Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

When I was in the Army they forced me to get up early.  Every darned day (except most weekends).  I was not in love with that, let me tell you.  They once sent me to a training school where there was a period when they wouldn't let me sleep for about 48 hours, and made me skulk around ambushing and being ambushed.  With tear gas occasionally.  Makes one appreciate sleep, that does! And clean air.  If you get tired enough you will sleep on the muddy ground or even standing up!

I went three days straight without sleep....well, I took a five minute nap at one point. Do not recommend. Was hallucinating by the end.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if President Nelson ever drinks caffeine.  Or has.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Rivers said:

I wonder if President Nelson ever drinks caffeine.  Or has.

No doubt about Wendy. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, MustardSeed said:

No doubt.  

My sense of hypocrisy is not about caffeine.  When I drink soda, knowing it does nothing for me and that the artificial sweeteners are far worse than even the sugar, I feel guilty because I claim to live the w.o.w. And yet I do this terribly unhealthy thing. It makes my commitment sort of empty. Imo. 

There are very specific requirements for Church members with regard to the Word of Wisdom. For your own purposes, you can embrace additional ideas if you wish, but if you superimpose them upon what is required of Church members at this time, such that you feel “hypocritical” or “guilty” when you depart from them, you are going beyond the mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/7/2019 at 9:34 PM, Rivers said:

I wonder if President Nelson ever drinks caffeine.  Or has.

I don’t know the answer to that question, but regardless, don’t we as a people reject the idea that Church leaders are infallible? If we avoid caffeine, we ought to do it for reasons other than we think that’s what President Nelson does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 5:27 AM, MustardSeed said:

No doubt about Wendy. 

Not hitting at MustardSeed particularly here, because I'm seeing this done quite a bit these days, but when did it become the norm for Church members to refer to the wife of the Church president by her first name only? It seems a tad too presumptuous and is a bit jarring for me as a lifelong Church member admittedly in the late afternoon of life. In the past it has always been Sister Monson or Sister Hinckley or Sister Hunter or Sister Benson or Sister Kimball, etc. 

I don't know that there's any written rule (probably isn't), but it seems an honorific comparable to referring to the Church president by his title and last name as opposed to his first name or, the colder but just as casual surname only without the title. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Not hitting at MustardSeed particularly here, because I'm seeing this done quite a bit these days, but when did it become the norm for Church members to refer to the wife of the Church president by her first name only? It's seems a tad too presumptuous and is a bit jarring for me as a lifelong Church member admittedly in the late afternoon of life. In the past it has always been Sister Monson or Sister Hinckley or Sister Hunter or Sister Benson or Sister Kimball, etc. 

I don't know that there's any written rule (probably isn't), but it seems an honorific comparable to referring to the Church president by his title and last name as opposed to his first name or, the colder but just as casual surname only without the title. 

What happened to “Brother Joseph”?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

What happened to “Brother Joseph”?

It was “Brother Brigham” as well.

The tradition seems to have faded — with Church presidents, at least — as the membership of the Church grew exponentially. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I remember people referring to Camilla a lot. Not saying they should.  First names of people I don’t personally know seems off to me except in a very few places where the person more or less requires it by how they want people to talk about them.  (Popular singers, for example)

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Not hitting at MustardSeed particularly here, because I'm seeing this done quite a bit these days, but when did it become the norm for Church members to refer to the wife of the Church president by her first name only? It seems a tad too presumptuous and is a bit jarring for me as a lifelong Church member admittedly in the late afternoon of life. In the past it has always been Sister Monson or Sister Hinckley or Sister Hunter or Sister Benson or Sister Kimball, etc. 

I don't know that there's any written rule (probably isn't), but it seems an honorific comparable to referring to the Church president by his title and last name as opposed to his first name or, the colder but just as casual surname only without the title. 

My bad.  I know her. Beside that, she hasn’t a “title”. But I get your concern. 

 

Edited by MustardSeed

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

My bad.  I know her. 

 

That makes sense then. I would probably be doing the same knowing me. 

Share this post


Link to post

Tl:dr

From the sounds of things coffee/espresso is like liquid crack to most of you.  O well, more for me!

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, poptart said:

Tl:dr

From the sounds of things coffee/espresso is like liquid crack to most of you.  O well, more for me!

Not in the least. 

Drinking coffee is only a sin if one has covenanted not to.  No one has officially covenanted not to drink caffeine, but they may have chosen to do so as a personal commitment. 

Crack is illegal, ‘recreational’, and extremely dangerous. Coffee/caffeine isn’t even close. 

