Seriously No Politics ×

1974 Address By a US President at USU's Commencement

27 minutes ago, USU78 said:

I was out of town and missed this when it happened:

-- President Gerald Ford

Happy Pioneer Day!

And GoAgs!

At the same time as the Saints set out from Nauvoo in 1846, Sam Brannan set sail from the East Coast with a colony of Mormons and sailed around the horn, landing at what is now San Francisco. Brannan wanted Brigham Young to bring the Saints all the way west to the coast, but President Young would not have it. 

Today, some 170 years later, Salt Lake City is prospering while San Francisco is languishing with homelessness, human feces and hypodermic needles on the streets and people leaving in droves because of the city politics. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

At the same time as the Saints set out from Nauvoo in 1846, Sam Brannan set sail from the East Coast with a colony of Mormons and sailed around the horn, landing at what is now San Francisco. Brannan wanted Brigham Young to bring the Saints all the way west to the coast, but President Young would not have it. 

Today, some 170 years later, Salt Lake City is prospering while San Francisco is languishing with homelessness, human feces and hypodermic needles on the streets and people leaving in droves because of the city politics. 

San Francisco is quite nice. There is a reason it is so expensive to live there and it is not because it is Detroit. I would love to live near it and not just because I miss California beaches. Okay, it is mostly because I miss California beaches. :( 

32 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

San Francisco is quite nice. There is a reason it is so expensive to live there and it is not because it is Detroit. I would love to live near it and not just because I miss California beaches. Okay, it is mostly because I miss California beaches. :( 

John Stossel: San Francisco has become the slum by the bay -- Bad laws cause city's homeless crisis

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/john-stossel-san-francisco-has-become-the-slum-by-the-bay-bad-laws-cause-citys-homeless-crisis

13 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

John Stossel: San Francisco has become the slum by the bay -- Bad laws cause city's homeless crisis

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/john-stossel-san-francisco-has-become-the-slum-by-the-bay-bad-laws-cause-citys-homeless-crisis

Oh cool, an opinion piece from a news network that hates San Francisco and the people in it and licks their chops at any chance to portray it as a cesspool. I will give this piece all the attention it deserves.

tenor.gif?itemid=10610077

Erastus Snow recorded this account during his first view attempt of the GSL Valley, on July 21, 1847:
“The thicket down the narrows, at the mouth of the (Emigration) canyon, was so dense that one could not penetrate through it. I crawled for some distance on my hands and knees through the thickets, until I was compelled to return, admonished to by the rattle of a snake, which lay coiled up under my nose, having almost put my hand on him; but as he gave me the friendly warning, I thanked him and retreated. We raised on to a high point south of the narrows, where we got a view of the Great Salt Lake and this valley, and each of us, without saying a word to the other, instinctively, as if by inspiration, raised out hats from our heads, and then, swinging our hats, shouted.” (-From “Utah in Her Western Setting,” by Milton R. Hunter, page 112.)

1 hour ago, USU78 said:

I was out of town and missed this when it happened:

-- President Gerald Ford

Happy Pioneer Day!

And GoAgs!

I'm just glad he didn't trip at the podium.

I have never understood why there is a whole day dedicated to putting pie in your ears.

I find it uncomfortable, especially the seeds.

Edited by mfbukowski
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Well yeah.

You ever tried to live through the Utah winters in a tent?  ;)

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Oh cool, an opinion piece from a news network that hates San Francisco and the people in it and licks their chops at any chance to portray it as a cesspool. I will give this piece all the attention it deserves.

Nice ad hom. 

Do you even know who John Stossel is? He’s been around for decades, and Fox didn’t invent him. 

Can you factually refute anything in this report? 

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Well yeah.

You ever tried to live through the Utah winters in a tent?  ;)

So it’s all attributable to the weather then? None of it to crappy municipal government? 

QUOTE:

San Francisco is a pretty good place to “hang out with a sign.” People are rarely arrested for vagrancy, aggressive panhandling or going to the bathroom in front of people’s homes. In 2015, there were 60,491 complaints to police, but only 125 people were arrested. 

Public drug use is generally ignored. One woman told us, “It’s nasty seeing people shoot up -- right in front of you. Police don’t do anything about it! They’ll get somebody for drinking a beer but walk right past people using needles.”

