Sign in to follow this  
MustardSeed

No more EFY. FSY is replacing

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

How is one to have a testimony then? What is the criteria that someone has a legit testimony? That's like me saying you never had one if you ever disbelieve. Are you going to tell me that all those years you never had one? Because that is what you're saying here, albeit they are youth, but still. 

Many youth just endure church, particularly if their parents are just attending out of habit or for social reasons. If the parents do not live the gospel in the home the odds of their kids staying active are low unless they got a testimony somewhere else. I have shared the story before where I and the missionaries were sent to give the lessons to a 9 year old kid whose grandma wanted him baptized. She rarely attended and routinely broke the law of chastity and the word of wisdom. The kid was bright and as we taught the gospel he would ask her why she broke these rules we were teaching and she gave lame excuses and justifications why it was okay for her but he needed to obey those commandments. We thankfully decided not to baptize the kid. This happens even with ostensibly active members who think it is the church’s job to teach their children the gospel.

One gets a testimony through prayer, scripture reading, trying the doctrine, fasting, all the standard stuff. One loses it by not maintaining it. Many youth do not have one. Kids usually have an intellectual assent to the doctrine if they were raised in the church but that is not a testimony.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I don't understand why people are saying this new program will be cheaper.  why are people saying that?  I don't see that discussed in the article.

The 19-July "Official Communication" letter sent to local leaders says that details of "financial arrangements" (among other things) will be shared in a letter at a later date.  To me, that sounds like they will, at a minimum, be expecting some kind of contribution from stake budgets.  They may also ask youth and their families to contribute.

Since the cost of EFY Provo this year is $525 (which I know since I paid for it), I suspect that whatever FSY ends up costing, it's gotta be cheaper than that.  The church can't possibly be asking families or stakes to pay $500 per kid in the stakes overseas where they've been doing this for years.

My guess is that if they are going to be doing FSY conferences in every stake every other year, the contribution asked of stakes can't exceed $50 per kid and the contribution asked of families can't be more than $50 per kid.  This probably means that youth will be sleeping in their own homes and eating some meals at home.  All of this is just my educated guess based on many years of planning youth camps at the ward and stake levels and within those respective budgets and family limitations.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I have friends that just sent their daughter on one to Thailand. Forgot about it being an EFY program. Pretty sure it was this one. https://www.hefy.org/index.php/expeditions/asia-and-oceania/thailand2 The cost is over three thousand, so I understand this may not be sustainable for the church. 

HEFY is not a church program nor is it a BYU program.  HEFY ("Humanitarian EFY") is a private organization that provides an EFY-like experience but wrapped around a service/humanitarian aid emphasis outside of North America.  I've sent my oldest on an HEFY trip and it's a great experience.  HEFY plans to continue its operation.

• Like 1

Am I right to assume that this will replace the annual youth conference? If so, I would bet that the families would be asked to contribute an amount comparable to youth conference and the church would fund the rest in the name of preserving the religion.  Keep the youth strong and the church has a future.  Keep losing youth at the rate we are and the church will struggle. 

There is good reason to throw a lot of money into the youth program. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tacenda said:

What is the criteria that someone has a legit testimony? That's like me saying you never had one if you ever disbelieve.

Last weekend, I took my best mate and his 13-year-old son with me to the temple. Whilst travelling, we each drank a 600ml bottle of chocolate milk, purchased by me. When we arrived in the temple city, we had a very late dinner of charcoal chicken with flatbread, garlic sauce, and pickled turnips and cucumbers. After we left the temple the next day, we had lunch before returning home. I had a plate of rice with chilli seafood, my best mate had the same minus the chilli, and his son had KFC. (Sad, I know!) I also got a mango creamy drink with lychee popping boba, and my best mate had the pineapple creamy drink with the same boba. We got home almost exactly 24 hours after we left.

I have a 'legit testimony' of what I've just shared with you because I experienced it all firsthand. What would you say to me if next week I told you I'd decided that none of this really happened?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rockpond said:

The church can't possibly be asking families or stakes to pay $500 per kid in the stakes overseas where they've been doing this for years.

We've been doing FSY for years. I'm not sure what the cost per youth would be in US dollars, but it might be close to $500. The cost is shared by the family, the ward (through fundraising), the stake and the area office. The event typically occurs at a university or residential college during the holiday period and utilises the otherwise empty residential halls and on-campus catering services. In addition, stakes are responsible for travel costs and arrangements for participants.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 2

I hope they shy away from the previous EFY focusing a bit too much on emotion over Spirit.

• Like 1

Here in Europe, the cost is about 420 € if you're not in one of the participating stakes. Each participating stake covers a portion of the cost for participants, so that the youth or parents only have to pay 90 € out of pocket. That's about $105-$110 per youth.

I assume the model is similar elsewhere, so I think it is probably significantly cheaper than EFY for the youth and their families.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rchorse said:

Here in Europe, the cost is about 420 € if you're not in one of the participating stakes. Each participating stake covers a portion of the cost for participants, so that the youth or parents only have to pay 90 € out of pocket.

