bluebell

High Councilman arrested for filming a woman getting undressed

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, changed said:

How about throwing some the church's way?  Why would the church put someone like this into leadership positions?  

the church is the worst kind of enabler to claim callings are from God, and put people like this into leadership positions.

The spirit does not protect.

Callings in the church do not come from God.  

1. The church calls humans into callings.

2. Humans have agency, the ability to choose.  

3. You don't stop having agency when you accept a calling.  You don't turn into a robot, or get exalted, or become perfect.  You still have agency, you still remain an error-prone, fallen, natural-man-aspect-having agenda-driven human with a sinful side and a side which reflects your divine ancestry.

4. None of the above contradicts the notion that some callings are from God.    I've participated in 3-4 different bishoprics, and watched them do callings.  The old joke has truth to it, sometimes it's inspiration, sometimes it's desperation.  Sometimes it's common sense, sometimes extending the calling leads to significant changes in a person, whether the calling gets filled or not.  

5. If you're gonna get all judgey, then judge what the church does when someone screws up or does evil.  No really, read #3.  Think about #3.  

6. If I remember correctly, changed, you've had some horrible experiences at the hands of people with callings of stewardship over you and/or your family.  I'm sorry.  I don't remember the details, but I remember feeling for you.   Sometimes humans can hurt each other.  The evil and harm can get ramped up to eleven when they hold a position of stewardship.   I hope you're doing ok.

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, I am tired of reading this crap and trying not to lash out.

Just answer her question, why do some church leaders put someone like Murdock in high positions of trust, knowing of the harm he's done. Did you read John Dehlin's report? Don't laugh, it just might be true, many members in his ward are eyewitnesses, and in Murdock's former workplace. He was released from being a bishop at 4 years, so a year early in the usual 5 year time span. Did you know before he was called as a bishop, he had an affair? 

Why do the leaders allow this man to be in a position to interview young children and youth, in a one on one? If he is able to lead a woman to a dressing room pretending to be an employee and then photograph her in a dressing stall, what might he do in a closed door room with a child/youth? What kinds of questions or looks did he give? Did they know of the sexual harrassment of employees during his bishop years? I think they did through part of his time as bishop.

As much as I use to think the church had the members at heart, I believe the looks of the church may come first.

Immediately thereafter friends, ward members, stake members, and co-workers of Steven Murdock began reaching out to me to provide additional details to the story (which are quite disturbing).  I have now directly communicated with over 20 individuals who know Steven and Amy Murdock personally, and the details that have been reported to me include the following:

• Several reported that Steven Murdock has long been known for giving “long hugs,” making inappropriate sexual comments, and displaying “grooming behaviors” at work, with friends, and at church.
  • It has been reported to me that Steven Murdock had at least one 1+ year extramarital affair BEFORE he was called as a Mormon bishop of the Olympus 8th Ward – by someone with firsthand knowledge of the relationship.  This fact is not mentioned here to condemn or shame. It is only noted as an oddity, given that Steven was (only a few years later) called as a Mormon bishop, without repenting or receiving any church discipline for the affair (to anyone’s knowledge).  My guess is that most orthodox Mormons would not expect their bishop to have had an unrepentant extramarital affair only a few years before becoming bishop. I also guess that that top leadership certainly would not approve of such a calling, which perhaps calls into question the perception and/or teaching that Mormon Bishops are called of God (Note: I have been provided with the name of the person with whom Steven is reported to have had an affair from a person with direct knowledge of the relationship).
  • Steven Murdock reportedly has a long history of sexually harassing and at times groping women in the workplace.
    • Through a number of sources, I have been provided with the names of several victims who claim that Murdock harassed and/or groped them in the workplace, some of which have now confirmed these facts to me directly.
    • From one source: “Every work party he would hug, rub on my breasts and touch my behind. Every damn time! He ended up crossing the line more than once with other women. It was crazy how Amy (his wife) would just sit and watch. It finally came to the point where I would avoid him at all costs.”
  • It has been reported to me that Steven has a “type” – described as women who are short, very thin, “pretty,” and are in their early twenties.
  • According to reports, whenever Steven was confronted about his sexual behaviors as a “faithful, married Mormon man,” he would assure his friends and co-workers that Amy Murdock (Steven’s wife) had full knowledge of his past indiscretions, and that Amy “was fine with his behaviors.” 
  • In 2013, Steven Murdock was inexplicably called as a Mormon bishop (one of the most sacred, and sensitive positions within Mormonism) by Mormon Stake President Scott Buie.  Olympus 8th Ward.  Salt Lake Olympus Stake.
    Scott-Buie-251x300.png?resize=251%2C300

