Seriously No Politics ×

Dedicating Graves of Non-members

I have "dedicated" graves for non-members but one might have called it more of a prayer, because I did not invoke the priesthood; especially when the deceased or their family are not friendly to the Church, but were nice enough to ask me to do it. 

13 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Ok, good answer.

Maybe that's it.

And so it requires priesthood permission up line.

I could buy that.

But then how is that different than anointing the sick? That does not require permission.

I don't think it is different; the permission has been granted already, proactively by general pronouncement (D&C and Handbooks).

18 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

They are Priesthood ordinances, but they do not require approval of the priesthood leader with jurisdiction over the area (i.e., a Bishop) because they are not recorded, saving ordinances.

I don't see how this is any different than grave dedication. 

3 hours ago, CV75 said:

I don't think it is different; the permission has been granted already, proactively by general pronouncement (D&C and Handbooks).

Just a point here.

These sources give permission to dedicate any grave for nonmembers?

Why the discussion then?

Edited by mfbukowski
44 minutes ago, jpv said:

I don't see how this is any different than grave dedication. 

I don't believe I said it was.  Apologies for any confusion.

23 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Just a point here.

These sources give permission to dedicate any grave for nonmembers?

Why the discussion then?

The grave dedicating requires permission, but only if one knows the rule or wonders whether they should obtain it... Otherwise, no harm, no foul until they know better.

The proactive permission I mentioned is for blessing the sick, dedicating homes, etc. as listed in the handbooks. If the question is, "Why is dedicating graves not listed along with these," I can only speculate; but it seems people can can a little (more) weird over things relating to death and the dead than to the sick and the living.

Edited by CV75
1 hour ago, CV75 said:

The grave dedicating requires permission, but only if one knows the rule or wonders whether they should obtain it... Otherwise, no harm, no foul until they know better.

The proactive permission I mentioned is for blessing the sick, dedicating homes, etc. as listed in the handbooks. If the question is, "Why is dedicating graves not listed along with these," I can only speculate; but it seems people can can a little (more) weird over things relating to death and the dead than to the sick and the living.

If I could speculate if I was a bishop and a rather “yahoo” member of my ward wanted to dedicate his home I would be fine with it.

If he wanted to dedicate a grave I would be a little more hesitant. Is this guy going to start announcing the eternal destiny of the dead person without authority or inspiration? Is he going to publicly embarrass the church somehow? Most of the ordinances that require permission are either an ordinance of salvation or something that is done publicly. I am guessing that is not a coincidence but I could be wrong.

A few years ago, we had a combined EQ/HP lesson going over the Priesthood Ordinances.  When we got to "Dedicating Graves", the instructor asked why we dedicate graves.

After a few others gave their input, I raised my hand and said "Also, if you want to give 'raising the dead' a shot, this is going to be your last chance."

The reaction was equal parts chuckles, eye rolling and steely glares.  😂

12 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

If I could speculate if I was a bishop and a rather “yahoo” member of my ward wanted to dedicate his home I would be fine with it.

If he wanted to dedicate a grave I would be a little more hesitant. Is this guy going to start announcing the eternal destiny of the dead person without authority or inspiration? Is he going to publicly embarrass the church somehow? Most of the ordinances that require permission are either an ordinance of salvation or something that is done publicly. I am guessing that is not a coincidence but I could be wrong.

I want that guy for my annual Halloween Haunted Hayride

7 hours ago, Amulek said:

You probably didn't read through the thread (not that I blame you), but in this particular situation the deceased wasn't a member but all of the surviving relatives are members of the church, and they would like to have the ordinance performed. 

That's my general feeling as well. 

👍