Seriously No Politics ×

Caffeine

Was curious if anyone had any scientific knowledge on the pros and cons of caffeine.  Starting to really notice just how many people drink those energy drinks, those things have a lot more than caffeine and it seems like people especially kids go for em because they're loaded with sugar and who knows what. 

I like coffee and espresso in the morning, i switch to green tea in the afternoons and that's it, I see co workers mostly slamming down the energy drinks anymore.  Some of those things even have warnings on em.  Starting to think those things are to caffeine what spice/synthetic marijuana is to well, marijuana. 

9 minutes ago, poptart said:

Was curious if anyone had any scientific knowledge on the pros and cons of caffeine. 

Here you go.  Scientific knowledge.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/caffeine-and-alcohol.htm

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-979/caffeine

On 8/3/2019 at 9:07 AM, poptart said:

Was curious if anyone had any scientific knowledge on the pros and cons of caffeine.  Starting to really notice just how many people drink those energy drinks, those things have a lot more than caffeine and it seems like people especially kids go for em because they're loaded with sugar and who knows what. 

I like coffee and espresso in the morning, i switch to green tea in the afternoons and that's it, I see co workers mostly slamming down the energy drinks anymore.  Some of those things even have warnings on em.  Starting to think those things are to caffeine what spice/synthetic marijuana is to well, marijuana. 

As teachers, Sister Gui and I marvel at the amount of coffee many of our colleagues put down during the school day...from a Starbucks Trenta when they come in, to Starbucks expeditions during lunch, to the constant refills from the coffee maker in the lounge and various iced coffees in bottles throughout the rest of the day. Many have a constant cup on their desks.This is not cheap! Amazing!

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 minute ago, Bernard Gui said:

As teachers, Sister Gui marvel at the amount of coffee some of our colleagues put down during the school day...from a Starbucks Trenta when they come in to the constant refills from the teachers lounge coffee maker and various iced coffees in bottles throughout the rest of the day. Many have a constant cup on their desks. Amazing!

Every once in a great white i'll drink coffee in the afternoon, when I can I opt for the Japanese coffee in a can.  Most starbucks stuff is even worse, that sugary sludge they sell is horrible for you, know for a while they were selling these things, considering they had my favorite colors and a really cute design I almost fell for it.  These things are horrible for you....

2cf6b3fac76187a4978c50e23e8f8a16.jpg

I know its hell to get over when you are old and have been drinking it in one form or other for a lifetime and the cardiologist tells you you have to quit, which he will most likely. In the long run it's not good for you so why not face the music now?

A friend told me that.  ;)

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20060815/coffee-may-trigger-heart-attack#1

Aug. 15, 2006 -- That cup of coffee you're craving might not be such a good idea.

Research in the September issue of Epidemiologysuggests coffee can trigger a heart attack within an hour in some people.

Java junkies can take some comfort from the finding that the risk was highest among light coffee drinkers (those who consumed up to one cup a day).

For those people, the risk of heart attackincreased fourfold when they indulged.

Couch potatoes and those with other risk factors for heart disease were also at greater risk of having a heart attack after drinking a cup of coffee, the study showed.

As a result of these findings, "people at high risk for a heart attack who are occasional or regular coffee drinkers might consider quitting coffee altogether," says researcher Ana Baylin, a research associate at Brown University School of Medicine in Providence, RI, in a news release.

Baylin, who works in the department of nutritionat Brown, adds that for these individuals, a cup of coffee could be "the straw that broke the camel's back."

Edited by mfbukowski

A study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association found that caffeinated energy drinks altered the heart's electrical activity and raised blood pressure. People who take certain medications or have a specific type of heart condition could be at increased risk of a fatal arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat.  For certain groups, it could be potentially dangerous, like for those under 18, women who are pregnant, people who have a caffeine sensitivity, people who don't consume caffeine on a regular basis and people who are taking certain medications, like Adderall for attention deficit disorder.

