8 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

It's very common in the South in most Christian churches.  Even Catholics priests will go by "Father Jim" etc.

It's very odd being called "Bishop" for the rest of your life when others just use first names.  And then for example while teaching EQ sometimes calling on someone to give a comment I will use their first name, but I am always "Bishop" even though it's been 9 years since I was one.

I would prefer to be "one of the guys" quite frankly.  It is not like something we did to merit a calling which sets us apart- obedient LDS just take the callings to which they are called.

My best friends husband was my Bishop 10 years ago. Even then, he was John to me.  He was also my husbands surgeon.  Talk about respect- he was the best bishop ever.  He prefers John, always has.  Partly why he was so good. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

And technically, you do retain the priesthood office of bishop, latent though it may be. 

Yep. Like they say once a Bishop always a Bishop. The same as a patriarch, although one might not presently be called to act as such. Our old patriarch was put on emeritus status because of his age and health, but I suppose if he were asked to do it he could still give a patriarchal blessing if authorized to do so. Likewise if a former Bishop were called to preside over a ward again he would not need to be ordained again, but would only need to be set apart to preside over a ward. 
I would think that it is mostly out of tradition and respect that members continue to address a man as Bishop after he is released, especially if he was their Bishop and was privy to all the things they had confided in him about. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

How many have you asked?

Everyone of them I see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

For the record, I can’t stand being called Sister First Name. 

Sounds in my ear either nun-ish or cultish.  Just first name works. Or sister last name if must be. Not that it matters here. 

I don’t hear it so often with women in the Church. 

Although, I do recall from my growing-up years that a counselor in our bishopric absent-mindedly referred to the Primary President as “Brother Patty Ann.”  Stifled though it was, great hilarity ensued among us youth that stayed with us for years afterward. 

5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

For the record, I can’t stand being called Sister First Name. 

Sounds in my ear either nun-ish or cultish.  Just first name works. Or sister last name if must be. Not that it matters here. 

I like occasionally calling the RS President "President LastName" -- it never fails to get a chuckle or a puzzled look.  I mean it with all due respect, too.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I like occasionally calling the RS President "President LastName" -- it never fails to get a chuckle or a puzzled look.  I mean it with all due respect, too.

You are free to do as you like, of course. But for the record, it is non-standard in the Church to use the “President” title when addressing presidents of Church auxiliaries, be they male or female. 

Even on a general level, such presidents are addressed or referred to as “Brother” or “Sister.” 

A good illustration is Tad R. Callister. Upon being released as a General Authority Seventy (or rather, granted emeritus status) he was sustained as general Sunday School President. That meant that officially he immediately went from being addressed as Elder Callister to Brother Callister. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You are free to do as you like, of course. But for the record, it is non-standard in the Church to use the “President” title when addressing presidents of Church auxiliaries, be they male or female. 

Even on a general level, such presidents are addressed or referred to as “Brother” or “Sister.” 

A good illustration is Tad R. Callister. Upon being released as a General Authority Seventy (or rather, granted emeritus status) he was sustained as general Sunday School President. That meant that officially he immediately went from being addressed as Elder Callister to Brother Callister. 

Yeah, I have been calling ward auxiliary presidents president for some time and it has become habit. Picked it up from previous bishop who I am trying not to call bishop as it has almost been a year. Should probably stop on both and plan to try. Really hardest with the Relief Society President. She just seems presidential. ;) 

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2019 at 9:10 AM, The Nehor said:

Yeah, I have been calling ward auxiliary presidents president for some time and it has become habit. Picked it up from previous bishop who I am trying not to call bishop as it has almost been a year. Should probably stop on both and plan to try. Really hardest with the Relief Society President. She just seems presidential. ;) 

Get her elected, and you can do it with impunity. I don’t even know who she is, and I’m betting she outshines anyone in the entire field of Democratic candidates by magnitudes of intensity — with the possible exception of Tulsi Gabbard. The way Gabbard took down that pompous and self-righteous Kamala Harris the other night was sheer poetry. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

13 hours ago, poptart said:

😂 

I love it!

