Seriously No Politics ×

Lowering age for interviews from 12 to 8

JAHS

LDS Church considering lowering age for youth interviews with clergy to 8, survey says

A survey commissioned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints inquires about lowering the age of youth interviews with clergy from age 12 to eight.

The Church has come under national scrutiny recently with headlines about children being asked sexually explicit questions, with some cases of abuse.

One member, Talia Draper of Herriman, posted photos of the survey in a private Facebook group and gave 2News permission to publish them.

Draper, who considers herself an "inactive member of the LDS Church," was shocked when she opened up the survey, telling 2News:

"Frankly, my mouth dropped wide open as I read the words The Church is considering having Primary children ages 8 to 11 receive periodic individual interviews, similar to the current practice of interviewing young men and young women.' Considering that many (if not all) of the Church's highest-ranking leaders (thanks to Sam Young) are personally aware of the abuse that a large number of people have suffered at the hands of some of its leaders during these one-on-one interviews, it absolutely baffles me that they would be considering beginning these interviews at even younger ages. I was genuinely hopeful that the LDS church was moving towards changing the practice of conducting these interviews and this just feels like a giant slap in the face. I cannot fathom how they do not see the potential for grooming and abuse with this practice. I just cannot understand it."

The questions:

If the Church were to do interviews with 8-11 year old children, who would you prefer conduct those interviews?

The bishop
A counselor in the bishopric
Either the bishop or a counselor
A member of the Primary presidency
A member of the Young Mens or Young Womens presidency

Aside from the interviewer and child, who else would you prefer to be present in an interview with your Primary child? (Mark all that apply)

No one else
Myself
My spouse
A bishopric member
A primary leader

Are you aware of the new Church policy allowing parents to sit in on youth interviews with members of the bishopric?

Yes
No

What are your preferences regarding the following topics that could be covered in an interview with your Primary child? (The survey gives three options for each topic: Prefer this be discussed, no preference, prefer this NOT be discussed)

Challenges in their life
Positive things in their life
Their spiritual development
Progress towards youth achievements (e.g. progress in the new youth program)
Their relationships with family members
Worthiness

One purpose of the current bishopric youth interviews is to help youth establish a trusting relationship with a priesthood holder. If the Church were to do interviews with 8 to 11-year-old Primary children, how important would it be to you that your child establish a trusting relationship with a priesthood holder?

Not at all important
Slightly important
Moderately important
Very important
Extremely important

Overall, are you in favor of or opposed to the proposal to do interviews with children ages 8 to 11? (This question has a sliding scale that respondents can slide between the following three options)

Very much opposed
Neutral
Very much in favor
The last question was open for user feedback.

This is just a survey and it does ask about who you would prefer do the interview and if a parent should be with the child during the interview, so I am not sure why anyone would be upset about the survey.

Edited to add:  What are your answers to the questions? 

Edited by JAHS
21 minutes ago, Maidservant said:

On the other hand, it could be considered odd that Jesus cannot answer these questions by revelation, but the body of the Church needs to be asked.  I think it's good to be asked.

I agree, it's good for the member and it give the Bishop the opportunity to get to know the kids better and teach them. It's not just about asking questions. 

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Agreed, we should pull all children out of their homes and have them raised in communal living facilities with lots of adults to watch over each other. After all, abuse is most likely to come from within the family.

Because "it takes a whole village to raise a child", right? 🙄           Well, maybe in Africa it does. 

There are individuals who whether children or adult will never be able to recognize predatory behavior and react appropriately, especially if they aren’t given a chance to be exposed to appropriate behavior. 

Answers:

The Bishop (I'm a Primary President and in no way feel qualified to do these interviews), Myself and my spouse, yes, progress toward youth achievements, slightly important (don't really trust leaders with my kids), very much opposed. 

But, I'm a mom with some very bad "Bishop" baggage so...trust once lost is hard to regain. I think we should have less interviews.

I just talked with a very faithful and obedient cousin. She described her Stake President's temple recommend interviews as uncomfortable. I have had a couple of female, very active, temple worker friends also describe their recommend interviews as uncomfortable. All expressed negative feelings upon leaving their interview. They expressed feelings of being made to feel they weren't good enough or that the Stake presidency member made them feel like they were searching their demeanor to see if they were not being truthful. All were very honest, and faithful members. It only takes one bad interview to make a person not look forward to any others. Interview skills are too varied. I would not trust people with my young children. Eight is young. 

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Answers:

The Bishop (I'm a Primary President and in no way feel qualified to do these interviews), Myself and my spouse, yes, progress toward youth achievements, slightly important (don't really trust leaders with my kids), very much opposed. 

But, I'm a mom with some very bad "Bishop" baggage so...trust once lost is hard to regain. I think we should have less interviews.

I just talked with a very faithful and obedient cousin. She described her Stake President's temple recommend interviews as uncomfortable. I have had a couple of female, very active, temple worker friends also describe their recommend interviews as uncomfortable. All expressed negative feelings upon leaving their interview. They expressed feelings of being made to feel they weren't good enough or that the Stake presidency member made them feel like they were searching their demeanor to see if they were not being truthful. All were very honest, and faithful members. It only takes one bad interview to make a person not look forward to any others. Interview skills are too varied. I would not trust people with my young children. Eight is young. 

That's too bad they had those experiences. Most of mine have been simple ask the question - give the answer situations and no discomfort at all unless I personally was unsure of my answer. But then that is my fault, not the interviewer's.  They already have 8 year old baptism interviews. Should they discontinue those?