STAKE PRESIDENT SCOTT BUIE

• I have communicated with at least one ward member under Bishop Murdock who reported receiving long, unwanted, non-consensual hugs from him as bishop.  This person also indicated that Bishop Murdock felt it important to tell her her multiple times (both while her husband was present, and while she was alone with Bishop Murdock) that he (Bishop Murdock) and his wife Amy had a “healthy sex life,” which felt like an inappropriate disclosure to she and her husband given the context, and his particular “grooming” style.
  • Another member reported to me that Bishop Murdock would stare inappropriately at her chest, and send her inappropriate texts that her husband also felt were strange and inappropriate.
  • I just got off the phone with one of Bishop Steven Murdock’s final workplace victims (a recent college graduate at the time in her early 20’s).  She reported to me that while Steven was serving as bishop:
    • Bishop Steven Murdock would try to keep her after hours to work alone with her.
    • Bishop Steven Murdock would use his position/title as a Mormon bishop to shame her about her private life, and to wield undue influence over her as someone who was raised Mormon, all while continually trying to instigate sexual conversations in the workplace.
    • Bishop Steven Murdock would show her pictures of himself without a shirt on.
    • Bishop Steven Murdock would stroke her legs under the table during business meetings.
    • When considering Bishop Steven Murdock’s time alone with young girls in the bishop’s office, the victim wondered, “I can only imagine the things he talked about with girls, or the way he tried to touch them.”
  • In summary, this interviewee, along with several interviewees that I’ve now communicated with directly, report feeling harassed and terrorized by Bishop Steven Murdock.
  • In  March, 2017 – One of Bishop Murdock’s victims filed a formal report about his harassment, which led to Bishop Steven Murdock being terminated from his job with NFP .
  • Concerned about Murdock’s access to youth and young women, it has now been confirmed to me that THREE SEPARATE FAITHFUL LDS CHURCH MEMBERS promptly reported Steven Murdock’s firing and details of the harassment to President Scott Buie.  Nonetheless, and totally inexplicably, Bishop Murdock was retained by President Buie as a Mormon bishop for five additional months after his firing.
  • August, 2017: Approximately 5 months later, Bishop Murdock was finally released by President Scott Buie (after approximately 4 years of service – even though Mormon bishops normally serve for 5 years).  Again, inexplicably, President Scott Buie called Steven Murdock into the Salt Lake Olympus Stake high council – a position of even broader influence – where he served for another 2 years Ironically, part of Murdock’s responsibility as a stake high councilman was to participate in disciplinary councils of adults in his stake who were accused of marital infidelity and/or sex outside of marriage.
  • Side Notes
    • Bishop Murdock was replaced by Bishop Trent Murray, who remains as bishop of the Olympus 8th Ward.
    • November, 2017: President Scott Buie was released as Stake President, and replaced with President Keith White.

Posted (edited)

" why do some church leaders put someone like Murdock in high positions of trust, knowing of the harm he's done.

As best i can surmise, Nehor is 1000s of miles from Holladay Utah. And as best I can surmise, Nehor had zero to do with Murdock's calling....so why not ask the people involved instead of Nehor.

(side note, anonymous dog whistles of "faithful member" do not instill sense of surety and as has been pointed out, at best the anonymous dog whistle of "faithful member" does tend to suggest gossip.)

Edited by provoman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, changed said:

How about throwing some the church's way?  Why would the church put someone like this into leadership positions?  

the church is the worst kind of enabler to claim callings are from God, and put people like this into leadership positions.

I am curious as to your perspective on Judas.  Do you fault Jesus for calling him to be an apostle?

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I am curious as to your perspective on Judas.  Do you fault Jesus for calling him to be an apostle?