Long live the social stigma of coffee — what little there is of it and however culturally isolated it is. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Get her elected, and you can do it with impunity. I don’t even know who she is, and I’m betting she outshines anyone in the entire field of Democratic candidates by magnitudes of intensity — with the possible exception of Kelsi Gabbard. The way Gabbard took down that pompous and self-righteous Kamala Harris the other night was sheer poetry. 

source.gif

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, poptart said:

I found a companion to this video that might in fact be more relevant to Church members, particularly younger ones:

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Yummm...poop!

16 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I found a companion to this video that might in fact be more relevant to Church members, particularly younger ones:

Knew a Chem major who did research on those things, they're pure poison.  The taurine in a few redbulls is equal to what you'd get if you ate like 20 kilos of stake.  When you overload your system like that it can be cancerous, our bodies can only take so much of something before it freaks out.  Know you guys aren't cool with coffee but if you're going to go with something you're so much safer with that than this sludge.  Either way, whenever I see that stuff this comes to mind.

The church recently reiterated the WoW in the New Era and offered some clarifications for substances that didn't exist back in 1833

Mocha, Latte, Macchiato: While the phrase "hot drinks" in the Word of Wisdom was later defined as tea and coffee, many still have questions about specific drinks or flavors. The New Era provides this advice: "(1) If you’re in a coffee shop (or any other shop that’s well-known for its coffee), the drink you’re ordering probably has coffee in it, so either never buy drinks at coffee shops or always ask if there’s coffee in it. (2) Drinks with names that include café or caffé, mocha, latte, espresso, or anything ending in -ccino usually have coffee in them and are against the Word of Wisdom."

. http://www.ldsliving.com/In-New-Era-Church-Clarifies-Word-of-Wisdom-and-Stance-on-Green-Tea-Vaping-More/s/91375?fbclid=IwAR1vA7Ht5rnhvpebjrfagIu5YGcpcdc2R1DzkCFlAtSawTi_BmC_vgTMyNM

I find the advice that "if you buy  it in a shop known for coffee, it probably has coffee in it" to be kind of funny/simplistic/silly/incorrect.

Has anyone had a hot chocolate at Starbucks? It's pretty good, and no, it doesn't have coffee :) 

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

The church recently reiterated the WoW in the New Era and offered some clarifications for substances that didn't exist back in 1833

I find the advice that "if you buy  it in a shop known for coffee, it probably has coffee in it" to be kind of funny/simplistic/silly/incorrect.

Has anyone had a hot chocolate at Starbucks? It's pretty good, and no, it doesn't have coffee :) 

Lol.  I have no problem meeting a friend at Starbucks and enjoying a mint tea or a smoothie. 

Probably no coffee in my banana strawberry blend but then again I do tend to think for myself. 

• Like 1

Any any lds person who has never heard of a mocha or an espresso probably needs to figure a few things out before leaving the house. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Any any lds person who has never heard of a mocha or an espresso probably needs to figure a few things out before leaving the house. 

I remember being really shocked while doing a TR interview with an elderly woman. She had been a temple worker for many years so when she told me she kept the word of wisdom I had no reason to suspect otherwise. As we were talking she mentioned that she really loves those "coffee flavored" shakes from McDonalds. I asked her what shake she meant and she said it was one of those caramel frappacinos (or something like that). I asked her if she realized that it tasted like coffee because it had coffee in it but she didn't believe me. She thought it was like the coffee flavored ice cream at the store. It took some work but I finally convinced her that it was a coffee product and she committed to stop drinking them...but she was a bit sad about it :) 

Some of those drinks are so much ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce etc that it's probably only 2% coffee. I'm sure there's more than 2% alcohol in Nyquil but that's ok, I guess. Or who has ever drank Kombucha? .5% alcohol, but it's so miniscule that even a kid could go in and buy one.

All of that to say...it was probably a good thing that they clarified some of this because I'm sure there are many people who unwittingly partake of the delicious "coffee flavored" shakes and other goodies at the store. But then again, I guess we all have to ask ourselves whether or not we believe God really has a preference about whether we get a 2000 calorie shake or a 2000 calorie frappucino from McDonalds.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 7:44 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

Get her elected, and you can do it with impunity. I don’t even know who she is, and I’m betting she outshines anyone in the entire field of Democratic candidates by magnitudes of intensity — with the possible exception of Kelsi Gabbard. The way Gabbard took down that pompous and self-righteous Kamala Harris the other night was sheer poetry. 

That's Tulsi, not Kelsi, Scott.