3 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

Let me get this straight, an inactive member is concerned about an organization (s)he no longer cares about? Why? How much of a complete whiner do you have to be to complain about something you don't care about?  Get that woman a life!

You can be charitably concerned about possible harm done to others even if one isn’t exposed to it yourself, IMO. 

45 minutes ago, Calm said:

You can be charitably concerned about possible harm done to others even if one isn’t exposed to it yourself, IMO. 

I appreciate that most of the time you project a positive approach to those who find fault or to criticize the Church. However, I tend to place myself in the situation and ask what I would do?  For example, though I have closely followed the sexual abuse problems within the Catholic Church, I would never write a letter stating that I am a non-member and that I am flummoxed at the actions of the Pope or some of the archbishops lack of inaction or completely ignoring the problem. It would never occur to me to take that position. 

I guess I may also be a more negative person than you also. I try to understand what motivates people to take a certain action. Why would someone spend their time, emotions, and energy on a specific cause when they are not related. For me, "Something is rotten in the state Denmark!" 

45 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

would never write a letter stating that I am a non-member and that I am flummoxed at the actions of the Pope or some of the archbishops lack of inaction or completely ignoring the problem. It would never occur to me to take that position. 

But she didn’t go digging for dirt. Or make a comment out of the blue, she was sent a survey. 

I think it is rather tacky to go to the news about it, but submitting a survey sent to her only makes sense, IMO. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

I appreciate that most of the time you project a positive approach to those who find fault or to criticize the Church. However, I tend to place myself in the situation and ask what I would do?  For example, though I have closely followed the sexual abuse problems within the Catholic Church, I would never write a letter stating that I am a non-member and that I am flummoxed at the actions of the Pope or some of the archbishops lack of inaction or completely ignoring the problem. It would never occur to me to take that position. 

I guess I may also be a more negative person than you also. I try to understand what motivates people to take a certain action. Why would someone spend their time, emotions, and energy on a specific cause when they are not related. For me, "Something is rotten in the state Denmark!" 

I think everyone and their dog should protest about the priests and the pope or leaders, letting known perpetrators go onto abusing other youth in another town/parish. 

8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I think everyone and their dog should protest about the priests and the pope or leaders, letting known perpetrators go onto abusing other youth in another town/parish. 

There was a saying I heard recently that made me laugh, "Not my monkeys and not my zoo." It helped me to understand that I did not need to worry about things over which I have no control. I could talk a good deal about how this atrocious problem in the Catholic Church is and how impossible it would be for the Holy Spirit to reside where this type of abuse is taking place. 

Calm's comment above is valid, IF I was asked about it then I might say something depending upon the type of question it was and what I thought the motivation of the individual was. But, to go out and protest another church....not my monkeys and not my zoo. 

9 hours ago, Calm said:

But she didn’t go digging for dirt. Or make a comment out of the blue, she was sent a survey. 

I think it is rather tacky to go to the news about it, but submitting a survey sent to her only makes sense, IMO. 

I agree that if a survey was sent to her, then I can understand a response. It is the part about going to the news that sets me off. 

On 7/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, JAHS said:

Because "it takes a whole village to raise a child", right? 🙄           Well, maybe in Africa it does. 

The most successful child-rearing in America was traditionally the town, neighborhood, church-synagogue, and school.  That's where children met their friends, teachers, religious leaders, police, and community leaders.  Think Mayberry RFD.  Everybody was on a first-name basis, and even pet dogs, cats, horses, etc., were part of the community.,  People looked after one another.  There were cub scouts, girl scouts, boy scouts, and explorers.  When it came time, kids went off to missions, college, or the armed forces.  If they had been well-prepared, they handled the inevitable difficulties pretty well, and they returned more mature and more able, eventually forming their own families and taking over heavy responsibilities, as their predecessors retired and died off.  

The continuing cycle has some important points in it.  When a kid goes to school for the first time.  When the kid sits down with his bishop to talk about baptism, and maybe be challenged to memorize some Articles of Faith.  When the kid is interviewed about receiving the priesthood.  When the young man or woman is interviewed about serving a mission.  When a couple is interviewed about temple marriage.  Not everyone makes it through these hurdles unscathed, but hopefully everyone learns a lesson or two along the way.

It really does take a village.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:45 AM, JAHS said:

LDS Church considering lowering age for youth interviews with clergy to 8, survey says

A survey commissioned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints inquires about lowering the age of youth interviews with clergy from age 12 to eight.

The Church has come under national scrutiny recently with headlines about children being asked sexually explicit questions, with some cases of abuse.

One member, Talia Draper of Herriman, posted photos of the survey in a private Facebook group and gave 2News permission to publish them.

Draper, who considers herself an "inactive member of the LDS Church," was shocked when she opened up the survey, telling 2News:

"Frankly, my mouth dropped wide open as I read the words The Church is considering having Primary children ages 8 to 11 receive periodic individual interviews, similar to the current practice of interviewing young men and young women.' Considering that many (if not all) of the Church's highest-ranking leaders (thanks to Sam Young) are personally aware of the abuse that a large number of people have suffered at the hands of some of its leaders during these one-on-one interviews, it absolutely baffles me that they would be considering beginning these interviews at even younger ages. I was genuinely hopeful that the LDS church was moving towards changing the practice of conducting these interviews and this just feels like a giant slap in the face. I cannot fathom how they do not see the potential for grooming and abuse with this practice. I just cannot understand it."...............................

I don't understand her problem.  Why shouldn't she think a survey is called for?  You'd think she would want one.

• 2 weeks later...