Sign in to follow this  
JLHPROF

Health requirements to serve a mission

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Already in place, from what I hear.

Someone I worked with who had been a missionary not long before she hired on with us said the missionaries hated backing out of a parking stall, because the requirement was that one of them get out of the car and direct the other one. They always looked for a "pull-through" space so they wouldn't have to back up.

I am hoping that is phased out with back up cameras. It was so annoying to do.

6 hours ago, Amulek said:

We have a young man in our ward who ran into the same issue. He was a former athlete but had gotten significantly out of shape and was not able to satisfy the weight criteria - though he was worthy in every other respect.

When I was a young man, we had a missionary serving in our area who was...I believe the technical term is: humongous. It caused all sorts of issues - practical and otherwise.

He couldn't ride a bike because most bike frames couldn't support his weight. Bed frames didn't stand a chance either - we had to put his mattresses directly on the floor, and we ended up having to get an additional foam mattress because the springs wouldn't hold up. None of this was really great for his self-esteem, and it wasn't great for his companions either. Even though most of them were pretty good-natured about it, it was clear that they really looked forward to things like being to go out on splits and be more effective with their time. 

Yeah, I remember a similar case when I was young. The guy was always sick or too exhausted to work. No one wanted to go on splits or set up appointments because there was about a 50/50 chance of a cancellation but he was always “feeling better” if a meal appointment was on the calendar. Probably an eating disorder of some kind. His companion was probably going out of his mind with boredom.

My MTC companion was 6’5” and big all around but that guy could run and move. When he first walked into the room my first thought is that he was going to eat me. Great guy though. He was called “God’s Goliath” in the yearbook.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 1

My son is 18 and several years ago was diagnosed with high-functioning autism.

I have worried about him going on a mission for many years now, because of how extremely rule-oriented and strenuous missions can be, and because my son is obedient to a fault. I can easily see him over-taxing or endangering himself in order to be obedient. 

So, I was quite relieved when my son's bishop told me that, because of his Aspergers, he is ineligible. FTR, he hasn't said anything about serving for a couple years now, but I don't know of any reason for the reticence.

Hopefully, if he does desire to serve a mission at some point, he can enjoy doing so being called locally to serve.

5 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

My son is 18 and several years ago was diagnosed with high-functioning autism.

I have worried about him going on a mission for many years now, because of how extremely rule-oriented and strenuous missions can be, and because my son is obedient to a fault. I can easily see him over-taxing or endangering himself in order to be obedient. 

So, I was quite relieved when my son's bishop told me that, because of his Aspergers, he is ineligible. FTR, he hasn't said anything about serving for a couple years now, but I don't know of any reason for the reticence.

Hopefully, if he does desire to serve a mission at some point, he can enjoy doing so being called locally to serve.

I have a brother who was in a similar situation. High functioning autism. He got a call but went home honorably due to the disorder before finishing the MTC. It hurt him a lot to have to come home. I wish the service mission option had been available back then in the early 00’s. He makes up for it now. He works two temple shifts a week and goes a third night as a patron and is one of the most exacting and thorough genealogists in the history of ever.

My ADHD hampered me on my mission (as it did in everything my whole life) and I wish I had been medicated then. Would have made things a lot easier and I think I could have gotten a lot more done. Oh well. Water under the bridge I guess.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 4

Meadowchik,

If your son desires to serve, I hope ways to accommodate whatever challenges he faces can be found.

By the way, long time no see.  Good to Cyber see you.

Best wishes,

Ken