That suggests to me that the participating stake is paying out about 330 €, with the total cost remaining 420 €. Our stake, with assistance from the area office, subsidises FSY participation at roughly this same rate. It's not cheap!

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I hope they shy away from the previous EFY focusing a bit too much on emotion over Spirit.

The amount of crying and tears that were conjured up during most of my experience there...wow..haha

9 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

We've been doing FSY for years. I'm not sure what the cost per youth would be in US dollars, but it might be close to $500. The cost is shared by the family, the ward (through fundraising), the stake and the area office. The event typically occurs at a university or residential college during the holiday period and utilises the otherwise empty residential halls and on-campus catering services. In addition, stakes are responsible for travel costs and arrangements for participants.

The week long EFY at BYU Provo this summer is $525.

I didn’t realize that the FSY conferences had youth staying in college residence halls.  I think that’s great as it gives them the “full EFY experience”.  But it also makes sense, then, that the cost would be in that $500 range. 

7 hours ago, rchorse said:

Here in Europe, the cost is about 420 € if you're not in one of the participating stakes. Each participating stake covers a portion of the cost for participants, so that the youth or parents only have to pay 90 € out of pocket. That's about $105-$110 per youth.

I assume the model is similar elsewhere, so I think it is probably significantly cheaper than EFY for the youth and their families.

6 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

That suggests to me that the participating stake is paying out about 330 €, with the total cost remaining 420 €. Our stake, with assistance from the area office, subsidises FSY participation at roughly this same rate. It's not cheap!

Wow... that’s a lot for the stakes to cover.  Our stake has traditionally only put $50 per youth in towards the cost of summer activities.  I’m not sure how we, as a stake, could afford to pay $300-$400 per youth.  

But I’m confident these details have been worked through prior to rolling this out. 

Thanks for the added info.  I’m excited to hear that they are doing these FSY conferences at college campuses to get the kids out and together for the full five days. 

10 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Am I right to assume that this will replace the annual youth conference? If so, I would bet that the families would be asked to contribute an amount comparable to youth conference and the church would fund the rest in the name of preserving the religion.  Keep the youth strong and the church has a future.  Keep losing youth at the rate we are and the church will struggle. 

Annual youth conference?

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Annual youth conference?

My stake has youth conference every summer.  I assumed every US stake did this? It’s a two day event, sometimes a getaway at a church camp but is mostly just at stake center. 

It used to be that they would do road show one year, dance festival the next, youth conference the next.  Now it’s just youth conference every year.  Maybe that’s just regional. 

Edited by MustardSeed

2 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

The amount of crying and tears that were conjured up during most of my experience there...wow..haha

I try not to judge by that. Some people cry when they feel the Spirit. I did not in the past. Now I do sometimes. The problem is tears can accompany the Spirit but they do not have to and some see people crying and assume the Spirit is touching someone.

16 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

My stake has youth conference every summer.  I assumed every US stake did this? It’s a two day event, sometimes a getaway at a church camp but is mostly just at stake center. 

It used to be that they would do road show one year, dance festival the next, youth conference the next.  Now it’s just youth conference every year.  Maybe that’s just regional. 

My stake (in the US) does a dance festival about every fourth year.  And we do trek about every fourth year.  The other years have separate camps for young men and young women.  Often those camps are at the stake level but sometimes (like this year) they are a ward level.

Does your stake do a youth conference in addition to YW and YM camps?  

30 minutes ago, rockpond said:

My stake (in the US) does a dance festival about every fourth year.  And we do trek about every fourth year.  The other years have separate camps for young men and young women.  Often those camps are at the stake level but sometimes (like this year) they are a ward level.

Yes.  Plus high adventure for priests, and for Laurels. 

• Like 1

It was stated that this is intended to replace Youth Conference for that year.

19 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

The parents in our stake aren’t asked to contribute anything for youth conferences, so maybe the out of pocket for the new program will be little. Guess we’ll see. 

7 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Our area alternates between stake youth conference and ward youth conference every other year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rockpond said:

Ours does. We alternate between ward and stake for those camps as well so when it’s ward girls camp it’s stake youth camp and when it’s stake girls camp it’s ward youth camp. 

20 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Ours does. We alternate between ward and stake for those camps as well so when it’s ward girls camp it’s stake youth camp and when it’s stake girls camp it’s ward youth camp. 

Our wards are pretty small and some wards have very few youth.  The stake youth conference is a pretty well done program here imo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Our wards are pretty small and some wards have very few youth.  The stake youth conference is a pretty well done program here imo

I’ve only been a part of one stake youth conference since we’ve moved here but it seemed good. Three days at a church camp with a giant water slide, lodge, and river tubing (after a day of service around the stake).

But it was my third youth overnight campout in 6 weeks (with girls camp coming up two weeks later) so I wasn’t feeling it all that much myself.  I would have preferred for it to have been shorter and closer to home.

I’m glad your stake youth conferences are well done  I know they can really help kids bond and feel the spirit when they are.