Seriously No Politics ×

catwalks in Temples?

23 hours ago, smac97 said:

Um, do you mean a "catwalk" like this?

Or like this?

If the former, then I can't imagine the temples having one.  However, I could envision the latter type.  The Provo Temple, for example, has projectors above the entrance door of each Endowment Room.  These days, the playing of the film is automated, but years ago perhaps it took someone to be up there to stop and start the film.  And since there are six endowment rooms, perhaps there is a "catwalk"-type of arrangement that allowed for temple workers to go from one projector to another.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,

-Smac

Yep.

LA is the largest temple in square footage "above ground" meaning that all of it is within the four walls visible from the exterior.  SLC is larger by a big margin, but that is because of annexes and additions connected by tunnels etc.

I am not aware of any "catwalks" per se but on the other hand unless you are on maintenance or security teams, or in temple presidencies, you would not know about the inner workings of where projection rooms etc are.

But this I do know- we have four main rooms between which attendees move in each endowment session, while the projection picks up the proper portion of the presentation for each room after the patrons arrive.   That's probably four times the possible problems found in small temples with a single endowment rooms.

I also know from personal experience that as an officiator if there is a problem with a presentation, the officiator presses a button on the altar and instantly someone from engineering is available to help  through two- way communication between the officiator and the engineer, and does so- all unseen and without entering the room.  Sometimes if it is a mechanical problem within the room, of course they have to enter, but can do so from behind a curtain or door you never noticed before ;) to fix the problem.

In observing the floor count plus a couple of mezzanines - there are clearly unmarked "floors" apparently between marked floors with space enough for tall "crawl spaces".  We also have some curved walls covered with murals, used during the presentation,  behind which there are storage places and study rooms and various nooks and crannies where there could be all kinds of storage space etc.  One projector is behind the screen, within a storage space you would not notice because it is covered by a curtain. The curtain is behind the officiator and a few times while officiating I have heard very quiet "movement sounds" coming from behind the curtain in that room.   I know the spirits are active, but I don't think quite that active.  ;)   They could probably schedule their rounds for times incompatible with working hours.  ;)   I am not sure if spirits get overtime pay.

The other projectors could only be accessed from above or within the walls.   In many places, when you really understand the layout, you realize that the external dimensions are much larger than what is visible as "rooms" to the patrons.

In one room there is a lighting effect with electric bulbs simulating stars in the ceiling, and those bulbs could not be changed by reaching up from underneath but clearly only from a position above the bulbs and ceiling.

So no, I don't know of any "catwalks" per se, but hidden walkways and storage areas and study space?  Lots of those!

Edited by mfbukowski
On 8/6/2019 at 2:49 PM, mfbukowski said:

So no, I don't know of any "catwalks" per se, but hidden walkways and storage areas and study space?  Lots of those!

Is that what they are calling the virgin sacrifice rooms these days?

On 8/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, smac97 said:

The Provo Temple, for example, has projectors above the entrance door of each Endowment Room.  These days, the playing of the film is automated, but years ago perhaps it took someone to be up there to stop and start the film.  And since there are six endowment rooms, perhaps there is a "catwalk"-type of arrangement that allowed for temple workers to go from one projector to another.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,

-Smac

Also thinking out loud.

If the catwalks were built during construction, it would make sense to leave them there for repairs and maintenance (if there is enough room).

10 hours ago, Ahab said:

Catwalk, aka scaffolding

I prefer my scaff unfolded.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, smac97 said:

Um, do you mean a "catwalk" like this?

Claudia_Bertolero_Miami_Fashion_Week.jpg

Or like this?

Everyman-Palace-Cork-Ireland_websize.jpg

If the former, then I can't imagine the temples having one.  However, I could envision the latter type.  The Provo Temple, for example, has projectors above the entrance door of each Endowment Room.  These days, the playing of the film is automated, but years ago perhaps it took someone to be up there to stop and start the film.  And since there are six endowment rooms, perhaps there is a "catwalk"-type of arrangement that allowed for temple workers to go from one projector to another.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,

-Smac

Except that his temple is still under construction. 

I thought along those same lines, though, and surmised that the temple engineer or someone else might need access to the projectors if they broke down. 

On 8/5/2019 at 10:56 PM, Duncan said:

Can you think of a reason why a Temple would have a catwalk? and before anyone asks, no cats are allowed in or fashion shows? I have a friend who is working on our Temple and they constructed a catwalk but doesn't know why? I have nothing!!!

Could it be to get across to the baptismal font?

On 8/8/2019 at 11:56 AM, pogi said:

Is that what they are calling the virgin sacrifice rooms these days?

On 8/9/2019 at 1:07 AM, SettingDogStar said:

They probably lead to that room where that young maiden jumped from the window into the salt lake! Remember? What a daring escape, must have used the catwalks to do it!

A family joined the Church in my ward a while back. A week after their baptism they came into my office and said they were angry and wanted out of the Church. I was saddened and asked what was the matter. They said some former members of the Church (turned out to be Ex-Mormons for Jesus) had come to their home after their baptism and told them Mormons participated in wild naked orgies in the temples. They were told that if they confronted me with this information that I would deny it, which I strenuously did. I even pointed out a few of the older ward members they knew who were temple workers and asked if they could imagine those folks doing anything so awful. They wouldn't be mollified and that was the last we saw of them. Maybe some of those secret rooms..................:shok:

Edited by Bernard Gui
On 8/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, Duncan said:

Can you think of a reason why a Temple would have a catwalk? and before anyone asks, no cats are allowed in or fashion shows? I have a friend who is working on our Temple and they constructed a catwalk but doesn't know why? I have nothing!!!

“Catwalks”, are used in construction all the time, usually to access the inaccessible above structural ceilings. Buildings such as Temples with their elaborate designs have them almost always to access lighting, HVAC equipment, and many other reasons. If you are speaking of one that is used in plain sight, could be anybody’s guess, unless overhead. Then probably for constant lighting changes, such as stage lighting. I have spent much of my life walking and using them for construction inspections for very beautiful architecture. If you ever enter a Celestial Room in the Temple, and in other places like larger Temples, the chandeliers located in the center of the room (sometimes more than one) have motorized wrenches to lower and raise them. Because of this there is probably catwalks above those ceilings.  

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Read a comment today about these 29 announced temples not even started. Is this true? I wonder how long it takes to get these started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_(Latter_Day_Saints)There are 164 dedicated temples (153 currently open; and 9 previously dedicated, but closed for renovation), 16 under construction, and 29 announced (not yet under construction)

It can take several years to get the permits from the locality. But of course the church needs to own the site before that even happens. There are traffic studies and environmental impact reports, soil samples etc etc

And each municipality has to sign off on all of these required documents. And then you have international considerations for building in Timbuktu.

It's pretty amazing they get anything built at all.

Edited by mfbukowski
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Read a comment today about these 29 announced temples not even started. Is this true? I wonder how long it takes to get these started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_(Latter_Day_Saints)There are 164 dedicated temples (153 currently open; and 9 previously dedicated, but closed for renovation), 16 under construction, and 29 announced (not yet under construction)

Those numbers of on the temples page of the church website so I assume they are correct.

Over the past 5 years, we've averaged 4 new temples opening per year.  You can click on each temple name and then at the bottom of its main page the milestones are shown.  So, you can see the time it takes from when it is announced, to groundbreaking, to dedication.  I've seen temples go from groundbreaking to dedication in a couple years but I think most take a little longer.  Time from announcement to groundbreaking can vary dramatically.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, Duncan said:

Is it the "bridge" structure that one walks on to get to the baptismal font?  That could look like a catwalk before the font is installed.