Sign in to follow this  
rpn

Who has keys?

""Good morning brothers and sisters, I just have one important message to share with you this morning before we begin our meetings. When God handed out the keys of judgement, he did so extremely sparingly. I have one, the stake president has one, the prophet and apostles have them. But no one else in this congregation this morning has one. It is our job as ward members to love, support, and edify one another." unknown bishop"  poster in another site.

My take is:

Apostles have all the keys (so they can pass them on) but do they have the right to exercise keys of judgment?

Stake Presidents obviously must have disciplinary council key of judgment for priesthood holders, but are they within those considered "confesssional"  (I'm thinking that only bishops are in that position and the bishop is the one who hands off priesthood holders for the council.)

But bishops are the only ones with the right to judge as shepherd and hear confessions on behalf of the Lord.

And if you would post the scriptures or handbook info that supports whatever your response is, that would be helpful.

(And kudos to the bishop who specifically told his congregation this:  members need to remind themselves of this regularly.)

• Like 1

Priesthood keys are exclusively held by presidents of Priesthood quorums and some of the General Authorities who are not Presidents. The average ward has four people with keys: Bishop, Elder’s Quorum President, Teacher’s Quorum President, Deacon’s Quorum President.

In terms of church disciplinary matters the keys are held by the Bishop for everyone in his ward (with the exception that he does not have the authority to excommunicate a Melchizedek Priesthood holder) but he must inform the Stake President. A Branch President follows the same procedure. The Stake President holds the keys for everyone in that Stake. A Mission President holds the keys for everyone in his Mission (and possibly District) and can delegate others to hold councils in some cases. A District President can hold a council if authorized by the Mission President.

The First Presidency holds all the keys of this work and can change rules and override any and all decisions. The Quorum of the Twelve is not involved in this work unless a disciplinary Council is called by the First Presidency and they are (in whole or in part) called to serve in a capacity analogous to a Stake High Council in that Council.

Note above that when I said local leaders have authority in this matter over those in their ward that General Authorities are not subject to local church discipline unless authorized by the First Presidency.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 2

Apparently anyone that has the fullness of the priesthood possesses keys

The spirit, power, and calling of Elijah is, that ye have power to hold the key of the revelation, ordinances, oracles, powers and endowments of the fullness of the Melchizedek Priesthood and of the kingdom of God on the earth; and to receive, obtain, and perform all the ordinances belonging to the kingdom of God, even unto the turning of the hearts of the fathers unto the children, and the hearts of the children unto the fathers, even those who are in heaven.” -Joseph Smith

Make of that quote what you will, but the fullness of the powers of the priesthood include recieving keys. However, I would bet that while you might be able to lay hold on these keys in this life..there probably only a select few that can exercise them openly.

30 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Priesthood keys are exclusively held by presidents of Priesthood quorums and some of the General Authorities who are not Presidents. You average ward has four people with keys: Bishop, Elder’s Quorum President, Teacher’s Quorum President, Deacon’s Quorum President.

In terms of church disciplinary matters the keys are held by the Bishop for everyone in his ward (with the exception that he does not have the authority to excommunicate a Melchizedek Priesthood holder) but he must inform the Stake President. A Branch President follows the same procedure. The Stake President holds the keys for everyone in that Stake. A Mission President holds the keys for everyone in his Mission (and possibly District) and can delegate others to hold councils in some cases. A District President can hold a council if authorized by the Mission President.

The First Presidency holds all the keys of this work and can change rules and override any and all decisions. The Quorum of the Twelve is not involved in this work unless a disciplinary Council is called by the First Presidency and they are (in whole or in part) called to serve in a capacity analogous to a Stake High Council in that Council.

Note above that when I said local leaders have authority in this matter over those in their ward that General Authorities are not subject to local church discipline unless authorized by the First Presidency.

I could be way off here but, my understanding of D&C section 84:19 and 26 states that all holders of the Priesthood have some keys.
19 And this greater apriesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the bkey of the cmysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the dknowledge of God.
26 And the lesser apriesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the bkey of the cministering of angels and the dpreparatory gospel;

Are these keys different from the ones discussed?

