Sign in to follow this  
MustardSeed

What media limits do you place on yourself?

47 minutes ago, changed said:

We use VidAngel → there are several services like this, they work well.  

Is that still a thing?  I thought they were found to have violated copyright laws in the law suit.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I am not a parent but I have been told that the most important thing you can do is to never need sleep again.

😂🤣 Well I haven’t slept in 5 years so I am doing good on that!! 

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I cannot hear the phrase “the eff word” without giggling or at least suppressing a giggle and now I want to tell the story and I apologize for the derail.

When I was at a YSA Ward years ago I was at a YSA dance. We had a very straitlaced and good Stake President. We knew he and both his counselors would be there so we set up a plan to scare them..

Between songs when they were all in the cultural hall one of the tallest and most stereotypically masculine athlete guys got up and in a very effeminate voice called out loudly: “I don’t hear the eff word!!!!” The Stake president’s eyes went wide as we waited several seconds.

Everyone threw a limp wrist up and gave a dramatic and drawn out “fah-bu-lous”. We then all grabbed someone of the same gender and went in as if we were going to kiss. Someone videoed him and his counselors with their eyes almost bugging out. I wish I had gotten a copy.

I realize that prank probably falls under unkind mockery of others, possibly cultural appropriation, and almost certainly bad taste but it was one of the most hilarious moments of my life. In fairness it was also almost 20 years ago and we were dumb kids. It also had a positive impact on one girl in our ward who was attracted to other girls. She said later that experience helped her feel like we would not all reject her if we “found out”. She came out and tried to stay chaste but transferred to another school a year later. No idea what happened to her. I hope she found peace and happiness.

It also saved me from an awkward situation as I was planning to ask her out before that. Instead I started dating another friend who then abruptly decided she was going on a mission....the LDS equivalent of “after dating you I have decided I want to be a nun”. Ouch. I wrote her her whole mission but she came home and married my best friend. We are all still close so it worked out. :) 

Sorry, end of derail.

I think the church could always use incidences like this! I remember some great ward Christmas parties in the past, such as talent shows, skits etc. One that my husband and I still laugh about to this day is when our bishop and one of his counselors came out as a donkey kicking up his heals etc. and what was said, much funnier if you'd been there. Now the ward Christmas parties of old have gave way to being only the spiritual kind. Which is fine, but sometimes life needs to have some mischievous times as well. 

Posted (edited)

I say to my Self, Self what do you think about watching this?  I really don't think he belongs to me so I don't call Him MY Self.   He's a pretty independent guy and does what he wants anyway.

I let Self decide.   He really doesn't put any limits on me, I just pretty much do what he says in the moment.  He's gotten me this far, such as it is but I have found that arguing with Him doesn't work either, even if He is wrong.

I mean who else do I have to discuss these things with?

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I think the church could always use incidences like this! I remember some great ward Christmas parties in the past, such as talent shows, skits etc. One that my husband and I still laugh about to this day is when our bishop and one of his counselors came out as a donkey kicking up his heals etc. and what was said, much funnier if you'd been there. Now the ward Christmas parties of old have gave way to being only the spiritual kind. Which is fine, but sometimes life needs to have some mischievous times as well. 

The previous danger was that many structured their social lives exclusively around church and we need to be out in the community more. They curtailed a lot of more expensive activities to fund more temples and to get more chapels up overseas in areas that contribute less then they cost. A worthy trade off but I miss some of the stuff we lost.

• Like 1

I don't own a television and never have. I guess that's something of a media limit?

I probably average one visit to a cinema per year. Some years it might be three, followed by several years of none. It all depends on what is showing. I hate spending $20 and two hours feeling like I would have made a much better movie.

We don't share the US's rating system. I think ours makes more sense. I do use it, but I don't rely on it.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

With so many people cutting out cable and moving to streaming and Netflix, our culture is changing here in the US.  

It seems to me that the eff word is more and more common, which certainly can serve to reduce its offensiveness.  Other words now replace it as the bad ones. But in the past, a certain number of eff words gave a movie an R rating.  Now, most of the Netflix shows I endeavor to try end up qualifying for an R rating. 

When I was younger, I’d just as soon see an R rated movie as steal something.  Today, I feel rather unaffected by language.  I’m uncomfortable with nudity and I hate violence but avoiding either is not easy with modern programming. 

My point is, it’s been a very long time since I have heard discussions on 1. R ratings and 2. Skirt length.  I’m very very glad not to hear these tired (imo) Sunday school lectures any more, I like to implement principles like a grown up. 

