippines on 6 August and again on 19 August this year. The child was born on 29 August.

Describing Talbot as a “frequent traveller”, Toledo said she also held a long-term visa for China and had been to a number of different countries.

Officials said no government travel approval had been issued for the baby, prompting them to file human-trafficking charges against Talbot. The charges carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment. Talbot also allegedly violated at least two other laws on child abuse, kidnapping and illegal detention, the NBI said.
The baby’s parents have been charged under a child protection law but have not been placed under arrest, although the mother has been interviewed by social welfare officers, according to Dimaano.

He said Dulap told the officers she wanted to offer her baby for adoption, and that there was no indication she had sold the baby.

So Ms. Talbot travels to the Philippines a lot.  And to China, and to "a number of different countries."  This could mean merely that she likes to travel, but it could also mean that she's involved in something bad (like human trafficking). 

Meanwhile, the birth mother is talking to law enforcement and admitting "she wanted to offer her baby for adoption."  This is perhaps the most significant piece of evidence, as it lends credence to the human trafficking angle.

Some additional pieces of info from other news outlets:

• "Jennifer Talbot was 'trying to bring out of the country a 6-day old baby without proper travel documents, the press release says. She’s accused of meeting the mother online, according to Daily Mail, although the press release doesn’t mention that."  (Source)
  • "UK Daily Mail reported that Jennifer Erin Talbot is married with five children."  (Source)
  • "Jennifer Talbot was working at a local mall {in Utah}, according to Daily Mail, which also wrote that she was married three times."  (Source)
  • "Talbot, from Ohio, was unable to produce any passport, boarding pass or government permits for the baby, airport officials said."   (Source)
  • "Although authorities say she’s from Ohio, and online records show she has ties there, records show she was living in Sandy, Utah."  (Source)
  • "Public records indicate she has been living in Utah. Philippines officials previously said Talbot was from Ohio, and records indicate she has family connections there.  Property records obtained Thursday show Talbot owns a home in a suburb of Salt Lake City, and got a traffic citation there in March. People answering the door in Sandy, Utah, declined to comment to The Associated Press."  (Source)
  • "Asked to provide documents for the ‘accompanying’ child, Talbot of Ohio claimed to be the newborn’s aunt."  (Source)
  • "Talbot was attempting to board a Delta flight to Detroit but could not provide documents for the infant, he said. She was ultimately bound for Columbus, Ohio, he added."  (Source)
  • "According to Talbot, the boy's mother agreed to let her adopt the baby after they met online. She travelled to the southern city of Davao on August 21 to meet the woman, and stayed with her until she gave birth nine days later."  (Source)
  • "The NBI said the baby's 19-year-old biological mother had wanted the boy adopted and was aware Talbot intended to take the baby to the United States."  (Source)
  • "The baby's biological mother reportedly told DSWD that she wanted her baby to be adopted 'so she browsed the Internet and stumbled upon Talbot', reported the Philippine Star."  (Source)
  • "Talbot, who was raised in Ohio, has no previous criminal history in the US. She told officers she is married with 'five special children', though its unclear if they're all biological or not."  (Source)
  • "Talbot has been married three times and currently lives with her husband Lawrence, 58, in Sandy, Utah."  (Source)
  • "The University of Utah alum was ready to board a Delta Air Lines flight to the United States with the baby at Ninoy Aquino International Airport..."  (Source)
  • "During questioning, Talbot is said to have told investigators that Dulap was a friend of her brother's ex-girlfriend, and that she'd been staying with her from the day the baby was born up until she attempted to fly home with the infant."  (Source)
  • "In contrast however, Dulap told officers her and Talbot met online.  It's during their online interactions that authorities believe the pair negotiated the adoption of the then-unborn child."  (Source)
  • "Talbot kept her head low and appeared at times to be on the verge of tears throughout the parade and subsequent press conference.  She only broke her silence to say she was from Ohio, despite investigators listing her current home as an address in Utah."  (Source)

At first blush, there seems to be some subterfuge going on. 

Did Talbot claim to be the baby's aunt? 