Each day in San Francisco, an average of 85 cars are broken into.

“Inside  Edition” ran a test to see how long stereo equipment would last in a parked car. Their test car was quickly broken into. Then the camera crew discovered that their own car had been busted into as well.

Some store owners hire private police to protect their stores. But San Francisco’s police union has complained about the competition. Now there are only a dozen private cops left, and street people dominate neighborhoods. 

We followed one private cop, who asked street people, “Do you need any type of homeless outreach services?”

Most say no. “They love the freedom of not having to follow the rules,” said the cop.

CLOSED QUOTE

Edited by Scott Lloyd
3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Perhaps if Brigham would have settled the saints in San Francisco, things would have turned out different for the Bay Area.

Edited by pogi
45 minutes ago, pogi said:

Perhaps if Brigham would have settled the saints in San Francisco, things would have turned out different for the Bay Area.

He was so sick when they arrived in the Salt Lake valley I wonder if he was thinking, I am too sick to travel anymore lets just stop here and call it "the right place".  😊

Nice ad hom. 

Do you even know who John Stossel is? He’s been around for decades, and Fox didn’t invent him. 

Can you factually refute anything in this report? 

Not factually but I will use a bit of my own and definitely Stossel’s ideology to refute the premises. I will use my Republican roots (please come back GOP, I miss you) to do so. San Francisco is not a cesspool that is basically unlivable.

Proof: It costs a fortune to live in San Francisco, it is roughly as costly as New York City. The high costs of rent show that people want to be there so the free market raises the price. While it may not be to the taste of everyone enough people want to be there and the cost rose accordingly. If it is getting horrifically bad prices would fall. What kind of a capitalist or libertarian would argue that the free market got it wrong?

As to factual refutation it is not a factual piece. Sure, there were some stats and some history but it is mostly anecdotes and you know as well as I do that refuting anecdotes is basically impossible except by spouting your own anecdotes which I did. At least you should know that if you are a journalist. If I went there next week and gave a report that I had a good time and it was nice would you post the story to try to prove that it is, in fact, not nice and that I am wrong to say it is? And that my love of California beaches is approval for public defecation?

And maybe Stossel is right and it is that bad now as it has been a few years since I have been back there but you don’t know that for sure and I do not know that for sure. I am not sure why my comment that I like San Francisco provoked you to post in the first place. Are you so blinkered that you can only see a comment that I liked a city and some beaches in political terms?

Edit: And please do shut up about ad hominem attacks when you routinely dismiss sources based on where they come from. You can’t refuse sources yourself based on the network or newspaper that published something and then act indignant when others suggest a network might be playing to their audience.

Edited by The Nehor
3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I like the light rail system in SLC where I can go from downtown SLC to Lehi for only $2 the last time I was there.  Also the "housing first" program was good.  Hopefully the financing will be restored again.  Not sure what can be done for the bad air quality considering the high growth.  More trains, more electric cars, less wood fireplaces?

My cousin is a trail runner and  would never leave the Utah mountains.  

So it’s all attributable to the weather then? None of it to crappy municipal government? 

QUOTE:

San Francisco is a pretty good place to “hang out with a sign.” People are rarely arrested for vagrancy, aggressive panhandling or going to the bathroom in front of people’s homes. In 2015, there were 60,491 complaints to police, but only 125 people were arrested. 

Public drug use is generally ignored. One woman told us, “It’s nasty seeing people shoot up -- right in front of you. Police don’t do anything about it! They’ll get somebody for drinking a beer but walk right past people using needles.”

Each day in San Francisco, an average of 85 cars are broken into.

Some store owners hire private police to protect their stores. But San Francisco’s police union has complained about the competition. Now there are only a dozen private cops left, and street people dominate neighborhoods. 

“Inside  Edition” ran a test to see how long stereo equipment would last in a parked car. Their test car was quickly broken into. Then the camera crew discovered that their own car had been busted into as well.

We followed one private cop, who asked street people, “Do you need any type of homeless outreach services?”

Most say no. “They love the freedom of not having to follow the rules,” said the cop.

