Sign in to follow this  
smac97

Finding Wisdom in the Darndest Places...

1 hour ago, USU78 said:

Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill.

A friend told me there was clearly something wrong with me because this was my favorite song from that movie:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

Often times my clients. Here and there as cautionary tales, but also those who shine and become living examples of truth or goodness. I remember one lady after struggling through some traumas and coming to a better peace about them stated that she guessed she needed the pains to know the good and basically quoted a verse in 2 Nephi. Knowing that she was LDS I mentioned it, assuming she’d read it and was connecting it to her life. She hadn’t, but her life experience became its own testament of it. 

Beyond that, random books. A different client recommended i read this book called “how to be sick” which takes buddhist principles and applies it to chronic illness. I’m not chronically ill, but I ended up enjoying the audible read of it. One thing i’ve used currently when i’m getting overwhelmed in a moment is to take an observer approach and  just name what’s actually happening. So instead of, say, getting flustered about a child who won’t be soothed. I say to myself “woman tending a crying child”...it strangely works in calming me. I also like the activity of 5 minutes of doing absolutely nothing. I try that particularly while breastfeeding to turn off the ever present distractions towards the present moment. 

Call the midwife also has sweet messages. 

And when in doubt, google. 😋

With luv, 

BD

This is something that I really took hold of in CERT (community emergency response training). They told us in an emergency you may see a lot of things you don't want to see. That it has been found that people heal and deal with things better if they will do it saying/thinking "there is a body with a leg missing". 

I've often hoped it didn't stick so strongly because it was preparation for something I would actually deal with.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 11:05 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

That was a great sketch!

I'm old enough to remember very clearly the "Paul is dead" hysteria. I was in junior high school at the time, and the creepiness of it scared me so badly, I had to sleep with the light on.

Ah , you're just a kid.... ;)

2 hours ago, Rain said:

This is something that I really took hold of in CERT (community emergency response training). They told us in an emergency you may see a lot of things you don't want to see. That it has been found that people heal and deal with things better if they will do it saying/thinking "there is a body with a leg missing". 

I've often hoped it didn't stick so strongly because it was preparation for something I would actually deal with.

Thanks for this because it perfectly illustrates the difference between the scientific point of view and the subjective human point of view. They are not the same. One must divorce oneself from an involved personal human point of view to see it scientifically.

And that is precisely the difference between going by the spirit which is always involved in the personal and includes your own subjective feelings, and the way one sees things from a scientific point of view

To see scientifically one must remove oneself from personal involvement.

Seeing things from religious point of view is precisely intentionally involving oneself in the direct experience including all feelings.

Can you imagine Joseph Smith at the beginning of the First Vision saying to himself "person experiencing a vision."?

I doubt that it would have gone the same way. ;)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, USU78 said:

Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill.

I hear a lot lately of people hoping that the "universe" will favor their projects, or that by affirming some outcome over and over "the universe" will allow it to happen for them.

Sounds an awful lot like faith and prayer to me.

They just need to know that the name of the one who runs "the universe" is "Father."

IF you just believe.

Beautiful and haunting melody

Edited by mfbukowski

Smac97,

I liked the snippet of dialogue you used in your sig line between Spock and Valeris (going from memory here, so if I get anything wrong ... Of course you're already familiar with it, but for the benefit of any who might not've seen it or might not be familiar with it) ... :

Spock: "We must have faith."

Valeris: "Faith?"

Spock: "That the universe is unfolding as it should."

Valeris: "But that is not logical.  Surely we must—"

Spock:  "Logic, logic!  Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris.  Not the end."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

I hear a lot lately of people hoping that the "universe" will favor their projects, or that by affirming some outcome over and over "the universe" will allow it to happen for them.

Sounds an awful lot like faith and prayer to me.

They just need to know that the name of the one who runs "the universe" is "Father."

IF you just believe.

Beautiful and haunting melody

I like to imagine nobody on the Israelite side spiking the ball after they got what they'd hoped for.  This song sure captures that.  That Exodus tells of the Egyptians following with revenge on their minds and in their hearts makes you think maybe this song pretties things up a little much.

3 hours ago, USU78 said:

I like to imagine nobody on the Israelite side spiking the ball after they got what they'd hoped for.  This song sure captures that.  That Exodus tells of the Egyptians following with revenge on their minds and in their hearts makes you think maybe this song pretties things up a little much.

Agree.

That's why I praised the "melody" and not the "song". ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, USU78 said:

Well, that is as far as I got in the Bible so I assume everyone lived happily ever after they got out of Egypt.

• Like 1