Thanks,

-Smac

Can we please not derail the thread with this topic?  There's always the option to start a new thread if you think the topic warrants it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Just answer her question, why do some church leaders put someone like Murdock in high positions of trust, knowing of the harm he's done. Did you read John Dehlin's report? Don't laugh, it just might be true, many members in his ward are eyewitnesses, and in Murdock's former workplace. He was released from being a bishop at 4 years, so a year early in the usual 5 year time span. Did you know before he was called as a bishop, he had an affair? 

Why do the leaders allow this man to be in a position to interview young children and youth, in a one on one? If he is able to lead a woman to a dressing room pretending to be an employee and then photograph her in a dressing stall, what might he do in a closed door room with a child/youth? What kinds of questions or looks did he give? Did they know of the sexual harrassment of employees during his bishop years? I think they did through part of his time as bishop.

As much as I use to think the church had the members at heart, I believe the looks of the church may come first.

Immediately thereafter friends, ward members, stake members, and co-workers of Steven Murdock began reaching out to me to provide additional details to the story (which are quite disturbing).  I have now directly communicated with over 20 individuals who know Steven and Amy Murdock personally, and the details that have been reported to me include the following:

• Several reported that Steven Murdock has long been known for giving “long hugs,” making inappropriate sexual comments, and displaying “grooming behaviors” at work, with friends, and at church.
  • It has been reported to me that Steven Murdock had at least one 1+ year extramarital affair BEFORE he was called as a Mormon bishop of the Olympus 8th Ward – by someone with firsthand knowledge of the relationship.  This fact is not mentioned here to condemn or shame. It is only noted as an oddity, given that Steven was (only a few years later) called as a Mormon bishop, without repenting or receiving any church discipline for the affair (to anyone’s knowledge).  My guess is that most orthodox Mormons would not expect their bishop to have had an unrepentant extramarital affair only a few years before becoming bishop. I also guess that that top leadership certainly would not approve of such a calling, which perhaps calls into question the perception and/or teaching that Mormon Bishops are called of God (Note: I have been provided with the name of the person with whom Steven is reported to have had an affair from a person with direct knowledge of the relationship).
  • Steven Murdock reportedly has a long history of sexually harassing and at times groping women in the workplace.
    • Through a number of sources, I have been provided with the names of several victims who claim that Murdock harassed and/or groped them in the workplace, some of which have now confirmed these facts to me directly.
    • From one source: “Every work party he would hug, rub on my breasts and touch my behind. Every damn time! He ended up crossing the line more than once with other women. It was crazy how Amy (his wife) would just sit and watch. It finally came to the point where I would avoid him at all costs.”
  • It has been reported to me that Steven has a “type” – described as women who are short, very thin, “pretty,” and are in their early twenties.
  • According to reports, whenever Steven was confronted about his sexual behaviors as a “faithful, married Mormon man,” he would assure his friends and co-workers that Amy Murdock (Steven’s wife) had full knowledge of his past indiscretions, and that Amy “was fine with his behaviors.” 
  • In 2013, Steven Murdock was inexplicably called as a Mormon bishop (one of the most sacred, and sensitive positions within Mormonism) by Mormon Stake President Scott Buie.  Olympus 8th Ward.  Salt Lake Olympus Stake.