CLOSED QUOTE

You are taking celebrating Pioneer Day as a day to badmouth one of the most popular cities in the world, where people are willing to spend a minimum of a million dollars for a home because you saw a hit piece on a right wing news network.  A city you have actually never lived in.  A city I doubt you have very little personal experience with.  

Classy.

1 hour ago, pogi said:

I think he stopped here because the coast would have been too popular — all that beach front property and all — and the Saints would have soon been overrun. Remember, they had already been oppressed and driven out of at least four locales before. 

I know that he called the Salt Lake Valley and environs “a good place to make saints” — meaning it was just challenging enough to keep them humble and faithful to their God and to hinder others from coming in enough numbers to carry on the oppression that had transpired before. 

On this Pioneer Day, I salute him and them. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
25 minutes ago, california boy said:

You are taking celebrating Pioneer Day as a day to badmouth one of the most popular cities in the world, where people are willing to spend a minimum of a million dollars for a home because you saw a hit piece on a right wing news network.  A city you have actually never lived in.  A city I doubt you have very little personal experience with.  

Classy.

Oh, I think the city has some good points: the beaches for one. And the rich history, culture and visitor attractions. Too crowded for my taste, even if I could afford to live there, but that’s a matter of preference. 

I just think it’s a shame what the politicians and local government have allowed it to become. I hear that people are exiting at an alarming rate, particularly the middle class, because they can’t tolerate it anymore. 

I grew up hearing about California as an idyllic paradise. How very sad to see what is happening there. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
26 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Oh, I think the city has some good points: the beaches for one. And the rich history, culture and visitor attractions. Too crowded for my taste, even if I could afford to live there, but that’s a matter of preference. 

I just think it’s a shame what the politicians and government have allowed it to become. I hear that people are exiting at an alarming rate, particularly the middle class, because they can’t tolerate it anymore. 

I grew up hearing about California as an idyllic paradise. How very sad to see what is happening there. 

Scott, you are commenting about something you know so little about.  People fleeing the city?  Where are all these empty apartments and homes from people leaving at an alarming rate?  Why hasn't the bottom dropped out of the real estate market.  Perhaps Fox News might not be the best place to find out exactly what San Francisco is like.  

I am not saying that San Francisco is without problems, but believe me, that hit piece from Fox News is NOTHING like what is going on in San Francisco. I am not going to defend this beautiful city because frankly, the last thing this city needs is more people wanting to live here.  THAT is the problem.  I could only wish  that people would start fleeing this city at an alarming rate to get our housing prices down to a more sane level. 

The fact that you think the beaches is one of the good parts of San Francisco tells me you have probably never spent more than a couple of weeks in San Francisco.  The beaches of San Francisco are socked in with fog for virtually the entire summer.  You have to wait until the fall before they even see sunshine.

Edited by california boy
1 hour ago, california boy said:

Scott, you are commenting about something you know so little about.  People fleeing the city?  Where are all these empty apartments and homes from people leaving at an alarming rate?  Why hasn't the bottom dropped out of the real estate market.  Perhaps Fox News might not be the best place to find out exactly what San Francisco is like.  

I am not saying that San Francisco is without problems, but believe me, that hit piece from Fox News is NOTHING like what is going on in San Francisco. I am not going to defend this beautiful city because frankly, the last thing this city needs is more people wanting to live here.  THAT is the problem.  I could only wish  that people would start fleeing this city at an alarming rate to get our housing prices down to a more sane level. 

The fact that you think the beaches is one of the good parts of San Francisco tells me you have probably never spent more than a couple of weeks in San Francisco.  The beaches of San Francisco are socked in with fog for virtually the entire summer.  You have to wait until the fall before they even see sunshine.

San Francisco has better beaches than Utah. I’ll give it that! 

But you can argue it out with Nehor about the SF beaches. He seems to like them. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, california boy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/14/quest-to-leave-bay-areas-high-prices-and-traffic-grows/amp/

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

San Francisco is one of the most beautiful, vibrant and successful cities in the world.  Salt Lake City has lots of homelessness.  Several of my kids and siblings live in the Bay Area.  They have a most wonderful lifestyle and the Church is great. 

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Enough already, you two. It's pioneer day, for heaven's sake.