Sign in to follow this  
Nofear

The Good Place

I love the point base. Like if grace/Christ wasn’t actual truth then this is what I would envision heaven being more like.

Plus I think it’s interesting that you can’t earn more points if you’re doing it to earn points, it truly has to be out of the goodness of your soul.

35 minutes ago, Nofear said:

...what are some mass media examples that you believe rose a bit above the morass of moral mediocrity?

Star Trek and their prime directive.  Let's just go watch and see how they are and if they're not ready for us yet then let's just leave them alone until maybe someday they are.

I know, it's an oldie, but still a goodie to me!  I'm looking forward to seeing the Picard series that is coming out soon.

I found the post-scarcity economics of Star Trek very interesting. Didn't need money for things but people worked productively. Probably the closest situation I've see to an approximate epresentation how the law of consecration might manifest.

47 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Happy Days... Hayyyy!

Good shows there, I agree.  My memories of Early Edition reminds me of Quantum Leap, too.  Pretty good show.  Probably what made Scott Bakula popular enough to later become a captain of the starship Enterprise, too.

• Like 1

We love the Good Place at this house.  Also try CBS's God Friended Me.

Mods: Probably should move to the social hall.

Love the Good Place. The only show I have seen lately that does brilliant visual comedy but doesn’t drown in it. I had to pause twice in the trolley sequences because I was laughing too hard to focus. I also love Jason.

I also suspect it inspired a card game I want to play with some of my more morbid friends where you build two trolley tracks with innocent and guilty people on both and one person has to decide which group is more deserving of death. Sounds like a fun ethically macabre evening.

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Star Trek and their prime directive.  Let's just go watch and see how they are and if they're not ready for us yet then let's just leave them alone until maybe someday they are.

I always thought the Prime Directive was a copout. Oh, we have a law that we might possibly damage you in some way so to avoid any ethical considerations and keep ourselves morally unspotted we are going to stand by and watch you all die.

If God took the approach of not contacting us until we were developed and advanced enough we would all be doomed.

1 hour ago, Nofear said:

I found the post-scarcity economics of Star Trek very interesting. Didn't need money for things but people worked productively. Probably the closest situation I've see to an approximate epresentation how the law of consecration might manifest.

One person pointed out to me that Star Trek makes a lot more sense if you assume Starfleet is made up of the misfits of a utopian society. I remember when I was young trying to figure out how the people in Star Trek were more morally “evolved”. Healthy family life? Not a chance. They all seem to have messed up relationships with their families. Education? Maybe, but the few times we see classrooms I am not impressed. Post scarcity just naturally removes negative drives? If that were the case the few people on earth now who materially want for nothing would all be happy and well-adjusted.

Don’t get me wrong. I like Star Trek society but the people in it should have ruined it a long time ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nofear said:

Mods: Probably should move to the social hall.

And my previous post proves my faith true. Now it is on topic and does not need to move.

Coco. The best large-scale gospel message I’ve seen in a film in a long time, and perhaps ever. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:45 PM, Ahab said:

I know, it's an oldie, but still a goodie to me!  I'm looking forward to seeing the Picard series that is coming out soon.

An SF trilogy I am rather fond of, and I won't get into the details because wow that would take awhile ("We are Legion (We are Bob)"), but the protagonist, a 20th/21st century human whose brain has been replicated in a computer as a Von Neumann probe (whose name is Bob) arrives at a planet around a distant star that is suitable for human occupation.  He discovers a species of sentient stone age bipedal beings who are near to being wiped out by a predatory species that is non-sentient. In order to assist himself in dealing with the problem, he clones himself (i.e. builds another spaceship cum computer) and his new clone (who has named himself Marvin) confronts him (somewhat humorously) with the Prime Directive.  Bob goes off at him angrily, saying "No, Marvin -- when someone asks us what we found out here, are they going to be happy with us allowing these people to go extinct because of a television show philosophy?"