• I have communicated with at least one ward member under Bishop Murdock who reported receiving long, unwanted, non-consensual hugs from him as bishop.  This person also indicated that Bishop Murdock felt it important to tell her her multiple times (both while her husband was present, and while she was alone with Bishop Murdock) that he (Bishop Murdock) and his wife Amy had a “healthy sex life,” which felt like an inappropriate disclosure to she and her husband given the context, and his particular “grooming” style.
  • Another member reported to me that Bishop Murdock would stare inappropriately at her chest, and send her inappropriate texts that her husband also felt were strange and inappropriate.
  • I just got off the phone with one of Bishop Steven Murdock’s final workplace victims (a recent college graduate at the time in her early 20’s).  She reported to me that while Steven was serving as bishop:
    • Bishop Steven Murdock would try to keep her after hours to work alone with her.
    • Bishop Steven Murdock would use his position/title as a Mormon bishop to shame her about her private life, and to wield undue influence over her as someone who was raised Mormon, all while continually trying to instigate sexual conversations in the workplace.
    • Bishop Steven Murdock would stroke her legs under the table during business meetings.
    • When considering Bishop Steven Murdock’s time alone with young girls in the bishop’s office, the victim wondered, “I can only imagine the things he talked about with girls, or the way he tried to touch them.”
  • In summary, this interviewee, along with several interviewees that I’ve now communicated with directly, report feeling harassed and terrorized by Bishop Steven Murdock.
  • In  March, 2017 – One of Bishop Murdock’s victims filed a formal report about his harassment, which led to Bishop Steven Murdock being terminated from his job with NFP .
  • Concerned about Murdock’s access to youth and young women, it has now been confirmed to me that THREE SEPARATE FAITHFUL LDS CHURCH MEMBERS promptly reported Steven Murdock’s firing and details of the harassment to President Scott Buie.  Nonetheless, and totally inexplicably, Bishop Murdock was retained by President Buie as a Mormon bishop for five additional months after his firing.
  • August, 2017: Approximately 5 months later, Bishop Murdock was finally released by President Scott Buie (after approximately 4 years of service – even though Mormon bishops normally serve for 5 years).  Again, inexplicably, President Scott Buie called Steven Murdock into the Salt Lake Olympus Stake high council – a position of even broader influence – where he served for another 2 years Ironically, part of Murdock’s responsibility as a stake high councilman was to participate in disciplinary councils of adults in his stake who were accused of marital infidelity and/or sex outside of marriage.
  • Side Notes
    • Bishop Murdock was replaced by Bishop Trent Murray, who remains as bishop of the Olympus 8th Ward.
    • November, 2017: President Scott Buie was released as Stake President, and replaced with President Keith White.

Yikes!  What a mess.....

I hope they can sort it all out and I wonder what will actually be the legal results of this case. Maybe an attorney here can give their opinion regarding what punishment this guy is likely to receive?

I feel bad for the family and cannot even imagine what this is like for their son who just returned home from his mission.  Sounds like this guy has a real history of inappropriate behavior and committing sexual abuse.  I wonder if more will come forward and press charges?   It will be one to watch....

Edited by ALarson
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Can we please not derail the thread with this topic?  There's always the option to start a new thread if you think the topic warrants it.

Fair enough.  I withdraw the request.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, I am tired of reading this crap and trying not to lash out.

I just feel like saying the opposite of every accusation and ending with "neener neener".

Equal validity.

That's one way to get equality

The significance of the statement seems to be irrelevant. Just assert anything if it makes sense or not.

Edited by mfbukowski

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Concerned about Murdock’s access to youth and young women, it has now been confirmed to me that THREE SEPARATE FAITHFUL LDS CHURCH MEMBERS promptly reported Steven Murdock’s firing and details of the harassment to President Scott Buie.  Nonetheless, and totally inexplicably, Bishop Murdock was retained by President Buie as a Mormon bishop for five additional months after his firing.

Tacenda, what's your source for all this?  It seems like you're cutting and pasting from somewhere, but I don't see a citation or link.

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Fair enough.  I withdraw the request.

Thanks,

-Smac

But of course your point came through loud and clear.

20 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Tacenda, what's your source for all this?  It seems like you're cutting and pasting from somewhere, but I don't see a citation or link.

Thanks!

It was a source I posted previously, should have included it. The dreaded...https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/steven-murdock/

I'm curious though about, if this happens again with someone else, will the Church make a comment? I don't know but i'm going to throw it out there that this stuff happens more often than we know about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Mustard created a thread . Just linking here so everyone can easily find it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

• Side Notes

You want me to explain why a man I have never met or heard of before yesterday made a decision about another man I have never met or heard of until yesterday in circumstances of which I know nothing. I should also take into account that a bunch of anonymous stories about him were somehow surely know comprehensively by the man making the decision. Okay,  I am going to say a magical pink unicorn told him to while he was tripping on LSD while skydiving with his pet tortoise whose name is Timmy. That help?

He loses credibility with me when he says things like the High Council is a position of “broader influence” and “I have communicated with at least one ward member”. A member of the High Council is much less influential then a bishop.

