Sign in to follow this  
Maureen

Reaction Emoticon - a heart

This forum setup is almost identical to the ThirdHour forum (aka MormonHub, lds.net). I believe this forum has been setup this way for many years while ThirdHour is more recent (maybe only 2/3 years now). The only noticeable difference for me is the "React Emoticon" choice. This forum has one choice, a "heart" to provide positive feedback for a post. ThirdHour has multiple choices in Emoticons to provide specific reactions to posts. For example, a post might be funny or sad or confusing or you may want to say "thank you" in reacting to a post.

Is it possible for the smart people that built this forum, to be able to add additional emoticons, so that we have the ability to react in specific ways to posts?

M.

When they originally rolled out the update with the 'reaction' functionality, there were multiple options.

I believe the limitation to only 'like' posts is by design. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Amulek said:

When they originally rolled out the update with the 'reaction' functionality, there were multiple options.

Too bad.

M.

5 hours ago, Amulek said:

I miss the “This is a stupid comment” emoticon. :( 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I miss the “This is a stupid comment” emoticon. :( 

:fool: This one? The old emoticons are still here under the emojis.  I had some favorite standbys...

:beatdeadhorse::zombie::yahoo::nea:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I remember there being a lot of formatting glitches with the update that allowed for love and like rep points, though that may have been my old tech that was screwing things up. Iirc there wasn’t a dislike option.  I was under the impression it got removed in one of the fixes for that particular update.  I don’t remember it lasting very long.

I may be confusing it with another update though. There was one that took quite a bit of time to fix. Whether that was the same one or I am confused, don’t have a clue. 

The owner has to pay for anything extra if this board is anything like the one I was an admin on (ezboards, don’t think they exist anymore).  Posters have offered to help pay for things in the past, but iirc he said he preferred to take care of it himself....though that may be me just assuming that is his motivation.  I think it would be harder to discipline someone who contributed and someone might get offended if they dropped a chunk and then got banned or put on limited.  Enough feel that way when it is a free service. :)

Add on:  found a report glitch thread for Dec 2015. I figured the last big update was probably around the same time as the board guidelines was posted and I was right. Looks like the update took several days offline (we all went through withdrawals) and then some more to get some other stuff fixed.  The rep feature is mentioned a few times both as like this and heart, so I think my memory is accurate about it having been tried with a problematic upgrade. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2019 at 3:45 AM, JLHPROF said:

:fool: This one? The old emoticons are still here under the emojis.  I had some favorite standbys...

:beatdeadhorse::zombie::yahoo::nea:

The emoticon I think that is being discussed is the "React" button at the bottom right of each post.  At one time, for a short while, one had the choice of a simple heart, or a few others.  That went away and all we're left for "Reactions" is a Like/heart.

I've seen other fora that use Invision (the name of the board's software), and there are a number of "Reactions" available by default.  I think the board owner just wanted one Reaction.

Here's what the default "Reaction" emoticons look like:

image.png.8f903ca21410218e7c0dc84e98e30ee3.png

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

The emoticon I think that is being discussed is the "React" button at the bottom right of each post.  At one time, for a short while, one had the choice of a simple heart, or a few others.  That went away and all we're left for "Reactions" is a Like/heart.

I've seen other fora that use Invision (the name of the board's software), and there are a number of "Reactions" available by default.  I think the board owner just wanted one Reaction.

Here's what the default "Reaction" emoticons look like:

image.png.8f903ca21410218e7c0dc84e98e30ee3.png

Those choices are what ThirdHour has and two more, "Okay" and "Thumbs-up" (for Like).

It's a shame they caused glitches on this forum.

M.

3 hours ago, Maureen said:

Those choices are what ThirdHour has and two more, "Okay" and "Thumbs-up" (for Like).

Like I said, that is the default set for Invision.  I went to Invision's website and had them create a sample board for me (an automatic service).  It's possible to change the defaults.

3 hours ago, Maureen said:

It's a shame they caused glitches on this forum.

M.

Yeah, I rather liked giving a different reaction from "like".

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 4:37 AM, Calm said:

I remember there being a lot of formatting glitches with the update that allowed for love and like rep points, though that may have been my old tech that was screwing things up. Iirc there wasn’t a dislike option.  I was under the impression it got removed in one of the fixes for that particular update.  I don’t remember it lasting very long.

I may be confusing it with another update though. There was one that took quite a bit of time to fix. Whether that was the same one or I am confused, don’t have a clue. 

The owner has to pay for anything extra if this board is anything like the one I was an admin on (ezboards, don’t think they exist anymore).  Posters have offered to help pay for things in the past, but iirc he said he preferred to take care of it himself....though that may be me just assuming that is his motivation.  I think it would be harder to discipline someone who contributed and someone might get offended if they dropped a chunk and then got banned or put on limited.  Enough feel that way when it is a free service. :)

Add on:  found a report glitch thread for Dec 2015. I figured the last big update was probably around the same time as the board guidelines was posted and I was right. Looks like the update took several days offline (we all went through withdrawals) and then some more to get some other stuff fixed.  The rep feature is mentioned a few times both as like this and heart, so I think my memory is accurate about it having been tried with a problematic upgrade. 

I've often thought that I'd like to contribute financially towards the operation of MDDB, but realized that it was likely impractical for just the reason you indicate.