Seriously No Politics ×

Early Returning Missionaries

4 minutes ago, thatjimguy said:

The key word here is "some". 

I am sure there are kids that are great. Never said that there weren't. And these are the kids that should be going. Not the others on the fence or who are doing it only because of pressure. Those numbers are not small. 

You're responding here to a post I made weeks ago, but as I recall, my point was to disagree that the age of eligibility for missionary service should be raised back to 19. I object to that proposal because it would unfairly impact those who are ready and mature enough at 18 to make fine missionaries. My intuition is that they comprise the vast majority of those who depart at that age. 

So the logical solution, in my view, is not to fuss around with the age of eligibility, but rather, to impress upon the minds of everyone that embarking on a mission at 18 is an option, never a requirement. 

If too many are leaving before they are prepared, then zero in on that problem and find a solution. Don't use a bazooka to kill a mosquito.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

So the logical solution, in my view, is not to fuss around with the age of eligibility, but rather, to impress upon the minds of everyone that embarking on a mission at 18 is an option, never a requirement. 

Exactly. Two weeks ago, the stake president and I visited a family in our stake with two sons, ages 18 and 19. The 18 year old is preparing to submit a mission application. The 19 year old is thinking about it someday. Not a single person is fussed about this; it is just as it should be.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan