Sign in to follow this  
smac97

It's Official: Vaping is a No-Go for Latter-day Saints

32 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

But the same beverages that were most always drunk hot at the time the revelation was given, a point made by Brigham Young in the discourse I cited earlier. 

Furthermore, we in the Church of Jesus Christ are not bibliolaters or holders to any sort of sola scriptura dogma. That is, we don’t worship books or other written records. We believe that living prophets are subject to ongoing revelation that might from time to time alter or adapt instruction that was given in the past. I’m not embarrassed by that belief. On the contrary, I celebrate it. 

That does not mean that Sec89 has been succeeded by any other policy. Well, so much for the "yesterday, today and forever" lip service. You're very inconsistent and that is odd. I don't know whether you're coming or going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valentinus said:

That does not mean that Sec89 has been succeeded by any other policy. Well, so much for the "yesterday, today and forever" lip service. You're very inconsistent and that is odd. I don't know whether you're coming or going. 

I couldn’t disagree more strongly with your accusation that I’m inconsistent. I’m very consistent in my belief that God can and does give revelation through living prophets to guide His Church. 

There is much by way of detail in ancient scripture that no longer applies to the covenant people of God today. We don’t perform animal sacrifices. We don’t perform circumcision as a sacred ritual. We don’t practice plurality of wives. We don’t keep kosher laws. There are elements in Paul’s epistles that pertained to the culture of his day but that don’t apply to us today. 

We still embrace the broader, more timeless doctrines and principles of the gospel as taught in the scriptures. But we rely on authorized servants of God to teach us His will regarding how these are to be applied today, now, up to this moment. 

If you believe I’m inconsistent, there is much that you don’t grasp about my belief. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 8/29/2019 at 9:23 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

I couldn’t disagree more strongly with your accusation that I’m inconsistent. I’m very consistent in my belief that God can and does give revelation through living prophets to guide His Church. 

There is much by way of detail in ancient scripture that no longer applies to the covenant people of God today. We don’t perform animal sacrifices. We don’t perform circumcision as a sacred ritual. We don’t practice plurality of wives. We don’t keep kosher laws. There are elements in Paul’s epistles that pertained to the culture of his day but that don’t apply to us today. 

We still embrace the broader, more timeless doctrines and principles of the gospel as taught in the scriptures. But we rely on authorized servants of God to teach us His will regarding how these are to be applied today, now, up to this moment. 

If you believe I’m inconsistent, there is much that you don’t grasp about my belief. 

So it's kinda like cherry picking from any possible "could be but not alluded to or specifically stated" violation of the WoW that you can't be one hundred percent sure about and can easily fall back on plausible deniability. Trying to grasp at what is considered actual revelation by the president of the church is similar trying to figure out if Benny Hinn can be taken seriously.

Of course Christ fulfilled and then intensified the Law. Certain practices were no longer relevant as He was destined to suffer on the Cross and then rise again because a checklist of holiness became obsolete.

The apostolic authority has never left the earth. Scripture, Tradition and Magisterium are the vessels by which the Gospel of Christ has been transmitted and maintained and protected by the Bishops and Fathers from the first century to today. Matthew 16:17-19 declared that hell will not prevail against Peter (the rock) and the church because apostasy is a symptom of hell. Therefore, no apostasy can plunge the the movement of Christ into darkness because Jesus would not entertain such evil ridiculousness. Claiming such apostasy is a rejection of the One who came to redeem and His ability to put into place a safe guard. The church described in Acts 2 has been sustained and protected by the Orthodox and the Catholics and the Ancient Faith continues undisturbed by apostasia.

It would also do you well to learn the difference between Sola Scriptura and the heretical Solo Scriptura espoused by those of the Reformed movement.

Edited by Valentinus

14 hours ago, Calm said:

Thanks for posting this.  I found it fascinating to read how Jews have managed to figure out a way to walk more steps on the sabbath.  

The Jews definitely have stricter food rules than members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  But given the WoW and how much it has expanded to include countless items of what is not allowed, certainly the concept is very similar.  What started out as a guideline for smart health has turned into a litany of items that have been added since the original words of wisdom.  

I am willing to admit that the Jews have more rules and regulations than members of the Church.  But certainly the principle of having a whole laundry list of do's and don't is present in both religions.   Not dating until you reach the age of 16.  Not watching R rated movies.  The type of music you listen to.  Whether you can have a tattoo or not.  How many piercings, Whether your shoulders show.  How long your shorts and dresses can be.  No gambling or playing the lottery.  No ponography.  No same sex dating.  No same sex marriage.  10% tithing.  Serve a mission.  Fast once a month.  Discourages inter racial marriages. What activities are appropriate for Sunday.  Have a year's supply.  What your neckline looks like. And then there are all the rules that Church colleges impose such as no beards.  No long hair.  Spy on your fellow students and report them if you see any violation.  

If you look at the link you sent on Mitzvoth, most of those commandments listed apply to both religions.  It is still safe to say IMO that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints still has a slew of rules and regulations that they expect the member to follow.  The Church's view of God is certainly one of a helicopter father.  It would be really hard to not agree with that.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:52 PM, Calm said:

It appears that vitamin E is the culprit found with the THC. 

While the FDA does not have enough data presently to conclude that Vitamin E acetate is the cause of the lung injury in these cases, the agency believes it is prudent to avoid inhaling this substance. Because consumers cannot be sure whether any THC vaping products may contain Vitamin E acetate, consumers are urged to avoid buying vaping products on the street, and to refrain from using THC oil or modifying/adding any substances to products purchased in stores. Additionally, no youth should be using any vaping product, regardless of the substance.

5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It appears that vitamin E is the culprit found with the THC. 

While the FDA does not have enough data presently to conclude that Vitamin E acetate is the cause of the lung injury in these cases, the agency believes it is prudent to avoid inhaling this substance. Because consumers cannot be sure whether any THC vaping products may contain Vitamin E acetate, consumers are urged to avoid buying vaping products on the street, and to refrain from using THC oil or modifying/adding any substances to products purchased in stores. Additionally, no youth should be using any vaping product, regardless of the substance.

I thought that was rather amusing....except for people getting sick.  Not what you would expect.

I heard today on public radio that the governor of Oregon has made a statement advising that everybody stop vaping immediately, after 2 deaths have been tied to it, somehow.  And the governor of Washington state is expected to make a similar statement today.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-governor-kate-brown-second-vaping-death/

Hmm, I wonder why the Church has never announced anything bad related to vaping?  Seems like the Lord should know before anyone else.