Seriously No Politics ×

Best Desktop Scripture Program

On 8/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, champatsch said:

I use WordCruncher almost every day in my work. I'm an advanced user who creates many ebooks. I couldn't do as accurate work as I do without it. One ebook I use has 700 million words. Another has 100 million words. A very large number of precise and complex searches are possible using WordCruncher, including with the scriptures, which Monte Shelley has been maintaining carefully for years.

For church related information I just use GospeLink.com online. 

• 2 weeks later...

The search feature on the Gospel Library app (produced by the Church) seems to work pretty well.

Available on Windows Store and Google Play Store (and, I imagine, the Apple Store, but I'm not an Apple user).

The search feature on the Gospel Library app (produced by the Church) seems to work pretty well.

Available on Windows Store and Google Play Store (and, I imagine, the Apple Store, but I'm not an Apple user).

Edited by caspianrex

Don't know why that last post double posted, but anyways...

Here's a screen cap of the Gospel Library app (Windows version). You can see that it gives you the ability to filter search results.

image.thumb.png.87494fce9322d5841d0a195d1af50685.png

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

RIP, Clark. :( (If any of us needed a reminder of mortality's impermanence and transience ...)

Wow, just found out about this, as I hadn't checked in on this forum for a little while.

Sad to hear. I enjoyed many of Clark's posts, even though I'm a fairly new member here.

Praying for his family...

On 8/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, JarMan said:

Is there any way to get Skousen's The Earliest Text in WordCruncher format?

There are two in-house versions of this, but neither has been released to the public. One is maintained by Monte Shelley, one by me. I don't know when these might be publicly released; it depends on the Yale edition copyright.

For now, you'd have to make your own, as I did in 2013. It probably takes between 20 and 30 hours to do.

Earlier this year I finished tagging the critical text for part of speech. A first draft is now complete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, clarkgoble said:

Getting back to Wordcrucher - it's basically an abandoned piece of software. While Microsoft puts more resources behind backwards compatibility than Apple, the day will come that it'll probably not work in the current version of Windows. I'd add that having to load a resource hungry virtual machine is also a bit of a pain. It's not a problem at home where I have 48G of RAM but my laptop at work is only 8G and thus much more resource constrained.

Hello! Jesse from WordCruncher here. While our resources are limited, we are still actively maintaining and updating WordCruncher. A native Mac version is in the works, and we've been cleaning up the UI. We are excited for the release hopefully early in 2020, since we recognize the limit on having a Windows version only for users. I'll be starting a Developer Blog in a couple weeks at www.wordcruncher.com to keep people updated on progress. For any direct questions, just contact us at wordcruncher@byu.edu.