I am curious- do more people see R movies than is admitted? Are you comfortable watching R ratings or unrated equivalents in the privacy of your home? 

If you don’t watch R movies or the equivalent, have you ever made an exception and why?

Back in the day I felt entirely fine about watching Schindler’s List. 

Today, I’m in the middle of watching Yellowstone, an Amazon series.  I love it.  That said, it’s pretty inappropriate by Godly standards.  But it’s a sin I’m willing to commit. Great acting and scenery and music.  I’m enthralled.  I love a good series. 

But im unwilling to watch other shows with equal amounts of profanity and violence.  

I’m rambling...

A sin I am willing to commit? No. You can't say that. Say it isn't a sin. No. Defend it. Defend it. Defend it. I think you clearly show that you have a desire to follow godly precepts. Defend what you do as being appropriate. If you truly think it is a sin, however slight, don't do it. I like you Mustard Seed. I am not judging. There is great value in some nude art for persons who have practised a custody of the eyes. Others are unable to view it without it causing impure thoughts. Surely there is similar value in what you are watching. Maybe it would be a danger, an occasion of sin for others but not you. There is this artsy movie, with a very young Al Pacino and old Burt Lancaster, an Italian production called 1900. It is about political upheavals in Italian society at the turn of the 20the Century. I didn't look away at all of the nudity. If I ever watch again I will. But I had a clear conscience because that was not why I was watching it. I think this is similar to this Yellowstone thing for you. You are just talking about either subject matter that is questionable at some level, or visual images that you wish weren't there. Surely that is not WHY you watch. But if it is at any level sinful, you have to stop. Let the world explode, if it means committing the slightest sin on purpose to save it from blowing up.

Please don't be offended. God love you. Surely it is not necessarily a sin to watch this show for proper reasons and a disposition to avoid bad ideology and immoral imagery.

Edited by 3DOP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3DOP said:

A sin I am willing to commit? No. You can't say that. Say it isn't a sin. No. Defend it. Defend it. Defend it. I think you clearly show that you have a desire to follow godly precepts. Defend what you do as being appropriate. If you truly think it is a sin, however slight, don't do it. I like you Mustard Seed. I am not judging. There is great value in some nude art for persons who have practised a custody of the eyes. Others are unable to view it without it causing impure thoughts. Surely there is similar value in what you are watching. Maybe it would be a danger, an occasion of sin for others but not you. There is this artsy movie, with a very young Al Pacino and old Burt Lancaster, an Italian production called 1900. It is about political upheavals in Italian society at the turn of the 20the Century. I didn't look away at all of the nudity. If I ever watch again I will. But I had a clear conscience because that was not why I was watching it. I think this is similar to this Yellowstone thing for you. You are just talking about either subject matter that is questionable at some level, or visual images that you wish weren't there. Surely that is not WHY you watch. But if it is at any level sinful, you have to stop. Let the world explode, if it means committing the slightest sin on purpose to save it from blowing up.

Please don't be offended. God love you. Surely it is not necessarily a sin to watch this show for proper reasons and a disposition to avoid bad ideology and immoral imagery.

Interesting!  I like your approach here. 

Well right now I’m boring myself to tears with the Lorena Bobbit story. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Well right now I’m boring myself to tears with the Lorena Bobbit story. 

Do something!

23 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Do something!

Lol I am!  Tiling my pantry floor and organizing a couples getaway .  Multi tasking is my forte. 

Just now, MustardSeed said:

Lol I am!  Tiling my pantry floor and organizing a couples getaway .  Multi tasking is my forte. 

Well, that makes me feel better. But why are you willing to 'bore yourself to tears' as one of your tasks???

22 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

With so many people cutting out cable and moving to streaming and Netflix, our culture is changing here in the US.  

It seems to me that the eff word is more and more common, which certainly can serve to reduce its offensiveness.  Other words now replace it as the bad ones. But in the past, a certain number of eff words gave a movie an R rating.  Now, most of the Netflix shows I endeavor to try end up qualifying for an R rating. 

When I was younger, I’d just as soon see an R rated movie as steal something.  Today, I feel rather unaffected by language.  I’m uncomfortable with nudity and I hate violence but avoiding either is not easy with modern programming. 

My point is, it’s been a very long time since I have heard discussions on 1. R ratings and 2. Skirt length.  I’m very very glad not to hear these tired (imo) Sunday school lectures any more, I like to implement principles like a grown up. 