Agree about the take-down, but everyone knows that Kamala Harris is supposed to be the Anointed One this time. Tulsi hasn't a chance.

20 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

That's Tulsi, not Kelsi, Scott.

Agree about the take-down, but everyone knows that Kamala Harris is supposed to be the Anointed One this time. Tulsi hasn't a chance.

Thanks for the correction.

I don't really want any of them from the Democratic lineup, but Gabbard is far less odious than the others.

But I understand Harris's star is fading fast (blessedly) and that Fauxcahontas is the closest one to Biden, the front runner, right now. We saw last time how effective they are at installing their Anointed Ones.

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I remember being really shocked while doing a TR interview with an elderly woman. She had been a temple worker for many years so when she told me she kept the word of wisdom I had no reason to suspect otherwise. As we were talking she mentioned that she really loves those "coffee flavored" shakes from McDonalds. I asked her what shake she meant and she said it was one of those caramel frappacinos (or something like that). I asked her if she realized that it tasted like coffee because it had coffee in it but she didn't believe me. She thought it was like the coffee flavored ice cream at the store. It took some work but I finally convinced her that it was a coffee product and she committed to stop drinking them...but she was a bit sad about it :) 

Some of those drinks are so much ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce etc that it's probably only 2% coffee. I'm sure there's more than 2% alcohol in Nyquil but that's ok, I guess. Or who has ever drank Kombucha? .5% alcohol, but it's so miniscule that even a kid could go in and buy one.

All of that to say...it was probably a good thing that they clarified some of this because I'm sure there are many people who unwittingly partake of the delicious "coffee flavored" shakes and other goodies at the store. But then again, I guess we all have to ask ourselves whether or not we believe God really has a preference about whether we get a 2000 calorie shake or a 2000 calorie frappucino from McDonalds.

Stop stop stop ruining everything for me. Everyone knows they cook the coffee out when they make the 2000 calorie shake. 

Ps coffee flavored ice cream in the grocery store is made of coffee. But they cook that out too so we are all good there. 😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Stop stop stop ruining everything for me. Everyone knows they cook the coffee out when they make the 2000 calorie shake. 

Ps coffee flavored ice cream in the grocery store is made of coffee. But they cook that out too so we are all good there. 😂

Funny. 

But this caused me just now out of curiosity  to fact -check the long-held notion that the alcohol "cooks out" when wine or spirits are used as ingredients in food. I found this.:

Wine, spirits, and beer are used in cooking to enhance the flavor and aroma of dishes. Contrary to what most people believe, the entire alcohol content doesn’t always evaporate or boil away before the food is served. A study from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory showed that it can take longer than two and a half hours for all the alcohol to be cooked out of food to which wine or some other alcoholic beverage has been added. The study showed that the amount of alcohol remaining depends in part on the cooking method. For example, after brandy has been “flamed” – poured on foods and then set alight – approximately 75 percent of the alcohol remains after the flames have died down.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Funny. 

But this caused me just now out of curiosity  to fact -check the long-held notion that the alcohol "cooks out" when wine or spirits are used as ingredients in food. I found this.:

What percentage of the food is alcohol is probably a better measure since orange juice can be .5% alcohol.  Thus you can have technically alcohol free beer.

https://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/what-meant-alcoholfree-a-5.html

On 8/13/2019 at 11:41 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

Funny. 

The problem with making a "thing" out of this is that we get so wrapped around the axle with using wine or beer as a cooking ingredient and that leaves, what, 1 - 3% of the alcohol behind, that we turn completely into Pharisees.  Remember how the prohibition to cooking a calf in its mother's milk leads to the requirement for having two different sets of cooking pots, one for cooking things with milk, and the other for things without milk?  If the recipe calls for 60 ml of red wine that goes into a batter that ends up being 2 or 3 liters in volume, and is then baked for an hour, you're really going to worry about the ten molecules of ethanol that don't evaporate out?

Ever add vanilla extract to a dish while cooking it?  Well, better not do it again, because vanilla is extracted using alcohol.  Congratulations, you've just used an alcoholic drink to cook with.  Hand in your temple recommend.

• Like 1

In my YSA ward back in the 00’s our Bishop did a special lesson on energy drinks and how horrible they are for you. He did not say they were against the Word of Wisdom but basically said they were horrible and felt we should know what is in it before anyone drank it.