Sign in to follow this  
Nofear

Updated PEW religion survey results

Posted (edited)

The Pew Research Center regularly does statistical surveys. This is an update of one that is was offered a few years ago. The public 15 question, non-scientific, version uses a slightly different subset than the one used previously, if I recall correctly (there wasn't a question about prominent historical Protestant revivalists, for example).

https://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/u-s-religious-knowledge-quiz/

Results from the official survey (EDIT: which is larger than the quick online survey).
https://www.pewforum.org/2019/07/23/what-americans-know-about-religion/

Disappointingly, members of the Church did not do well. Again, if memory serves well, previously we performed quite well, only outperformed by atheists* and Jews*. This time, below average.  :(

Anyway, any speculations why the (perceived) change? Or is it just statistical fluctuation?

* did better than those groups on the Christianity questions, but fared less well with respect to the non-Christian questions.

Edited by Nofear
online quiz not the same as the official one
  • Like 2

I just took the quiz, and got 15/15. I thought it was pretty simple.

I am a Methodist, who was raised Lutheran, so I guess that aligns me with the "mainline Protestant" group.

• Like 1

I thought the Jewish Sabbath question was unnecessarily tricky but got them all right.

I am not sure that such a simple quiz demonstrates much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

I thought the Jewish Sabbath question was unnecessarily tricky but got them all right.

I agree. 15 questions to cover most of the world's major religions? Since it's from Pew Research, I don't think it's clickbait, like many of those quizzes that pop up in my Facebook news feed, saying "91% of Christians can't score above 50% on this quiz." (Quite often the first multiple choice question on such quizzes is something like, "Who, according to the Bible, is the Son of God?") But the Pew quiz isn't a whole lot better than some of those clickbait quizzes.

Oh man!  I used to be a rockstar, but only got 10/15.  Getting old, forgetting about Kaballah and yoga and stuff.

I got all of them correct, as well.  (That doesn't necessarily make me any better or any more knowledgeable than someone who didn't.  Some questions, and some sets of answers, I had to read more than once so as to not be tripped up.)

image.thumb.png.428d163fcea43e6d4b0be1b4475e248b.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I predicted this when they instituted the previous youth SS curriculum.  Ten years without Church history or systematically going through the scriptures took its toll.

Edited by Traela
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Traela said:

I predicted this when they instituted the previous youth SS curriculum.  Ten years without Church history or systematically going through the scriptures took its toll.

Did you take the survey?

1 hour ago, Nofear said:

Anyway, any speculations why the (perceived) change? Or is it just statistical fluctuation?

I'd say it's the anomalatory outturn of a fluctual statistication!

f856ad47c348108db70326352c7c0de1.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Traela said:

They would know what the Sikh religion is about and which statement is one of the Buddha’s Noble Truths if the church curriculum was the same?

• Like 3

Mormons may be more tolerant of other religions than most but we have never been pushed to learn about them. I don't find this surprising. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, juliann said:

Mormons may be more tolerant of other religions than most but we have never been pushed to learn about them. I don't find this surprising. 

There used to be an Institute Class about world religions. I took it. No idea if there still is.

45 minutes ago, Nofear said:

I found the previous version from 2010 (and my memory did serve me correctly). But the drop, across the board, of correct responses is disheartening. A quick look and it seems we Latter-day Saints saw the most significant drop.

https://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/28/u-s-religious-knowledge-survey/

To be fair based on that article the previous survey appears to have had questions about the Church and Joseph Smith. The one I just took had none. Could explain the discrepancy.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

To be fair based on that article the previous survey appears to have had questions about the Church and Joseph Smith. The one I just took had none. Could explain the discrepancy.

The statistics are based on tests that include questions not included in the 15 question public test. The full tests appear to be the same.

Edited by Nofear
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

14 of 15 and the one I missed I blame on my yoga instructor.🙏🧘🏻‍♂️

Edited by let’s roll

25 minutes ago, Nofear said:

The statistics are based on tests that include questions not included in the 15 question public test. The full tests appear to be the same.

Never mind then.

3 hours ago, caspianrex said:

I am a Methodist, who was raised Lutheran, so I guess that aligns me with the "mainline Protestant" group.

Well yes it was pretty easy, I also got 15/15 and there was not even a place to enter my affiliation.

So what does that say about me?   Catholic > atheist > LDS?

Does that make me mainline Protestant?  ;)

How could they know what I was without asking?

35 minutes ago, Nofear said:

Aha.

That's very different.

Nevermind.  :)

But yes in my experience, LDS folks are pretty insular about religion.  They've got theirs and don't care about questioning it.

That's why we have so many dropouts the minute they are asked to think in a new way about what they know.

We need to shake it up a little in giving new perspectives.

13 out of 15... and the 2 missed were about world religions...

I'm actually surprised we didn't do better because of the expanse covered by missionaries and the Church in general...

GG  ... from the beach on an absolutely beautiful day...  cloudless cerulean sky, just a slight breeze, about 69 - 71 degrees... 🏄‍♀️😎

• Like 1

Similar to others, I scored 15/15. Why would LDS scores be lower with this one? Could be statistical anomaly or possibly just common folks not being as interested in others as we once were. However, I really find this hard to believe for LDS. We are such a small group that we naturally learn about the beliefs of others in the normal interactions of life.

I am betting on just an anomaly. 

6 hours ago, caspianrex said:

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Same here, but that may be because we are students of religion in general and try to be well-informed.  What is apparent from the results is that old white men who have graduated from college and who attend services regularly score much higher than others.  Overall, Jews and atheists scored highest.

Update while looking for another aspect.

This is the second time Pew Research Center has tested how much U.S. adults know about religion. The first survey, conducted in 2010, found that atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons were the top performers, while in the new survey, atheists, Jews, agnostics and evangelical Protestants scored highest. However, there are several important differences between the two surveys that make them not directly comparable. To begin with, many of the questions asked in the new survey were not asked in 2010. Just 12 of the 32 current knowledge questions appeared on the 2010 survey, and all the repeated questions have been modified in ways that make direct comparisons impossible.

Another difference is that the 2010 survey was conducted on the phone by live interviewers, while the current survey was conducted online with respondents entering their own answers. Sometimes when the same question is asked in two different modes, such as over the phone and online, there is a difference in results attributable to what survey methodologists call a mode effect. In other words, the presence of a live interviewer may encourage people to answer questions differently than they would if no one was observing their (self-recorded) responses.

They seemed to me more similar in the 32 questions than I thought (I only looked at the 2010 answer key). Seems I overstated the similarity to the 2010 a little. Ah well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Same here, but that may be because we are students of religion in general and try to be well-informed.  What is apparent from the results is that old white men who have graduated from college and who attend services regularly score much higher than others.  Overall, Jews and atheists scored highest.

So, the smartest people are logically older atheists that regularly attend church. ;) 

• Like 1