Seriously No Politics ×

More changes to BYU Honor Code office

BYU announced more changes to the Honor Code administration and enforcement office.  https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/07/10/byu-makes-more-changes/ 

• Good faith statement • Students will be presumed to NOT be in violation of an Honor Code policy unless they either accept responsibility or the investigation process makes such a determination.

• Support person • Students have the option to choose someone such as a friend, faculty or staff member to accompany them in meetings with the Honor Code Office. In response to feedback from students, the Honor Code Office website now details the process of bringing such a support person.

Appeals • Students have a right to appeal a decision if they feel it was not reasonably supported by facts, the action was too harsh, the office was biased, or new information is available that may change the findings. Utt said that while a path to appeal an Honor Code Office action has been in place, awareness of the process was low.

• Employee title change • To reflect their role as student conduct professionals, not therapists, staffers will now be called Honor Code Office administrators and not counselors.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900079012/byu-honor-code-changes.html

"I have taken seriously the charge to review each facet of Honor Code process," he said. "The feedback from the students has been an essential component to this process, as it has provided a comprehensive perspective on the realities and perceptions of the Honor Code and the Honor Code Office. We will continue to communicate updates as they are rolled out so that students know what to expect as they arrive on campus for the fall semester."

4 hours ago, bsjkki said:

• Support person • Students have the option to choose someone such as a friend, faculty or staff member to accompany them in meetings with the Honor Code Office. In response to feedback from students, the Honor Code Office website now details the process of bringing such a support person.

"Students have the option to choose someone such as a friend, faculty or staff member to accompany them in meetings with the Honor Code Office. In response to feedback from students, the Honor Code Office website now details the process of bringing such a support person."

Excellent.  Finally, someone has his head on straight.

38 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

As a tangent can I just say how much that photo the Trib keeps using bugs me? It's clearly picked purely because it's attractive women with no care that the women in question aren't Mormon and one posts regularly on anti-Mormon reddit. It reflects both the sensationalist and sexist nature of news and the corresponding lack of concern with context.

To the changes they seem like good ideas long overdue.

I linked to both articles because I find it interesting to see two different takes on the same story.

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I linked to both articles because I find it interesting to see two different takes on the same story.

Oh hope I didn't come off as criticizing you. This is a long standing disgruntlement with the Trib I have. In the same way you can count on ABC4 to sensationalize some app or social media because pedophiles *might* use it to entice kids. This sensationalizing aspect of the media is increasing as their business model collapses and they are more and more desparate for clicks. People typically point to political bias but 90% of the time the political bias is less that than figuring a way to drive sensationalism. It plays on sex, fear, and making use of existing stereotyped narratives.

In this case my criticism isn't of the reporter but the editor. I actually like the SL Trib story which is much broader and more in depth than the DesNews one.

Edited by clarkgoble
52 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

Oh hope I didn't come off as criticizing you. This is a long standing disgruntlement with the Trib I have. In the same way you can count on ABC4 to sensationalize some app or social media because pedophiles *might* use it to entice kids. This sensationalizing aspect of the media is increasing as their business model collapses and they are more and more desparate for clicks. People typically point to political bias but 90% of the time the political bias is less that than figuring a way to drive sensationalism. It plays on sex, fear, and making use of existing stereotyped narratives.

In this case my criticism isn't of the reporter but the editor. I actually like the SL Trib story which is much broader and more in depth than the DesNews one.

I didn't take it personally. Media bias in photos, captions and headlines and content is always an interesting topic.

I have to admit I kind of rolled my eyes when I heard about the protests, but holy cow, if these are the "improvements", I seriously overestimated the wisdom with which the policies had been created and enforced over the last 50 years.

I guess the first clue should have been when they brought in Wolfgang Schwanitz as a consultant in the early 1990s and he told them their protocols were too extreme for him to work with them in good conscience.

Edited by cinepro