Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

"Other announcements" Pres. Nelson

I still have my new coffeemaker in my Amazon wish list.  Maybe I will get to buy it soon...

4 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

I still have my new coffeemaker in my Amazon wish list.  Maybe I will get to buy it soon...

Maybe you could get a prescription from your doc and then it will be okay to break the WoW. I swear I've heard this happening. Once when I bought some supplements from a lady my mother in law recommended I see for a medical condition, there was coffee in the drops to be put under my tongue! I thought it was funny.

4 hours ago, 2BizE said:

Coffee breath........like a dirty baby diaper filled with llama spit and skunk weed. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 4:24 PM, Calm said:

There is the youth program stuff.  It may not be completely new, but talks about integrating it, etc. might be considered announcements.

The youth program stuff is going to be announced on September 29 during the second hour of church but like you said, they could still be going over how to integrate everything.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2BizE said:

After the latest clarification on how coffee is not allowed if one is going to follow the WoW, I doubt it.  :D 

• Like 4

So when President Nelson says that this work is moving forward at an accelerated pace, what is he referring to?

It isn't baptisms.

It isn't the number of missionaries.

It isn't temples.

What is accelerating?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Perhaps it’s a question of who is accelerating.

He said "This work..." so it isn't really a "who" question.

6 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

I believe we’ve all been invited, by the Savior and His prophet, to accelerate our efforts.

I see many around me who have accepted that invitation.

I believe we would all do well to join them.

So, it's our efforts that have been accelerating?  Not necessarily to any quantifiable result, just an increasing effort among the Saints that is being felt by our prophet?

Edited by rockpond

1 hour ago, rockpond said:

So when President Nelson says that this work is moving forward at an accelerated pace, what is he referring to?

It isn't baptisms.

It isn't temples.

What is accelerating?

Direct quote in context, please.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rockpond said:

As I have noted several times in the past, we are seeing a huge division locally. Members who are following prophetic counsel are going from strength to strength. When we share experiences at church, their hands all go up. Their kids are faithful and strong. They are guided by revelation. Their conversion is visibly deepening. They are engaged in missionary work. They are engaged in temple work. They are ministering to both assigned families and each other with heart and soul. And so forth. It's measurable. As just one example, I serve in the temple, and we were told last month that we performed a record number of ordinances in July, with the number of patrons attending also the highest it's ever been.

In contrast, our more cynical members are fading fast. They can't even see what's happening. Unless something changes, at some point, they won't be with us any longer. I hate that! But the trend is obvious.

Our area president has told us that this is exactly what he has observed across our area. In some cases, whole wards/branches/stakes have caught the vision and are flourishing. In our case, it's kind of a salt-and-pepper thing.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Direct quote in context, please.  

Thew news release is in the OP.  That's all I've got  - I wasn't in Brazil. :)  If someone wants to add context, that would be great!

1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

As I have noted several times in the past, we are seeing a huge division locally. Members who are following prophetic counsel are going from strength to strength. When we share experiences at church, their hands all go up. Their kids are faithful and strong. They are guided by revelation. Their conversion is visibly deepening. They are engaged in missionary work. They are engaged in temple work. They are ministering to both assigned families and each other with heart and soul. And so forth. It's measurable. As just one example, I serve in the temple, and we were told last month that we performed a record number of ordinances in July, with the number of patrons attending also the highest it's ever been.

In contrast, our more cynical members are fading fast. They can't even see what's happening. Unless something changes, at some point, they won't be with us any longer. I hate that! But the trend is obvious.

Our area president has told us that this is exactly what he has observed across our area. In some cases, whole wards/branches/stakes have caught the vision and are flourishing. In our case, it's kind of a salt-and-pepper thing.

Good answer.  A little broad-brushed, but that makes sense to me.

34 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

A few invitations.

First, ponder the idea of “this work” in the context of God’s declaration regarding His purpose “this is my work...” a qualitative measure of whos, not what’s, and a work we are all necessarily involved if we are to partake in the eternal life He desires for, but won’t force upon, each of us.

Second, while we are not adverse to using quantifiable measures when thinking about our spiritual progress, it’s clearly not the aim of our existence. In fact, when the Savior described how we can individually progress He used subjective, not objective measures: peacemaker, meekness, poor in spirit, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, pure in heart, etc.

Similarly, you no doubt recall the emphasis of modern prophets on “becoming”... another subjective measure.

So, I’d suggest a focus solely on quantitative measures is contrary to God’s ultimate measure of His children...our hearts. God doesn’t have a quota for exalted offspring.  His promise is to love each of us, impart knowledge and wisdom to all who ask Him for  such with the requisite intent, and honor each child’s agency.

