Seriously No Politics ×

Inclusiveness and Gay Children of God

27 minutes ago, Calm said:

The Salt Lake Tribune said Smart plans to separate from his wife and doesn’t see a place for himself in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints anymore, according to a story in the Deseret News.”

That is just weird reporting. 

It is possible Smart saw it had been taken public by someone else and called Des News to get out in front of the rumor mill. It is also possible someone leaked it to Des News and they went ahead and published against his wishes. I explained why that seem atypical behaviour of the agency in the other thread. Hope that makes sense. I am just speculating. I am not invested in either position though I will be critical of Des News if they were just trying to be first and ignored his wishes as I would be of any news that did that to a private individual.   It just feels too positive of an article about Smart and his choice to be an outing to me. 

Outing doesn't have to be pejorative or malicious. It is insensitive and presumptious in nature, I think.

5 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

It is unfortunate that, apparently, Des News decided to out Smart. The Facebook message was intended for friends and family only, and was deleted shortly after being posted. 

If he posted it on the internet then he outed himself. Sorry, but this is like Internet 101: nothing you post online is ever truly private. This is especially true for any social media platform.

The only kind of privacy on social media is perceived privacy, because ultimately you have absolutely zero control over what others can / will see. 

8 minutes ago, Amulek said:

If he posted it on the internet then he outed himself. Sorry, but this is like Internet 101: nothing you post online is ever truly private. This is especially true for any social media platform.

The only kind of privacy on social media is perceived privacy, because ultimately you have absolutely zero control over what others can / will see. 

To me it is a question of manners and good decorum. During and after the kidnapping of his daughter, Mr. Smart took a lot of time to talk to Deseret News and a number of other outlets. IMO, he has already given the "public" media enough and mindful people will leave him and his family alone in their private matters. Of course, there will always be people and entities that lack some scruples.

5 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

On the Internet? Yeah, that’ll be the day. ;) 

Of course. I guess I feel extra protective of Smart and his family. They've been through so much, and the details of their lives have become media currency :(

Just now, Meadowchik said:

Of course. I guess I feel extra protective of Smart and his family. They've been through so much, and the details of their lives have become media currency :(

It must be a Utah thing. I was only peripherally aware of it, primarily from skimming threads here about it.

2 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It must be a Utah thing. I was only peripherally aware of it, primarily from skimming threads here about it.

Nah, not just Utah.  We know enough about it in my area, and this news of their divorce elicits plenty of empathy due to the knowledge of their tragic lives.  Not much else needs to be known beyond the basics to understand how difficult life has been for this family, imo. 

7 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Nah, not just Utah.  We know enough about it in my area, and this news of their divorce elicits plenty of empathy due to the knowledge of their tragic lives.  Not much else needs to be known beyond the basics to understand how difficult life has been for this family, imo. 

Yeah, and I do not mean to imply this should not matter to the family and those close to them. It is just hard for me to understand how others are invested in the story of the family. Then again I feel the same thing about people caring about sports when they are not participants so I am probably missing out on some gene that makes people enjoy this stuff. I wish I had it.

I own this shirt:

go-local-sports-team-shirt-i-sarcastic-f

Everyone I know laughs and says it is accurate. I am probably missing out on a lot of vicarious fun and that is kind of sad. I still some times go to games with others and enjoy them a little. I used to be perversely proud of my detachment but came to a realization similar to this one.

super_bowl_2x.png

Edited by The Nehor
18 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I'm not from Utah but did live there when it happened, even joined searchers for half s day. In happy shock when she was found.

But it was a huge international story at the time. 

5 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

I'm not from Utah but did live there when it happened, even joined searchers for half s day. In happy shock when she was found.

But it was a huge international story at the time. 

Oh, guess I missed that too. I only follow the news sporadically. My bad, sorry for implying it was a local story.

49 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Oh, guess I missed that too. I only follow the news sporadically. My bad, sorry for implying it was a local story.

It was very interesting to me at the time to be able to watch a news story unfold, observe some of it personally, then see the varying coverage, both on local channels and then CNN... eye-opening.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:08 AM, Meadowchik said:

There is a simple solution here. If the church can believe that gay marriage isn't real marriage, then it can also say that gay "relations" aren't real "relations." Problem solved!

Why would it do that? It has never said such a thing about illicit heterosexual relations.