Seriously No Politics ×

"Other announcements" Pres. Nelson

15 hours ago, CV75 said:

Because he would have said, “Those temples don't need to be large and ostentatious like [all / some of] the ones we have already…” Sometimes people use a little bit of trenchancy while empathizing with the audience in their self-expression.

Pity the day should the USA no longer values the advancement of religion as a charitable activity benefiting the public good!

To a large extent, this has already happened.  As religion has moved away from being focused on charitable activity to political agendas.  There are many non religious organizations who have stepped up to fill that gap.  IMO political activism is one of the main reasons why the fastest growing religion in America is non-religion.  People are simply loosing respect for what religion now stands for.  Things like strong support for immoral candidates and supporting discrimination is fueling those attitudes.  

21 minutes ago, california boy said:

And here folks is an example of a 'Dog Whistle" that was talked about in another thread. Watch out for "the gays".  They are going to take away your right to build temples.  

So now we can't use the idiom "baked into" because someone has linked it to gay activists? ( I am assuming because of the bakery lawsuit)

17 minutes ago, Calm said:

So now we can't use the idiom "baked into" because someone has linked it to gay activists? ( I am assuming because of the bakery lawsuit)

There are a lot of words that could have been used.  There is only a few words that could imply that the gay activists will somehow try and stop temple building.  Guess which word was chosen.  And as was pointed out in the thread that talked about "dog whistles", this is the exact reasons hy dog whistles are used, to allow for denied prejudice, an argument you are now in fact using.

Come on Calm.  You don't think there was a prejudice purpose in using the word baked?

6 hours ago, california boy said:

There are a lot of words that could have been used.  There is only a few words that could imply that the gay activists will somehow try and stop temple building.  Guess which word was chosen.  And as was pointed out in the thread that talked about "dog whistles", this is the exact reasons hy dog whistles are used, to allow for denied prejudice, an argument you are now in fact using.

Come on Calm.  You don't think there was a prejudice purpose in using the word baked?

I find it a stretch to assume a nonAmerican pays that close of attention to American language games.

Dog whistles in general I have no doubt exist.  Lots of people thinking they are clever at slamming others while acting innocent about it, trying to avoid responsibility.  I know some.  Hamba doesn't seem the type who hides behind such games.

Hamba isn't exactly shy in being open about his criticisms of whatever from what I have seen and a very frequent target is "progressives".  I see no reason to assume that in this case it doesn't actually mean progressives, but gays.

I haven't seen much to indicate that Hamba spends a sufficient amount of time on American political boards to pick that kind of stuff up.

But perhaps he was slyly providing an example....as in he came up with it on his own and was really thinking "gays" when he was claiming to be criticizing progressives in general... which btw I think is more consistent with what he focuses on to criticize than reducing " progressives" to gays.  I don't remember him mentioning gays in the context of his own country's problems with religious freedom, but perhaps you can point those occasions out.  Progressives, otoh...like I say above I get a vibe he is unhappy with how they are running his country, etc. (and if he is accurate in his description of what they are doing in his country and I have no reason to assume he is and quite a few to assume he is, I can understand why).

So why would Hamba in this one case promote gays to first place on his criticism list over his more typical progressives, but pretend he wasn’t? If you can give a reason that sounds like Hamba, I will consider it...but ‘American bigots use it that way’ doesn’t really work for me.

While "baked into" isn't a common idiom in my experience, google brings it up 12 times on this board, 8 uses since 2017.  Only once was the topic related to homosexuality.

add-on:  I did a Google on "baked into" and "gay" and the majority that came up were condemning anti- gay stances, etc.  

Edited by Calm

On 9/9/2019 at 5:29 PM, rockpond said:

It does seem to fit the “scaled down and less ostentatious” descriptor from President Nelson (when compared to most US temples I’ve seen)

4.5 years planning time

3 construction

I haven’t extracted the data for temples in general to see how that compares.  I wonder if someone has or if I would need to go thru each temple to compile it. 

This has me thinking of the refugees that come to AZ. I would have to check, but I think that the Congo is the only place where we have refugees come from that has a temple. A temple wouldn't be allowed in many of the other countries.

I really can put no facts to it or even a loose feeling, but my gut feeling is that there is a connection of how the temple is designed, what is going on in the country and why the refugees are coming from there. Not a direct connection, but it just all goes into the same mix. 

So I'm thinking that the Lord might love to have a Gilbert, AZ sized temple in the Congo, but that may cause more strife in the country than there already is. If we scale it back then the saints will find it easier to attend there safely. 

I don't know. I've got a lot of thoughts swirling around in my head with all the different things that happen here and there and think it bigger and smaller, more decorated and less would all make sense if we knew what was all behind it like the Lord does and like He directs the leaders as they learn more and more about those specific places.

7 hours ago, california boy said:

To a large extent, this has already happened.  As religion has moved away from being focused on charitable activity to political agendas.  There are many non religious organizations who have stepped up to fill that gap.  IMO political activism is one of the main reasons why the fastest growing religion in America is non-religion.  People are simply loosing respect for what religion now stands for.  Things like strong support for immoral candidates and supporting discrimination is fueling those attitudes.  

Yet the churches still have tax exempt status, a litmus test for acceptance by the secular state if not individuals' political conscience.

14 hours ago, Rain said:

I would have to check, but I think that the Congo is the only place where we have refugees come from that has a temple.

If you consider that we just dedicated a House of the Lord in a nation where recent violence has displaced 4.5 million people, it seems quite miraculous.

So I'm thinking that the Lord might love to have a Gilbert, AZ sized temple in the Congo ...

I think you're right. And someday we will probably renovate the Kinshasa Temple -- as we did the Friberg Temple -- in the midst of building several new ones in the the nation (and quite possibly across the river in Brazzaville). The Lord knows how to play the long game. I'm the one who is impatient!

15 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

If you consider that we just dedicated a House of the Lord in a nation where recent violence has displaced 4.5 million people, it seems quite miraculous.

I think you're right. And someday we will probably renovate the Kinshasa Temple -- as we did the Friberg Temple -- in the midst of building several new ones in the the nation (and quite possibly across the river in Brazzaville). The Lord knows how to play the long game. I'm the one who is impatient!

Yes and timely with the recent cuts of refugees being allowed into the US and other countries.  

• 5 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 4:35 PM, Duncan said:

It took 5 ish years to get approval, just the simple approval to build the Temple here in Canada, not to judge but the Temple in the Congo was announced, approved and built before this one. How on earth is the infrastructure better in the Congo than in Canada? yikes a licious

I'm not sure what planning and zoning is like in Canada or in Africa.  That said, infrastructure might not be better in Africa than it is in Canada, but permitting, approval, building, and so on might be easier because there might be less red tape.