Finally, don’t take my word for any of this.  I was reminded again recently that we value much more those things we discover with Divine input above those things we are told, even if we believe them when we are told. I know that’s been my experience so I invite you to ponder this issue if it’s important to you, consult Deity, and discover.

Godspeed to you in your efforts.

This is certainly a matter of study, prayer, and pondering for me.  Has been for quite some time.

Like @Hamba Tuhan has described, I see great things happening in terms of "becoming" and ministering.  If that's what President Nelson is referring to, than I agree.  It brings me great joy.

I also see those who doubt and who don't fit the mold being cast aside.  And that makes me sad.  And doesn't make me feel like "the work" is accelerating.

14 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I also see those who doubt and who don't fit the mold being cast aside.  And that makes me sad.  And doesn't make me feel like "the work" is accelerating.

Absolutely no one is 'being cast aside'. But a moving vehicle forces a choice: on or off. And vacillation becomes increasingly difficult if the vehicle is indeed accelerating. As it does you, this makes me sad. But I don't think anyone has the power to change the basic 'physics' of the situation.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Absolutely no one is 'being cast aside'.

Not my experience but I accept that it is yours.

28 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

But I don't think anyone has the power to change the basic 'physics' of the situation.

I thought you weren't in the cynical side.

4 hours ago, rockpond said:

It isn't baptisms.

It isn't temples.

What is accelerating?

In the book of Acts 18:5-6, Paul is firm in his testimony to the Jews:  

5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.

6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

It is my opinion that all acceleration is focused on bearing witness of Jesus Christ and his gospel. How many times do we talk of Christ? How many times do prophets and apostles tell the world of the teachings of Christ?  How often are they rejected by the world. How often are their warnings rejected on this board?  How many things do you think I or any faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ could list?  It would be endless. Do those with hardened hearts hear? No, their ears are closed, their hearts have long become as stone, and they never see what is front of their nose. 

There is no obligation, nor has there ever been, that the Church must baptize the world. The intent of the Great Commission is that we warn our neighbor; that we preach Christ and his gospel; that we find the pure in heart and assist in baptizing them. However, their being baptized is by their choice. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I thought you weren't in the cynical side.

It probably depends on the issue.

But all four standard works are filled with stories of people choosing to be left behind. Maybe God has learnt some new tricks to stop it happening this time? :unknw:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Can see similiar things happening on twitter too.

Oh and since we are talking about convert baptisms, president Nelson just predicted brazils membership is about to go viral. Not sure specifically what he means by that.

https://www.calledtoshare.com/2019/09/03/membership-viral-brazil/

5 hours ago, rockpond said:

It isn't baptisms.

It isn't temples.

What is accelerating?

To me, I think it means the work of the Church in general. The Prophet will tell us what we should know or do, that doesn’t stop just because there is a low baptism count. It is moving, we can all choose to not be part of, it but it’s moving. The second coming is coming regardless of how involved someone chooses to be. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Oh and since we are talking about convert baptisms, president Nelson just predicted brazils membership is about to go viral.

I checked this against the actual Newsroom media release. The 'viral' quote is not in the original Church source, nor is one about temples. There may be others. I have no idea, then, where this site is getting these quotes or why they would insert them into a Newsroom piece without indicating that they are adding to an official media release.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I checked this against the actual Newsroom media release. The 'viral' quote is not in the original Church source, nor is one about temples. There may be others. I have no idea, then, where this site is getting these quotes or why they would insert them into a Newsroom piece without indicating that they are adding to an official media release.

Thats disappointing if they made it up

36 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Oh and since we are talking about convert baptisms, president Nelson just predicted brazils membership is about to go viral. Not sure specifically what he means by that.

It's better that way... then, no matter what happens, we can make it fit his prediction.  (Assuming they quoted him correctly.  If he did say that, the Church's news release was smart enough not to document it.)

29 minutes ago, Nacho2dope said:

To me, I think it means the work of the Church in general. The Prophet will tell us what we should know or do, that doesn’t stop just because there is a low baptism count. It is moving, we can all choose to not be part of, it but it’s moving. The second coming is coming regardless of how involved someone chooses to be. 

So it's basically just a platitude.  Nothing specific meant by it, not definable change, just the church is moving.

I'm fine with that.  I was just curious if anyone had an idea of what the prophet specifically may have been referring to as "moving forward at an accelerated pace".  And I think there have been some insightful answers to that.

• Like 1