I am curious- do more people see R movies than is admitted? Are you comfortable watching R ratings or unrated equivalents in the privacy of your home? 

If you don’t watch R movies or the equivalent, have you ever made an exception and why?

Back in the day I felt entirely fine about watching Schindler’s List. 

Today, I’m in the middle of watching Yellowstone, an Amazon series.  I love it.  That said, it’s pretty inappropriate by Godly standards.  But it’s a sin I’m willing to commit. Great acting and scenery and music.  I’m enthralled.  I love a good series. 

But im unwilling to watch other shows with equal amounts of profanity and violence.  

I’m rambling...

I think a good rule of thumb is to invite and receive the companionship of the Holy Ghost in whatever we do, without compartmentalizing the areas of life in which He is welcome. Easier said than done! :)

But mostly I'm too busy to watch more than a movie or two over a weekend, assuming i can find something that catches my interest. I'm not a fan of series because they require too much commitment, and no matter how well-produced, become caricatures of themselves after a couple of seasons, so I quickly lose interest.

I've subscribed to a filtering service to remove several types of R-rated offenses and PG-13 (just language) from streamed material. Someday I will probably just give that up as well and stick with only wholesome entertainment through media other than "film," especially as it takes on more "VR" qualities.

16 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I think a good rule of thumb is to invite and receive the companionship of the Holy Ghost in whatever we do, without compartmentalizing the areas of life in which He is welcome. Easier said than done! :)

But mostly I'm too busy to watch more than a movie or two over a weekend, assuming i can find something that catches my interest. I'm not a fan of series because they require too much commitment, and no matter how well-produced, become caricatures of themselves after a couple of seasons, so I quickly lose interest.

I've subscribed to a filtering service to remove several types of R-rated offenses and PG-13 (just language) from streamed material. Someday I will probably just give that up as well and stick with only wholesome entertainment through media other than "film," especially as it takes on more "VR" qualities.

Please tell me more about the filtering service if you will

9 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Well, that makes me feel better. But why are you willing to 'bore yourself to tears' as one of your tasks???

Lol-indeed.  

20 hours ago, pogi said:

Is that still a thing?  I thought they were found to have violated copyright laws in the law suit.

It is a great thing, and we are currently using it.  You can set what you want removed for each movie - it has written descriptions of what is in questionable scenes, and you go through and click what you want to keep or get rid of - it is all classified by language/violence/sex etc.  You can watch all of the R-rated movies you want ... without any of the "R" stuff :)

I think there are several different services that do this.

23 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I probably have some sort of empathy deficit, but violence has never really bothered me. Excessive blood, gore, and torture are not my cup of tea, but if you're just killin' bad guys then sure, I can watch that all day long. I remember one year, over Thanksgiving, some channel did 24-hours of Eastwood (all the spaghetti westerns, dirty harry, etc.); man, that was a good day. :) 

When it comes to language, I can put up with swearing to a point. I've never bothered to try and make a rule for 'number of f-bombs' or anything like that, but there's just a point where too much is too much. However, I have a fairly low tolerance when it comes to taking the Lord’s name in vein; it usually doesn’t take more than a couple of those for me to turn off a show / walk out of a theater. 

Nudity is probably the biggest red-flag for me personally. Technically, I can accept nudity when it is genuinely artistic in nature; unfortunately, that's not why nudity ends up being included in most television programming and mainstream films these days. 

I am curious- do more people see R movies than is admitted?

Possibly. While I don't personally try to hide the fact that I enjoy the occasional R-rated film (Hacksaw Ridge is a somewhat recent example), I don't go out of my way to bring it up in casual conversation either.

I know people have different standards when it comes to media, and I think it's important to be respectful of that. 

Are you comfortable watching R ratings or unrated equivalents in the privacy of your home?

I don't purchase any physical media - books, CD's, movies, etc. - that I won't allow my children to consume at some point while they are living under our roof. 

I would have to double-check to be sure, but off the top of my head I think the edgiest show we've got in our library would have to be Firefly. There were a couple of episodes with racy scenes, but it was all within the PG-13 realm; plus, neither of my kids are into sci-fi, so I'm not too worried about it. 

I am personally comfortable watching more mature programming after the kids go to bed. However, I would say that most of the shows I currently enjoy are more in the PG-13 (e.g., Better Call Saul, Cobra Kai) to 'hard' PG-13 range (e.g., The Magicians, The Expanse, Atlanta) rather than R / unrated. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Please tell me more about the filtering service if you will

Sent you a PM so as not to appear to advertise a for-profit business...