Though it has only been recent, caffeinated drinks are sold on BYU campus. 

I use caffeinated drinks when I need to stay aware while driving. Otherwise, due to my sleep disorder it screws things up for me. I would if I could use it to help fight the chronic fatigue that is probably the result of the sleep disorder. But not an option as it no longer gives me energy. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, poptart said:

Tl:dr

From the sounds of things coffee/espresso is like liquid crack to most of you.  O well, more for me!

LOL, liquid crack indeed. I just had my last hit about an hour ago then.  And you can't have it all -- or at least all of mine!

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:54 AM, mfbukowski said:

Wait til you get there. Then ask yourself ;)

 

I have NEVER heard anyone complain about being dead. 

 

Just sayin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It was “Brother Brigham” as well.

The tradition seems to have faded — with Church presidents, at least — as the membership of the Church grew exponentially. 

My stake president always uses the first name with brother or sister. At least with those he knows well. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Vance said:

I have NEVER heard anyone complain about being dead. 

 

Just sayin.

How many have you asked?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JAHS said:

My stake president always uses the first name with brother or sister. At least with those he knows well. 

I can see doing it with those one knows well — which could explain the “Brother Joseph” and “Brother Brigham” thing, the membership being much smaller then and the people more apt to know one another personally. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Calm said:

Not in the least. 

Drinking coffee is only a sin if one has covenanted not to.  No one has officially covenanted not to drink caffeine, but they may have chosen to do so as a personal commitment. 

Crack is illegal, ‘recreational’, and extremely dangerous. Coffee/caffeine isn’t even close. 

Though it has only been recent, caffeinated drinks are sold on BYU campus. 

I use caffeinated drinks when I need to stay aware while driving. Otherwise, due to my sleep disorder it screws things up for me. I would if I could use it to help fight the chronic fatigue that is probably the result of the sleep disorder. But not an option as it no longer gives me energy. 

That's one reason why I tend to limit myself, side affect of all the things I went through over the past years was I have insomnia fits from time to time.  Not nearly as bad now but they still happen. 

5 hours ago, Stargazer said:

LOL, liquid crack indeed. I just had my last hit about an hour ago then.  And you can't have it all -- or at least all of mine!

Chapelle show fan?  Ever see the Tyrone Biggums skits?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

My bad.  I know her. Beside that, she hasn’t a “title”. But I get your concern. 

 

If you know her, I get it. 

I was referring to “Sister” ( or “Brother”) as a title. It seems to have that function in our culture, especially when capitalized and placed before a proper name. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I can see doing with those one knows well — which could explain the “Brother Joseph” and “Brother Brigham” thing, the membership being much smaller then and the people more apt to know one another personally. 

It's very common in the South in most Christian churches.  Even Catholics priests will go by "Father Jim" etc.

It's very odd being called "Bishop" for the rest of your life when others just use first names.  And then for example while teaching EQ sometimes calling on someone to give a comment I will use their first name, but I am always "Bishop" even though it's been 9 years since I was one.

I would prefer to be "one of the guys" quite frankly.  It is not like something we did to merit a calling which sets us apart- obedient LDS just take the callings to which they are called.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, poptart said:

Chapelle show fan?  Ever see the Tyrone Biggums skits?

No, sorry, never seen it!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Calm said:

I remember people referring to Camilla a lot. Not saying they should.  First names of people I don’t personally know seems off to me except in a very few places where the person more or less requires it by how they want people to talk about them.  (Popular singers, for example)

There was a biography of Sister Kimball titled “Camilla,” published by Deseret Book while President Kimball was in office. Perhaps that’s what is influencing your memory. I don’t know that the book affected popular behavior in this regard, though. I believe she was still “Sister Kimball” to most of us. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

It's very common in the South in most Christian churches.  Even Catholics priests will go by "Father Jim" etc.

It's very odd being called "Bishop" for the rest of your life when others just use first names.  And then for example while teaching EQ sometimes calling on someone to give a comment I will use their first name, but I am always "Bishop" even though it's been 9 years since I was one.

I would prefer to be "one of the guys" quite frankly.  It is not like something we did to merit a calling which sets us apart- obedient LDS just take the callings to which they are called.

I think that’s your modesty showing through. Like it or not, the calling brings a certain aura of honor, respect, even affection, that many of us are loath to let go of after the man has been released. And technically, you do retain the priesthood office of bishop, latent though it may be. 

Share this post


Link to post

For the record, I can’t stand being called Sister First Name. 

Sounds in my ear either nun-ish or cultish.  Just first name works. Or sister last name if must be. Not that it matters here. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...