Seriously No Politics ×

Boarding House and the Temple

So this is more of a scriptural clarification. In reading D&C 124, specifically the first half, I had a hard time differentiating between when the Lord was talking about the Nauvoo House and the Temple. To me there is no obvious switch between the two starting in verse 22 and ending in 47. Obviously the Lord picks back up on the Nauvoo House in verse 56 because he actually gives it a name and mentions "boarding strangers." However the preceding verse don't seem to make a difference? 

If I was reading this, having no prior knowledge of the history in Nauvoo, I would most likely not realize there were two different buildings. The saints and Joseph obviously knew there was a difference but how did they know that from this revelation? Maybe you can clarify for me. It also makes it sound like if the saints didn't finish the boarding house in time then they would be cursed, as opposed to the Temple (which is the normal interpretation by some). I honestly don't know how to interpret it. 

As a side, how cool would it be if, in fact, the temple and boarding house were supposed to be the same? A Holy Living Space. I don't know, but to me that would be pretty neat. 

1 hour ago, SettingDogStar said:

So this is more of a scriptural clarification. In reading D&C 124, specifically the first half, I had a hard time differentiating between when the Lord was talking about the Nauvoo House and the Temple. To me there is no obvious switch between the two starting in verse 22 and ending in 47. Obviously the Lord picks back up on the Nauvoo House in verse 56 because he actually gives it a name and mentions "boarding strangers." However the preceding verse don't seem to make a difference? 

If I was reading this, having no prior knowledge of the history in Nauvoo, I would most likely not realize there were two different buildings. The saints and Joseph obviously knew there was a difference but how did they know that from this revelation? Maybe you can clarify for me. It also makes it sound like if the saints didn't finish the boarding house in time then they would be cursed, as opposed to the Temple (which is the normal interpretation by some). I honestly don't know how to interpret it. 

As a side, how cool would it be if, in fact, the temple and boarding house were supposed to be the same? A Holy Living Space. I don't know, but to me that would be pretty neat. 

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/revelations-in-context/organizing-the-church-in-nauvoo?lang=eng

Some snippets, though I think a full read might answer your questions:

"Wording of the proclamation was to include an invitation to “come ye with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughter of Zion.” This concept of inviting visitors to come to Nauvoo and learn of the gospel and assist the Saints was inseparably connected with another prominent subject of the revelation—the construction and purpose of the Nauvoo House."

"The revelation commanded that two buildings be built: a temple and a hotel, or “boarding house,” called the Nauvoo House. Both were referred to as “a house unto my name,” both were to be holy places, worthy of the Lord’s acceptance, and both were to become the central building projects of the Saints for the next six years."

"While the temple occupies the place of greatest significance spiritually and historically, more of the revelation is devoted to the Nauvoo House than to any other subject."

"Joseph Smith repeatedly emphasized the importance of the Nauvoo House."

"Due to the Saints’ impoverished condition and the press of building a new city, both the temple and the Nauvoo House progressed slowly. The two buildings competed for the same labor and material resources, and both projects lagged. Ultimately, in the fall of 1845, when it was clear that the Saints’ time in Nauvoo was limited, it became necessary to favor the completion of the temple, and in a meeting on the evening of Sunday, September 14, it was reluctantly “agreed to turn more force of hands to the Temple even if it have to hinder the Nauvoo House.”

My take is that since the boarding house was also to the the Prophet's residence, and he held the keys, the property would be as consecrated and aligned with the purposes of God as the holy temple. The boarding house would be like a rectory on spiritual steroids, for the Prophet would certainly receive revelation at home, and administer the revelations from home, as well preside over all things done by virtue of the delegated keys in the temple. I think this is where your idea of the holy living space might be applicable, for the Prophet would certainly be living a holy life in all places and circumstances he found himself.

From the article, it seems this revelation was in eh forefront of, and was discussed and clarified extensively in, day-to-day communications.

24 minutes ago, CV75 said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/revelations-in-context/organizing-the-church-in-nauvoo?lang=eng

Some snippets, though I think a full read might answer your questions:

"Wording of the proclamation was to include an invitation to “come ye with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughter of Zion.” This concept of inviting visitors to come to Nauvoo and learn of the gospel and assist the Saints was inseparably connected with another prominent subject of the revelation—the construction and purpose of the Nauvoo House."

"The revelation commanded that two buildings be built: a temple and a hotel, or “boarding house,” called the Nauvoo House. Both were referred to as “a house unto my name,” both were to be holy places, worthy of the Lord’s acceptance, and both were to become the central building projects of the Saints for the next six years."

"While the temple occupies the place of greatest significance spiritually and historically, more of the revelation is devoted to the Nauvoo House than to any other subject."

"Joseph Smith repeatedly emphasized the importance of the Nauvoo House."

"Due to the Saints’ impoverished condition and the press of building a new city, both the temple and the Nauvoo House progressed slowly. The two buildings competed for the same labor and material resources, and both projects lagged. Ultimately, in the fall of 1845, when it was clear that the Saints’ time in Nauvoo was limited, it became necessary to favor the completion of the temple, and in a meeting on the evening of Sunday, September 14, it was reluctantly “agreed to turn more force of hands to the Temple even if it have to hinder the Nauvoo House.”

My take is that since the boarding house was also to the the Prophet's residence, and he held the keys, the property would be as consecrated and aligned with the purposes of God as the holy temple. The boarding house would be like a rectory on spiritual steroids, for the Prophet would certainly receive revelation at home, and administer the revelations from home, as well preside over all things done by virtue of the delegated keys in the temple. I think this is where your idea of the holy living space might be applicable, for the Prophet would certainly be living a holy life in all places and circumstances he found himself.

From the article, it seems this revelation was in eh forefront of, and was discussed and clarified extensively in, day-to-day communications.

Makes sense. Though I wonder if the Lord was sorely disappointed at their failure on behalf of the Nauvoo House? Because, again, the first part of the revelation doesn't seem to differentiate between the two separate buildings. 

2 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

Makes sense. Though I wonder if the Lord was sorely disappointed at their failure on behalf of the Nauvoo House? Because, again, the first part of the revelation doesn't seem to differentiate between the two separate buildings. 

I am sure He was disappointed, and He explains how He handles that in verse 49.

In context, I think people can see where the purposes of the two structures do overlap in most essential elements, except one is a home and boarding house where the Prophet can dwell to direct the use of the restored keys including temple ordinances (see how “contemplate” and “cornerstone” are used in vs. 23-24), and one is the temple where the Lord can dwell and where those ordinances are administered (v. 27-28). In both places, revelation including the restoration of priesthood keys can be realized.

I’d say verses 25-27 also tie symbolically to the temple and not the boarding house -- though they could I suppose -- as these materials are those found in Isaiah prophesy about rebuilding the temple.