I am also not defending this guy. Sounds like a perv who should be locked up. I know you want the Priesthood to be a magical faerie dust mind reading detection power but it is not. Apostles can be fooled. Joseph Smith was fooled by Bennett. The apostles were fooled by a guy who was going to murder people (Hoffman) at least to the point of buying his forgeries. I have been conned. I am betting we all have to some extent or another. A Stake President should not be held to a higher standard. As to how obvious it was the Stake President knew.....I am not convinced. Dehlin would have a hard time substantiating these reports and he again loses credibility with me by pointing out that the bishop was released after 4 years instead of 5 as if that is proof the Stake President acted on credible information. A bishop being released after four years is not uncommon at all and is not evidence the Stake President KNEW something.

3 hours ago, MorningStar said:

We have the opportunity to oppose for a reason when people are called. If you know someone behaves like this man, raise your hand and oppose. Or better - report it a long time before he's called to anything! 

This is the kind of thing I would raise my hand to oppose about if I knew about it.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

You want me to explain why a man I have never met or heard of before yesterday made a decision about another man I have never met or heard of until yesterday in circumstances of which I know nothing. I should also take into account that a bunch of anonymous stories about him were somehow surely know comprehensively by the man making the decision. Okay,  I am going to say a magical pink unicorn told him to while he was tripping on LSD while skydiving with his pet tortoise whose name is Timmy. That help?

He loses credibility with me when he says things like the High Council is a position of “broader influence” and “I have communicated with at least one ward member”. A member of the High Council is much less influential then a bishop.

I am also not defending this guy. Sounds like a perv who should be locked up. I know you want the Priesthood to be a magical faerie dust mind reading detection power but it is not. Apostles can be fooled. Joseph Smith was fooled by Bennett. The apostles were fooled by a guy who was going to murder people (Hoffman) at least to the point of buying his forgeries. I have been conned. I am betting we all have to some extent or another. A Stake President should not be held to a higher standard. As to how obvious it was the Stake President knew.....I am not convinced. Dehlin would have a hard time substantiating these reports and he again loses credibility with me by pointing out that the bishop was released after 4 years instead of 5 as if that is proof the Stake President acted on credible information. A bishop being released after four years is not uncommon at all and is not evidence the Stake President KNEW something.

This is the kind of thing I would raise my hand to oppose about if I knew about it.

Alot can happen in 5 months:

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Duncan said:

and then there's this on John Dehlin

Yep. Mr Dehlin seems to revel in gossip ... until he's the subject of it. Then he gets a bit cranky. And controlling.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

At the risk of sounding like I once lived in Duncan's stake, the sole time I raised my hand in opposition to a calling, it went ahead. Later the man was arrested for tax evasion and then -- I swear I'm not making this up! -- died of a heart attack in the courtroom on the morning of his trial. That's definitely one way of avoiding justice ...

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 1

Just now, Hamba Tuhan said:

At the risk of sounding like I once lived in Duncan's stake, the sole time I raised my hand in opposition to a calling, it went ahead. Later the man was arrested for tax evasion and then -- I swear I'm not making this up! -- died of a heart attack in the courtroom on the morning of his trial. That's definitely one way of avoiding justice ...

😮😮😮😮

15 minutes ago, Duncan said:

and then there's this on John Dehlin

https://dearjohndehlin.wordpress.com/

7 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Yep. Mr Dehlin seems to revel in gossip ... until he's the subject of it. Then he gets a bit cranky.

Wow, this is very disappointing to learn. I don't think he's all that anyway. But maybe the witnesses were telling the truth regarding Murdock still, but then again, who knows? 

20 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

:lol:

Those responding to Tacenda's very long post - unless you are responding to specific points in it will you please consider shortening it some way in the quote? There's a whole lot of scrolling going on to get to the reply portion of what you are quoting and it is easily missed. 

• Like 3

Just now, Rain said:

Those responding to Tacenda's very long post - unless you are responding to specific points in it will you please consider shortening it some way in the quote? There's a whole lot of scrolling going on to get to the reply portion of what you are quoting and it is easily missed. 

Yes to this! Sorry for the long post as well.