Did she negotiate an extra-legal adoption with the birth mother? 

Did the birth mother really just "stumble" into Talbon online? 

Is the story about the dying grandmother false? 

Is the birth mother really a friend of Talbot's brother's ex-girlfriend? 

And what's with the unsigned affidavit's reference to getting the baby blessed in the U.S.?  

The evidence to date is sparse and ambiguous, and even contradictory in some ways.  We'd best let things play out, and avoid reaching premature conclusions.

Things don't look good for Talbot, though.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 4

Yeah, read about this yesterday and thought it was a classic human trafficking incident, but given all the circumstances you mention that I hadn't yet encountered, it looks like it might very well be a lot more complicated than I thought.

• Like 1

Just a dumb move by these two women, the mother and the woman from Sandy Utah. I'd hate to see her go to prison, unless she is for real a human trafficker but from Smac's information it doesn't appear that way. Hopefully not. :(

What happens to the child? I care much less about what happens to her.

Edited by The Nehor

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

What happens to the child? I care much less about what happens to her.

So true! I'm thinking the mother thinks the US is better for her child? 

15 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

So true! I'm thinking the mother thinks the US is better for her child? 

I want to know how much dearest mom was paid. I am not particularly charitable.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I want to know how much dearest mom was paid. I am not particularly charitable.

Brings to mind how expensive the adoption process is around the world.  In the US it can be between 30K to 60K in many jurisdictions.  I consider this to be an extortion racket.  It is a shame how many women abort their babies and refuse to allow adoption (even retaining their desire for termination up to the time of birth).

Maybe the Filipino mother is living in poverty and unmarried so she is in desperate straits.  Maybe the Ohio woman is tapped out and cannot afford the fees by the Philippine government.

2 hours ago, longview said:

Brings to mind how expensive the adoption process is around the world.  In the US it can be between 30K to 60K in many jurisdictions.  I consider this to be an extortion racket.  It is a shame how many women abort their babies and refuse to allow adoption (even retaining their desire for termination up to the time of birth).

Maybe the Filipino mother is living in poverty and unmarried so she is in desperate straits.  Maybe the Ohio woman is tapped out and cannot afford the fees by the Philippine government.

The American woman is already the mother of 5 children. If she can't afford the fees to adopt then how can she possibly afford to raise a sixth child? She sounds terribly misguided at best and plain idiotic at worst. Very sad that her stupidity may lead to life in a foreign prison. ☹️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, katherine the great said:

The American woman is already the mother of 5 children. If she can't afford the fees to adopt then how can she possibly afford to raise a sixth child? She sounds terribly misguided at best and plain idiotic at worst. Very sad that her stupidity may lead to life in a foreign prison. ☹️

That is one perspective.  But I have a gut feeling God is very pleased with her for desiring to nurture more children and to be a mother in Israel.

31 minutes ago, longview said:

That is one perspective.  But I have a gut feeling God is very pleased with her for desiring to nurture more children and to be a mother in Israel.

25 minutes ago, Calm said:

And teaching her kids that the way to do so is to violate law and risk leaving her kids without a mother?  

She isn’t nurturing her current children by her risky and criminal behaviour.

He may be pleased with her desire, but I think he would be happier if she had thought about the needs of her current children first rather than sacrifice them in her need to mother another child. 

And let’s not forget she may now put unnecessary hardship on them by diverting money spent on their care to her legal fees. 

Mosiah 4:27 does come to mind.  One's desire to do good does not override the necessity that even the best things be done "in wisdom and order."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longview said:

What do you mean by "a mother in Israel"? Must be an LDS phrase since she's not connected to the state of Israel.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

And teaching her kids that the way to do so is to violate law and risk leaving her kids without a mother?  

She isn’t nurturing her current children by her risky and criminal behaviour.

He may be pleased with her desire, but I think he would be happier if she had thought about the needs of her current children first rather than sacrifice them in her need to mother another child. 

And let’s not forget she may now put unnecessary hardship on them by diverting money spent on their care to her legal fees. 

