Sign in to follow this  
10THAmendment

Working on Sundays

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

So if he avoided working on Sunday did this mean he made someone else have to work on Sunday? I wish it were 60 years ago when almost nobody had to work on Sundays.

Nope. There really was no reason at all that anyone needed to work on Sunday in that job. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Garner Ted Armstrong strikes again (even though he passed away in 2003).

I probably shouldn't have posted links, since how do I know how true they are, nor do we know everything in the bible to be true.

35 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I probably shouldn't have posted links, since how do I know how true they are, nor do we know everything in the bible to be true.

The problem with that approach is it leaves us with nothing to believe at all.

I'm an emergency physician, and since people don't have the courtesy to avoid illness or injury on Sundays, I work some Sundays.  Since I make the schedule where I work, my Sunday shifts typically start at 7 pm and go to 7 am Monday, so I'm able to go to church and enjoy a good part of the day.  I'll work anywhere from 1 to 3 Sunday nights a month.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

The problem with that approach is it leaves us with nothing to believe at all.

Article of faith #8.

18 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Not according to the following link.

https://www.cgi.org/who-changed-the-sabbath-to-sunday

The Church of God International is an offshoot/branch/twig of the Church of God movement, which is explicitly Sabbatarian. You might say they have an axe to grind on the subject. They also celebrate some of the old Jewish feast days, because they don't believe they were done away with.

I wouldn't consider their explanations doctrinally sound.  But YMMV.

• Like 1

I've mentioned before that in my ward we have 3 police officers who attend... on those days that their schedule requires them to work on Sunday, they attend Church in full uniform, including weapons, and stay long enough to take sacrament and then they leave.  Frankly, I love how they look so tall and imposing in uniform... I actually feel safer having them there... (current Lincoln City Police Chief is LDS and ward member... the previous Chief was also and was our bishop, and I know he still carries concealed).   We have several doctors and nurses who also are subject to schedules requiring some Sunday work.

I think the Church still prefers the mothers to be in the home, but have reconciled to the reality that this is not always possible...

GG

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, Garden Girl said:

I've mentioned before that in my ward we have 3 police officers who attend... on those days that their schedule requires them to work on Sunday, they attend Church in full uniform, including weapons, and stay long enough to take sacrament and then they leave.  Frankly, I love how they look so tall and imposing in uniform... I actually feel safer having them there... (current Lincoln City Police Chief is LDS and ward member... the previous Chief was also and was our bishop, and I know he still carries concealed).   We have several doctors and nurses who also are subject to schedules requiring some Sunday work.

I think the Church still prefers the mothers to be in the home, but have reconciled to the reality that this is not always possible...

GG

I remember the days when serving in Law-enforcement, many Sundays I had to work. Toward the end of that career, I went to work in law-Enforcement of a different kind, and only had to work Sunday’s and Holidays, when something bad happened. Which of course it did from time to time. This was in the form of accident investigations, and arson investigators. Before I went into law-enforcement, there was the military, and flying medivac, doing rescues, of the injured, sometimes flying Veterans home to die, form different VA hospitals. These missions were the most fun, we would be flying all of central and South, Georgia and Alabama to pick up babies who were born prematurely, flying them to children’s hospitals where they could live. 

Once I got out, I went to work with a construction company doing electrical work, I chose a company who’s owners had strong Christian values, so I was never made to work on Sunday’s. One Saturday, we were doing a High Rise Hotel, and my foreman came to me and said, “Bill, we are in a serious bind here, we have a lot of equipment that needs your experience to hook-up. It should not take more than five to eight hours”. So, I told him that I would do it, but I had to leave by 11:30 AM, so I came in 4 hours early, and went to work. I had to leave at 11:30 AM, because our Ward meetings were from 1-3:00PM. Having finished my tasks two hours early, my helper (apprentice) and I began working to light connections to help with it also. We were making hot taps, something very dangerous, and now forbidden by OSHA, but we were young and foolish. When 11:30 AM, rolled around, I  turned the job over to another electrician, and my apprentice, and warned them not to do hot tapes in the Fire-Pump room, because of all the grounded water-lines. So, I departed for Church, but my foreman talked them into working the taps hot, because employees for the Hotel were training on the computers on the other side of the wall. So, by the time I arrived home to get ready for Church, the phone was ringing to let me know the electrician was dead. This was Sunday 1985, just before Thanksgiving Day. This worker left a wife and two children behind. He is now a grandfather, and all his children know is a picture, and his grandchildren know little of him. I am not saying Church saved me, but doing the right thing, and being in the right place did save me. I was in my 20’s and like most 20 year olds, I thought I was indestructible. I also knowing the higher risk, I would have opted to do it myself. Six months later, I meet my apprentice on another job site, and he was training as a carpenter’s mate. He told me, I will never work with Electricity again, because when the Electrician died so fast, he landed at my apprentice’s feet, and he was doing CPR, while screaming for help. Sadly this was before OSHA and other safety boards now require D-Fib equipment on every job site.