5 minutes ago, Nacho2dope said:

I could be way off here but, my understanding of D&C section 84:19 and 26 states that all holders of the Priesthood have some keys.
19 And this greater apriesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the bkey of the cmysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the dknowledge of God.
26 And the lesser apriesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the bkey of the cministering of angels and the dpreparatory gospel;

I believe so. Those are a reference to the power that Priesthood gives to its holders and those who enter the Priesthood Order via temple ordinances. The other keys are the keys of Presidency. Some powers of the Priesthood are general to all who hold them. For example, access to the power of godliness is only available through the higher Priesthood but is available to all in the Priesthood Order.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I believe so. Those are a reference to the power that Priesthood gives to its holders and those who enter the Priesthood Order via temple ordinances. The other keys are the keys of Presidency. Some powers of the Priesthood are general to all who hold them. For example, access to the power of godliness is only available through the higher Priesthood but is available to all in the Priesthood Order.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, rpn said:

""Good morning brothers and sisters, I just have one important message to share with you this morning before we begin our meetings. When God handed out the keys of judgement, he did so extremely sparingly. I have one, the stake president has one, the prophet and apostles have them. But no one else in this congregation this morning has one. It is our job as ward members to love, support, and edify one another." unknown bishop"  poster in another site.

My take is:

Apostles have all the keys (so they can pass them on) but do they have the right to exercise keys of judgment?

As to matters within their stewardship?  Yes.

Is the disposition of an individual's soul to a given kingdom of glory within any mortal person's stewardship?  Nope.  

1 hour ago, rpn said:

Stake Presidents obviously must have disciplinary council key of judgment for priesthood holders, but are they within those considered "confesssional"  (I'm thinking that only bishops are in that position and the bishop is the one who hands off priesthood holders for the council.)

Holders of the Melchizedek Priesthood are technically in a stake-level quorum, and hence usually fall within the jurisdiction of the stake president for purposes of formal discipline.

1 hour ago, rpn said:

But bishops are the only ones with the right to judge as shepherd and hear confessions on behalf of the Lord.

I don't think that's correct.  See here:

Members of the stake presidency hold the office of high priest, and they serve as the presidency of the high priest quorum and supervise all Melchizedek Priesthood quorums. This means they hold the proper priesthood authority to act as the Lord's agent in behalf of the members (see Keys of the Priesthood).

The stake president also presides over certain council meetings in which the spiritual Welfare of Church members is the focus, such as meetings to address the needs of the poor or to prepare for emergencies, or councils that conduct disciplinary procedures for Church members who have transgressed fundamental standards of the gospel.

And here:

With reference to Church disciplinary councils, Elder Kimball wrote: “The bishop in his ordination to that office is made a ‘judge in Israel’ to those of his own ward, but to none who are not so placed under his jurisdiction. The stake president, by his setting apart, is made a judge over the people of the stake over which he is to preside. Likewise, a branch president and mission president have somewhat similar responsibilities. The General Authorities, of course, have general jurisdiction, and have the duty to make judgments in certain instances.” (Miracle of Forgiveness, pp. 267–68.)

What types of disciplinary councils are there in the Church? Can their decisions be appealed? The ward disciplinary council, presided over by the bishop, handles most Church discipline (see D&C 107:68–72). Cases in which a Melchizedek Priesthood holder is likely to be excommunicated are handled by stake disciplinary councils, presided over by the stake president and including the high council (see D&C 102:1–23). Mission presidents oversee Church discipline for missionaries as well as for members living in mission branches and districts. Branch presidents may be authorized by stake or mission presidents to conduct disciplinary councils. A person may appeal a decision of a ward or branch disciplinary council to the stake or mission president. The decision of a stake disciplinary council or mission president may be appealed to the First Presidency (see D&C 102:27; see also D&C 68:22–24; 107:78–81).

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, rpn said:

And if you would post the scriptures or handbook info that supports whatever your response is, that would be helpful.

(And kudos to the bishop who specifically told his congregation this:  members need to remind themselves of this regularly.)

Yes.

I wonder how this interplays with the following:

JST Matt. 7:1–2 Now these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people. Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged; but judge righteous judgment. Alma 41:14 (14–15); 3 Ne. 14:1 (1–27); D&C 11:12.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nacho2dope said:

It doesn't mention "judgement"

Can any priesthood member excommunicate another? No.

Why not?

Chaos. 

You borrowed my lawnmower too long, you are excommunicated. 

36 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Why not?

Chaos. 

I agree, I was trying to figure out how these scriptures fit into the discussion on keys. It is unfortunate there are several people I would like to excommunicate. 

• Like 2

Matt 16:17-19  Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will bed bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

BofA fac. 2:2 holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets

fac 2:3 representing, also, the grand Key words of the Holy Priesthoodas revealed to Adam in the Garden of Eden, as also to Seth, Noah, Melchisedek, Abraham and all to whom the Priesthood was revealed.

fac 2:5 the grand Key, or in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars,.....

fac 2:7 revealing, through the heavens, the grand Key words of the Priesthood;

8 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Why not?

Chaos. 

dzy85.jpg