Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MustardSeed

My Facebook journey

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have just accomplished a first- a whole month with no facebook.  This time it’s for real. 

Facebook helped me promote my businesses very successfully.  Unfortunately it became an addiction in addition to its usefulness.  

I tried to quit multiple times but always went back.  I did not participate in the prophets invitation to fast for a week.  I knew I would fail. 

What helped me quit was the most ignorant of comment sections.  The utter stupidity of things said got me thinking, perhaps all the dumb folk in the world have finally learned how to use Facebook.  That’s a horrible thing to say but now I’ve said it.  

Second, this occurred right before a three week vacation.  Vacation was packed with activity so I remained busy enough to avoid it.  

I’m now a month in and no plans to return.  It’s hurting my business a tad bit it’s worth the price.  I feel totally free.  

Now to shut down my last internet vice- but I’ll need something with which to replace it.  I don’t enjoy tv and I do need a mind numbing activity.  Maybe a good book. 

Edited by MustardSeed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

I have just accomplished a first- a whole month with no facebook.  This time it’s for real. 

Facebook helped me promote my businesses very successfully.  Unfortunately it became an addiction in addition to its usefulness.  

I tried to quit multiple times but always went back.  I did not participate in the prophets invitation to fast for a week.  I knew I would fail. 

What helped me quit was the most ignorant of comment sections.  The utter stupidity of things said got me thinking, perhaps all the dumb folk in the world have finally learned how to use Facebook.  That’s a horrible thing to say but now I’ve said it.  

Second, this occurred right before a three week vacation.  Vacation was packed with activity so I remained busy enough to avoid it.  

I’m now a month in and no plans to return.  It’s hurting my business a tad bit it’s worth the price.  I feel totally free.  

Now to shut down my last internet vice- but I’ll need something with which to replace it.  I don’t enjoy tv and I do need a mind numbing activity.  Maybe a good book. 

I wish I could be free of it. I keep it because I have a private family FB group, where I can post pics of vacations, or plan events etc. Plus I have sisters out of state that I get to see all of there goings on. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should quit. In fact quit a lot more than that even. Good for you Mustardseed. Do you mind expanding on your business venture, maybe I'd be interested. Or PM me if so. 

Lately I've been borrowing audiobooks from the public library, to get myself away from all things Mormonism podcasts. 

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I wish I could be free of it. I keep it because I have a private family FB group, where I can post pics of vacations, or plan events etc. Plus I have sisters out of state that I get to see all of there goings on. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should quit. In fact quit a lot more than that even. Good for you Mustardseed. Do you mind expanding on your business venture, maybe I'd be interested. Or PM me if so. 

Lately I've been borrowing audiobooks from the public library, to get myself away from all things Mormonism podcasts. 

Good plan! 

Instagram is a decent place to share photos.  

I used to panic at the FOMO but in reality, I’m fine.  I’ve always respected people who don’t use the internet for social stuff- I’m not there but I feel so great about this accomplishment, I had to share! 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I have just accomplished a first- a whole month with no facebook.  This time it’s for real. 

Facebook helped me promote my businesses very successfully.  Unfortunately it became an addiction in addition to its usefulness.  

I tried to quit multiple times but always went back.  I did not participate in the prophets invitation to fast for a week.  I knew I would fail. 

What helped me quit was the most ignorant of comment sections.  The utter stupidity of things said got me thinking, perhaps all the dumb folk in the world have finally learned how to use Facebook.  That’s a horrible thing to say but now I’ve said it.  

Second, this occurred right before a three week vacation.  Vacation was packed with activity so I remained busy enough to avoid it.  

I’m now a month in and no plans to return.  It’s hurting my business a tad bit it’s worth the price.  I feel totally free.  

Now to shut down my last internet vice- but I’ll need something with which to replace it.  I don’t enjoy tv and I do need a mind numbing activity.  Maybe a good book. 

I had a FB account for a long time before it became little more than an occasional vice.  I created one for my late wife even though she didn't do computers let alone FB, just so I could link her to me as my wife.  Until a few months after her death I was on FB about once per month.  It was a nice bit of closure to have FB put her account into "in Memoriam" so I could continue to post photos about her.  Didn't want the world to forget about her.

And then my new wife came along.  Facebook was actually important in our courtship -- it helped me see who she was by what she had posted over the years, and what others posted to her and about her.  I fell in love with her partly because of what I could see of her there -- our courtship was a long-distance one and we didn't actually meet until five days before getting married!  We fell in love via email -- kind of like the movie "You've Got Mail" except without the business competition and we knew who we were from the beginning.

But I really appreciate your "perhaps all the dumb folk in the world have finally learned how to use Facebook" sentiment.  At this point I have unfollowed pretty much all of those types with whom I am "friends" with, however.  

My participation in FB has really gone down lately.  It never got that obsessive, though.  I think I pop in there for a look about three times per week, and it's not dragging me down because I have stopped responding to the remaining idiocy that still comes across from time to time.

I probably will never give it up entirely, but I think I have put it into its proper place now.

I wish you well in your Facebook fast!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I keep contact with Tacenda and my sister's grandkids...that is the only purpose I have for it.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I keep contact with Tacenda and my sister's grandkids...that is the only purpose I have for it.

Awww, that is so cool, I think we need to meet up and go for a walk along the river in Logan one of these days, before winter! 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...