The Prime Directive seems like a great idea unless following it results in more harm than violating it.  Maybe the Prime Directive should be modified with the first principle of the Hippocratic Oath: "First, do no harm."

Anyway, thanks for the straight line!

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:07 PM, Nofear said:

I confess, I've enjoyed NBC's The Good Place. It's not about theology so much as it is philosophy (which I have a love-hate mindset about). Curiously, as the writers delved more into the philosophy of it as the seasons continued, they came to a conclusion (link) about morals that has some remarkable similarities to how some in the Church view being good. That's not to say we should look to the show for instruction on morality or doctrine (just as, for example, I don't think we should look to Moanna for instruction about Heavenly Mother). It is still quite unsophisticated, has errors, and lacks any discussion of Grace. Rather, I assert that it is just a lot better than the vast majority of the little bit of contemporary media I've sampled. It's also funny. The trolley dilemma episode was funny (if gruesome).

Anyway, in idle curiosity, what are some mass media examples that you believe rose a bit above the morass of moral mediocrity? I suppose this would be a better topic in the social hall, but I'm quite content if there is disagreements (\cough Handmaid's Tale).

I wasn't watching American TV except for Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune for years and year.  I've never heard of this show.  And now I'm in the UK where US TV shows do exist, but not this one.

Maybe I need to see if I can figure out how to watch it.

3 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Shocked someone hasn't mentioned Firefly yet.  

Because the wound is still fresh over its cancellation.

aO6eW3j.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Maybe I need to see if I can figure out how to watch it.

Its on Netflix which I believe you do have in the UK and not just the Bumbling British Corporation  😉

You all are losers.... sheez... there just has been no show with good, clean, funny family morals since they cancelled Home Improvement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smith said:

Its on Netflix which I believe you do have in the UK and not just the Bumbling British Corporation  😉

How dare you dis the Queen's favorite media outlet!!!!

Yes, I found out I can get this on Netflix here, but I went ahead and ordered the first season on DVD.

Oh, and by the way, they ARE the Bumbling British Corporation.  Not to get political, but they are extremely biased, too.  Not like the US media outlets.  <snigger>

19 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Yes, I found out I can get this on Netflix here, but I went ahead and ordered the first season on DVD.

Oh, and by the way, they ARE the Bumbling British Corporation.  Not to get political, but they are extremely biased, too.  Not like the US media outlets.  <snigger>

I give the BBC a lot of credit for its overseas work. It provides good info to many people in disaster areas and conflict zones where local media is less free or less existent. That said, they also have some weird shows and some weird reporting. That said, they brought back Doctor Who so I give them props for that and even more for not taking the easy choice and resetting the franchise.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RevTestament said:

You all are losers.... sheez... there just has been no show with good, clean, funny family morals since they cancelled Home Improvement.

Ahem......Once Upon a Time would like to have a word with you in the dark alley out back.

16 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Ahem......Once Upon a Time would like to have a word with you in the dark alley out back.

Sure...as long as you're not over 5'2" and 110 lbs ;) 

p.s. I just realized what your evil looking avatar is... a sugar glider. What? you going to send it into battle for you?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Oh, you didn't say that.... now they are the Best Broadcast Company left in the free world.....like Nehor said.

Until the Arabs buy them too.

2 hours ago, RevTestament said:

Oh, you didn't say that.... now they are the Best Broadcast Company left in the free world.....like Nehor said.

Until the Arabs buy them too.

Creating Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who, and Blackadder covers a multitude of sins.

2 hours ago, RevTestament said:

Sure...as long as you're not over 5'2" and 110 lbs ;) 

p.s. I just realized what your evil looking avatar is... a sugar glider. What? you going to send it into battle for you?

I am losing weight on this new medication but have not lost any height yet. We will see if that changes.

That is Elric as a toddler. First glimpse I got of him in person. He is much bigger now and thinks he is Cassanova with the two girls.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:02 PM, The Nehor said:

Creating Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who, and Blackadder covers a multitude of sins.

They've completely run themselves out of all that old Karma, though.