Impact of High Volume Energy Drink Consumption on Electrocardiographic and Blood Pressure Parameters

Edited by JAHS
6 hours ago, JAHS said:

A study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association found that caffeinated energy drinks altered the heart's electrical activity and raised blood pressure. People who take certain medications or have a specific type of heart condition could be at increased risk of a fatal arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat.  ..................................

My cardiologist told me to quit chocolate for the same reason -- it is a heart stimulant, chemically closely related to caffeine.

14 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

My cardiologist told me to quit chocolate for the same reason -- it is a heart stimulant, chemically closely related to caffeine.

Oh! say it ain't so!  Not giving up chocolate!

kirk.gif.164fc41db65616b8d4c99c7c7a301570.gif

45 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Mine made it simple.

He just said "if it tastes good, you can't have it".  :)

Ah yes, the golden years!  ;)

54 minutes ago, ERMD said:

All this from the guy who has one Diet Dr Pepper a day...

Lucky dog... , you drug fiend you.... ;)

17 hours ago, Vance said:

There are somethings that are worth having a shortened life for.

Wait til you get there. Then ask yourself ;)

For what it is worth.  I ran across this article about coffee

Happy ever after: 25 ways to live well into old age

Enjoy coffee

Coffee is rich in antioxidants, polyphenols and phenylindane, a recently identified compound that researchers think may help fend off Alzheimer’sand Parkinson’s disease. Drinking coffee has also been linked to reduced risks for several cancers, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Drink your coffee without sugar or processed syrups, and don’t make it too milky: the antioxidant value appears to drop when milk is added.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, LoudmouthMormon said:

Thanks and saved.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, mfbukowski said:

I know its hell to get over when you are old and have been drinking it in one form or other for a lifetime and the cardiologist tells you you have to quit, which he will most likely. In the long run it's not good for you so why not face the music now?

A friend told me that.  ;)

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20060815/coffee-may-trigger-heart-attack#1

TBH I have been  cutting back, actually suprised at how much.  That's a big problem I have, insomnia, most of it caused by the hell I had to endure fighting family for 6 years.  Main reason why i've started to get curious is seeing how many young people drink those energy drinks like water, those things are horrible for you. 

On 8/3/2019 at 10:23 PM, mfbukowski said:

Mine made it simple.

He just said "if it tastes good, you can't have it".  :)

Ah yes, the golden years!  ;)

Death is at times a mercy.  Reminds me of the Tolkien universe and the gift of men, while the Elves are stuck here and to an extent the Dwarves, men just do whatever, leave and when Eu does his thing get to be a part of the 2nd music.  Kind of puts things in perspective I think.

On 8/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, JAHS said:

A study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association found that caffeinated energy drinks altered the heart's electrical activity and raised blood pressure. People who take certain medications or have a specific type of heart condition could be at increased risk of a fatal arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat.  For certain groups, it could be potentially dangerous, like for those under 18, women who are pregnant, people who have a caffeine sensitivity, people who don't consume caffeine on a regular basis and people who are taking certain medications, like Adderall for attention deficit disorder.

Impact of High Volume Energy Drink Consumption on Electrocardiographic and Blood Pressure Parameters

Bingo, thanks for that.  Since I'm now in school for and working in the field it's stuff like this i'm starting to compile. 

On 8/3/2019 at 10:30 PM, ERMD said:

As previously mentioned, the concerning possible effects of caffeine are cardiac, especially tachydysrhytmias (fast heart rates, various types).  Energy drinks are notorious for this.  Caffeine is also a diuretic, and chronic use can have negative effects on renal function.  Those prone to gastric hyperacidity syndromes (gastritis, ulcers) should limit caffeine, since it stimulates gastric acid secretion.

The number one cause of post-operative headaches is caffeine withdrawal.

All this from the guy who has one Diet Dr Pepper a day...

Think Dr. Pepper is one of the few sodas I can stomach, after middle school I quit drinking the stuff.