I agree. Whatever her motives were, her methods were irresponsible.  As a mother I cannot relate to this at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

What do you mean by "a mother in Israel"? Must be an LDS phrase since she's not connected to the state of Israel.

Yes. It's also a Biblical phrase.

2 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

It's a phrase that comes from the Old Testament, but it's common in latter-day saint vernacular.  

3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Mosiah 4:27 does come to mind.  One's desire to do good does not override the necessity that even the best things be done "in wisdom and order."

I agree with all responders.  It is better to be prudent and avoid extremism.  Do not let perfection be the enemy of the good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

32 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It's a phrase that comes from the Old Testament, but it's common in latter-day saint vernacular.  

From Sheri Dew's talk in General Conference in October 2001:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2001/10/are-we-not-all-mothers?lang=eng&query=mother+israel

"Few of us will reach our potential without the nurturing of both the mother who bore us and the mothers who bear with us. I was thrilled recently to see one of my youth leaders for the first time in years. As a teenager who had absolutely no self-confidence, I always sidled up to this woman because she would put her arm around me and say, “You are just the best girl!” She loved me, so I let her lead me. How many young men and women are desperate for your love and leadership? Do we fully realize that our influence as mothers in Israel is irreplaceable and eternal?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longview said:

By taking a SIX day old baby across the ocean? A baby that age shouldn’t  be taken to a mall. Criminal acts aren’t usually considered nurturing. 

• Like 3

Just curious if anyone would consider this such a good thing if she had kidnapped a baby from say, Sweden. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

2 hours ago, katherine the great said:

Yes. It's also a Biblical phrase.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I Googled the terms "Mother in Israel" and LDS, and this came up, Miserere Nobis.  Some of it is "Latter-day-Saintism 8500," which is, of course, well beyond "Latter-day Saintism 1010," but perhaps it does provide some useful context and background as to how and why members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints might use the phrase.  Happy reading, if you're so inclined! ;)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/service/serving-in-the-church/relief-society/RS-SG1-MothersInIsrael-eng.pdf

• Like 3

On 9/6/2019 at 7:29 AM, smac97 said:

The University of Utah alum....

Well, that explains everything.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Hey, hey, hey, now!  Don't be hatin' on the Utes!

Sincerely,

Kenngo1969, aka Proud Graduate of The Devil's School! :diablo::D:rofl::D

I tried to get into The Lord's University (:huh::unknw:), but I couldn't get admitted, so, given the fiscal realities of the situation and the fact that it didn't make sense for me to go elsewhere even though a couple of out-of-state schools accepted me and offered me modest honors-at-entrance, A Utah Man, Sir I became!

By the way, props to the Cougars for pulling off the improbable win at UT, especially in enemy territory!  I have to admit, I wasn't optimistic, given the Cougs' performance against my Utes, and I missed the best part of the game when the Cougs self-destructed late while deep in their own territory!  I should've had more faith!

(Besides, don't forget: The "U" used to be The University of Deseret! ;))

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Hey, hey, hey, now!  Don't be hatin' on the Utes!

Sincerely,

Kenngo1969, aka Proud Graduate of The Devil's School! :diablo::D:rofl::D

I tried to get into The Lord's University (:huh::unknw:), but I couldn't get admitted, so, given the fiscal realities of the situation and the fact that it didn't make sense for me to go elsewhere even though a couple of out-of-state schools accepted me and offered me modest honors-at-entrance, A Utah Man, Sir I became!

By the way, props to the Cougars for pulling off the improbable win at UT, especially in enemy territory!  I have to admit, I wasn't optimistic, given the Cougs' performance against my Utes, and I missed the best part of the game when the Cougs self-destructed late while deep in their own territory!  I should've had more faith!

(Besides, don't forget: The "U" used to be The University of Deseret! ;))

We won’t let this stand between us, will we? 

7 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

This is why i like latter day saints, you're one of the few Christian groups I've ever heard similar things from.  The short sightedness of people when it comes to child welfare has always astounded me.

3 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

My thoughts as well

• Like 1