Seriously No Politics ×

Social Security Administration phone scam

provoman

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any other information about the scam?  Have law enforcement or consumer protection groups issued any information about it?

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Do you have any other information about the scam?  Have law enforcement or consumer protection groups issued any information about it?

I got an alert call from the city warning that it was hitting our area.

That has happened a couple of times with some of the worse stuff...when an arrest is threatened or claims that your grandkids have been kidnapped.

Edited by Calm
  • 2 weeks later...

I received one of these SS scam calls on Aug. 5th. Basically, the automated message told me that someone had committed acts of fraud on my SS#, a bench warrant had been issued for my arrest and a lawsuit was in the process of being filed. However, if I pushed #1 I would reach the officer assigned to my case and he would be able to assist me in resolving these issues before they went any further. 

I knew it had to be bogus but I admit to initially being a little scared( I mean, people do steal SS#s all the time). I entered Social Security scams online and a few different pages came up; the first being from the FTC- Federal Trade Commission. It was a wonderful source of reassuring info, as well as an abundance of posters commenting on their experience with the very same scam. Anyone on SS should check it out, forewarned is forearmed. 😉  https://www.consumer.ftc.gov  The blog is entitled “This Is What A Social Security scam sounds like”, dated Dec. 27, 2018.

Oh, thanks, Calm. 🙂