18 hours ago, california boy said:

For what it is worth.  I ran across this article about coffee

Happy ever after: 25 ways to live well into old age

That much I know.  Thing is, i'm a normal caffeine consumer far as i'm concerned.  I remember seeing friends try drinking that stuff as heavily as the other co workers when we were early 20 somethings, learned real quick the only thing that fixes hangovers is water and rest.  I have an espresso machine and a french press so quite a bit more refined at this point.  What bothers me is the energy drink and caffeine pill fad happening now, the research that happens 10-20 years from now will be quite interesting.

12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

To be fair there are many prescriptions for long life and happiness that are worse then the disease.

Hawaii and parts of the west coast have matchmaking services for people here and others from E. Asia, tbh i've considered it especially now that my brothers have chimed in on moms retirement.  We've had to go through enough misery, violence and legal hell in court, no way and i'm letting some trash person near my mom, esp. after all she's had to endure from people here.  After my Uncle passed and pretty much all that side of the family sold out and chose to be hypocritical racists who hug the Americanized version of the cross while being ok with minorities being shot, yeah i'm done.

16 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

The only only only reason I don’t drink coffee is because I promised not to.  My word means even more to me than my desire to drink it. 

I don't really care about coffee.  I could take it or leave it.  My vice is Diet Coke.  I know I drink more than I should.  My partner is a coffee drinker and can't stand sodas.  The irony is, he is probably making a healthier choice than I am.  

7 hours ago, california boy said:

I don't really care about coffee.  I could take it or leave it.  My vice is Diet Coke.  I know I drink more than I should.  My partner is a coffee drinker and can't stand sodas.  The irony is, he is probably making a healthier choice than I am.  

Unfortunately I think you may be right.  I feel super guilty any time I drink a soda.  Not because of God but because of feel so hypocritical. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Unfortunately I think you may be right.  I feel super guilty any time I drink a soda.  Not because of God but because of feel so hypocritical. 

I throw this out for consideration from time to time: caffeine is not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom.  It is "hot drinks", which Hyrum Smith specifically identified as coffee and tea.  It is also not herbal infusions of plants not identified as "tea".  "Tea" is a specific plant, camellia sinensis, what people call "black tea".  I bring this up because I am aware that there are some LDS members who think because something is called tea, it is tea, and is against the Word of Wisdom.  So peppermint tea, to them, is against the WoW.  As I said, the word "tea" refers to a specific plant, but because this plant is almost always prepared for consumption as an infusion, and it is so ubiquitous, that the word "tea" has come to be synonymous with camellia sinensis.  If "tea" were against the WoW, then British LDS would not be permitted to eat the evening meal or possibly not the noon meal because the common name for either is "tea".  I remember my first introduction to this.  A member family I was visiting one day asked if I would like to stay for tea.  I was shocked, and declined, going home soon thereafter.  What I later learned is that I had been invited to eat dinner (or supper) with them.  Because in the British Isles tea was almost always served with the evening meal (with the electric water kettles firing up every evening almost bringing the electrical grid to its knees), the meal itself came to be referred to as "tea".  Forbidding peppermint tea, or the evening tea because of the word "tea" would be like forbidding "coffee cake", which contains no coffee, but gets the name because it is frequently eaten while drinking coffee.

And then we have "green tea".  Sorry folks, it's black tea that has been processed differently.  It's still camellia sinensis.

Arguing caffeine as against the WoW, why not argue that water is against the WoW?  Because coffee and tea are drank using water.  What about the various other components of coffee and tea drinks?  

Anyway, that's my take on the matter.  Caffeine is not the Word of Wisdom.

2 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I throw this out for consideration from time to time: caffeine is not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom.  It is "hot drinks", which Hyrum Smith specifically identified as coffee and tea.  It is also not herbal infusions of plants not identified as "tea".  "Tea" is a specific plant, camellia sinensis, what people call "black tea".  I bring this up because I am aware that there are some LDS members who think because something is called tea, it is tea, and is against the Word of Wisdom.  So peppermint tea, to them, is against the WoW.  As I said, the word "tea" refers to a specific plant, but because this plant is almost always prepared for consumption as an infusion, and it is so ubiquitous, that the word "tea" has come to be synonymous with camellia sinensis.  If "tea" were against the WoW, then British LDS would not be permitted to eat the evening meal or possibly not the noon meal because the common name for either is "tea".  I remember my first introduction to this.  A member family I was visiting one day asked if I would like to stay for tea.  I was shocked, and declined, going home soon thereafter.  What I later learned is that I had been invited to eat dinner (or supper) with them.  Because in the British Isles tea was almost always served with the evening meal (with the electric water kettles firing up every evening almost bringing the electrical grid to its knees), the meal itself came to be referred to as "tea".  Forbidding peppermint tea, or the evening tea because of the word "tea" would be like forbidding "coffee cake", which contains no coffee, but gets the name because it is frequently eaten while drinking coffee.

