Sign in to follow this  
Dan McClellan

Why Bible Typography Matters

14 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

(Haven't listened to the video yet - at work)

What typeface does the Church use for their scriptures? I've heard some suggest it is Linotype Monticello but I don't think that's correct.

Unfortunately the LDS Gospel Library doesn't give a choice of what font the scriptures are in.  That's particularly glaring in that one can now easily add fonts. I'm a big Garamond fan myself.

Even if the Church never changes translations (although as I've long argued the NKJV is a great middle ground that improves the biggest problems with hte KJV) I do hope that they move away from verse formatting and have an option to do the poetry structurally presented.

It used to be a proprietary typeface that, if I recall, was closely related to Palatino. The 2013 edition may have switched to a different typeface, though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Traela said:

The Kindle app has OpenDyslexic as a font option.  It gives a very different look to the scriptures. 

Hm, I can't really picture that text in that kind of font...It would look interesting, I suppose!

On 7/22/2019 at 9:46 AM, The Nehor said:

How does it look in Wingdings?

Probably like EVERYTHING looks in Wingdings! A bunch of random symbols... 

Just waiting to see someone format the entire Bible (or Book of Mormon) in Papyrus font. Surely that would be a harbinger of the end of days...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caspianrex said:

Probably like EVERYTHING looks in Wingdings! A bunch of random symbols... 

Just waiting to see someone format the entire Bible (or Book of Mormon) in Papyrus font. Surely that would be a harbinger of the end of days...

papyrus.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

papyrus.png

@The Nehor, that quite literally made me LOL. Thanks for brightening my day with that cartoon.

• Like 2

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This video about the creation of Thomas Nelson/Zondervan's Comfort Print typeface is pretty interesting as well: 

Edited by caspianrex