And then we have "green tea".  Sorry folks, it's black tea that has been processed differently.  It's still camellia sinensis.

Arguing caffeine as against the WoW, why not argue that water is against the WoW?  Because coffee and tea are drank using water.  What about the various other components of coffee and tea drinks?  

Anyway, that's my take on the matter.  Caffeine is not the Word of Wisdom.

No doubt.  

My sense of hypocrisy is not about caffeine.  When I drink soda, knowing it does nothing for me and that the artificial sweeteners are far worse than even the sugar, I feel guilty because I claim to live the w.o.w. And yet I do this terribly unhealthy thing. It makes my commitment sort of empty. Imo. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

No doubt.  

My sense of hypocrisy is not about caffeine.  When I drink soda, knowing it does nothing for me and that the artificial sweeteners are far worse than even the sugar, I feel guilty because I claim to live the w.o.w. And yet I do this terribly unhealthy thing. It makes my commitment sort of empty. Imo. 

Well, then, I guess I was over-reacting.

I have to deal with the same hypocrisy, actually.  Not that I'm particular exercised by caffeine, but that I'm rather obese and am not making any real attempt to do something about it.  I keep thinking hard about it, though.  I know doggone well that if it weren't for the Word of Wisdom and my commitment to live it, I'd be in serious health problems now.  I'm going onto 68 and smoking pretty much killed my dad at age 46, and may have had a hand in my mother's death at age 27 from breast cancer.  As it is, aside from some uncomfortable issues related to my weight which would be largely gone if I lost 100 lbs, I'm in pretty good health.  No meds, all the vital signs are in good order.  And I still have all my hair, though quite gray at this point.  

55 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Well, then, I guess I was over-reacting.

I have to deal with the same hypocrisy, actually.  Not that I'm particular exercised by caffeine, but that I'm rather obese and am not making any real attempt to do something about it.  I keep thinking hard about it, though.  I know doggone well that if it weren't for the Word of Wisdom and my commitment to live it, I'd be in serious health problems now.  I'm going onto 68 and smoking pretty much killed my dad at age 46, and may have had a hand in my mother's death at age 27 from breast cancer.  As it is, aside from some uncomfortable issues related to my weight which would be largely gone if I lost 100 lbs, I'm in pretty good health.  No meds, all the vital signs are in good order.  And I still have all my hair, though quite gray at this point.  

Yes it’s easy to be hypocritical with the w o w .  I’m quite physically fit, always have been, I do take the w o w pretty seriously and have committed my entire life to abstain from the big ones, plus exercise regularly and am pretty conscientious about my food intake.  So when I drink sodas I question my own commitment. 

That said, I’ve never been an early riser, either. 

19 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Yes it’s easy to be hypocritical with the w o w .  I’m quite physically fit, always have been, I do take the w o w pretty seriously and have committed my entire life to abstain from the big ones, plus exercise regularly and am pretty conscientious about my food intake.  So when I drink sodas I question my own commitment. 

That said, I’ve never been an early riser, either. 

When I was in the Army they forced me to get up early.  Every darned day (except most weekends).  I was not in love with that, let me tell you.  They once sent me to a training school where there was a period when they wouldn't let me sleep for about 48 hours, and made me skulk around ambushing and being ambushed.  With tear gas occasionally.  Makes one appreciate sleep, that does! And clean air.  If you get tired enough you will sleep on the muddy ground or even standing up!

Edited by Stargazer