Seriously No Politics ×

What motivates you to live the WOW?

16 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Whole Foods sells root beer? I thought their thing was health food. 

Health food stores often have more ‘exotic’ sodas along with candies and such. 

16 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am pretty sure that is the pill my college roommate gave me after I had been up for two days straight and needed to be up for 12 more hours.

How much longer were you actually awake, three or four days?

"Meh, I'll sleep next week!" :blink::crazy:

7 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Whole Foods sells root beer? I thought their thing was health food. 

They're more of a specialty store, but historically most of their specialty items have been things like organic foods, gluten-free food, vegan baked goods*, etc. 

They were recently bought out by Amazon, so I expect to see some changes in the future, but so far the root beer selection has (thankfully) remained the same. 

*Yes, pastries made without butter taste about as gross as you are thinking.

3 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

How much longer were you actually awake, three or four days?

"Meh, I'll sleep next week!" :blink::crazy:

That was the longest I was ever awake. Almost 36 hours. Not really completely consecutive. I did get a 5 minute nap. I was hallucinating by the end. Looked across the college lecture hall and saw a little green goblin on the other side diligently taking notes. I knew it was a hallucination when I saw it so no real trouble but I crashed hard once whatever my rooommate gave me wore off. He said it was a caffeine pill but I have my doubts. He was from El Paso and had some strange stuff.

I do not think I could do that today.

Edited by The Nehor
2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Where's ERMD when you need him! :huh::unknw:

That's ok

I am not a real cardiologist but I play one on the internet

8 minutes ago, Amulek said:

They're more of a specialty store, but historically most of their specialty items have been things like organic foods, gluten-free food, vegan baked goods*, etc. 

They were recently bought out by Amazon, so I expect to see some changes in the future, but so far the root beer selection has (thankfully) remained the same. 

I just don’t ever think of root beer as being “organic” or otherwise belonging to the category of things you list here. It strikes me as an indulgence, not the sort of thing I’d go shopping at Whole Foods for. 

But then, I’ve never been to Whole Foods and don’t ever anticipate going. We had one just down the street from my house, but it closed for lack of patronage. 

And I don’t know what I find less appealing, pastries without butter or pastries without gluten. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
5 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Almost 36 hours

That’s almost a typical day for me, lol (but most is in bed being less functional so it is pretty easy). Longest awake was 3 days iirc. That was before I got on the good stuff. It was back in the 90s when I spent way more time out of bed than in it too so may have even been before I had the bad stuff. 

6 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

That's ok

I am not a real cardiologist but I play one on the internet

I know.  I'm not a lawyer ... I just play one here at MD&DB. :rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am pretty sure that is the pill my college roommate gave me after I had been up for two days straight and needed to be up for 12 more hours.

Nah, much worse

Ever heard the Grateful Dead song talking about "weed whites and wine"?

You probably got a couple standard amphetamine tablets- "whites".  When driving long distances that's the standard for truck drivers. But like the song says they often moderated it with a little wine or some weed to knock the edge off the high

That's what you were missing

Sounds to me like what this guy took was a teaspoon of pure caffeine powder not moderated or cut with anything else.

5 GRAMS at least. Standard No-Doz is like 200 MILIGRAMS, equal to 2 or so cups of coffee. Amphetamines are much stronger, but not that strong 

Take it from a Certified Former Hippie

;)

18 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Nah, much worse

Ever heard the Grateful Dead song talking about "weed whites and wine"?

You probably got a couple standard amphetamine tablets- "whites".  When driving long distances that's the standard for truck drivers. But like the song says they often moderated it with a little wine or some weed to knock the edge off the high

That's what you were missing

Sounds to me like what this guy took was a teaspoon of pure caffeine powder not moderated or cut with anything else.

5 GRAMS at least. Standard No-Doz is like 200 MILIGRAMS, equal to 2 or so cups of coffee. Amphetamines are much stronger, but not that strong 

Take it from a Certified Former Hippie

;)

Don’t think so unless the amphetamine was crushed up and then put in a gel capsule. If I remember right the stuff inside was brown and not white. I wonder if he is still in my phone contacts. I should text him and ask what it was. He said it was caffeine but if so it was a LOT. Shaking when it started to wear off. Luckily I made it home before I crashed.

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

... Take it from a Certified Former Hippie

;)

Do you have any pictures of yourself from the '70s, Mark?  I'll bet they're ...

Groovy, Dude! ;):DB:)

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Don’t think so unless the amphetamine was crushed up and then put in a gel capsule. If I remember right the stuff inside was brown and not white. I wonder if he is still in my phone contacts. I should text him and ask what it was. He said it was caffeine but if so it was a LOT. Shaking when it started to wear off. Luckily I made it home before I crashed.

Just look at all the "fun" you have missed, being LDS. Hangovers, hallucinations, bloody vomit, gosh what kind of boring life is that? ;)

24 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Do you have any pictures of yourself from the '70s, Mark?  I'll bet they're ...

Groovy, Dude! ;):DB:)

There are some things you cannot unsee.... ;)

36 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Just look at all the "fun" you have missed, being LDS. Hangovers, hallucinations, bloody vomit, gosh what kind of boring life is that? ;)

I know and the temptation is real but I am told it is worth it. In heaven there are superior hangovers, much more vivid hallucinations, and vomit filled with the more potent spiritual substance that will replace blood. I can wait for the better reward.

Edited by The Nehor
3 hours ago, Amulek said:

My son is gluten free. Lots of gluten free stuff are dairy and egg free. It's like cardboard.  I have found a few brands that are good. Butter makes everything better as far as baking goes.

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I just don’t ever think of root beer as being “organic” or otherwise belonging to the category of things you list here. It strikes me as an indulgence, not the sort of thing I’d go shopping at Whole Foods for. 

But then, I’ve never been to Whole Foods and don’t ever anticipate going. We had one just down the street from my house, but it closed for lack of patronage. 

And I don’t know what I find less appealing, pastries without butter or pastries without gluten. 

I make killer gluten free cakes, brownies and cookies. Just don't ask how much butter, mayo and/or oil are in them. haha.  Good thing the kid is all muscle can use some fat!! 

Having joined the Church at the age of 36, I have done lots of things not sanctioned by the Church - anything that was legal and a few things that were not.

I follow the WoW because I covenanted to do so, however if I were to leave the Church today, I would probably go back to being a social drinker - I admit I miss it. I use to drink maybe 3 or 4 times a year except I did have a (one) glass of wine with dinner at least a couple times a month.

Coffee - Never - can't stand the taste and never cared for tea.

Smoking - I quit 7 years before joining and would never ever start again

Marijuana - Would be an alternative to pain pills which since I have an issue with chronic pain would be a consideration

On 7/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, The Nehor said:

They are very good at catching card counters now and can ask you to leave if they even suspect it including if your bet size suddenly increases because you have been card counting. This has led to a lot of strategies to hide the move. The most common method I know of is you get a couple of people who card count to go to various tables. When the deck is “good” you make a subtle signal and have a friend join you and they come in and bet big.

I know way too much about gambling.....

When I was winning all the chips in that practice game I was playing long time ago, all I did was bet conservatively according to the cards I had.  I knew that the House had to keep "hitting" until a certain point, so I just tried to take no unreasonable chances, and it paid off.  My memory isn't good enough to count cards!

On 7/10/2019 at 3:34 PM, The Nehor said:

That is also what I think of herbal tea. It is water and you boiled some grass in it. It is nasty. People only drank it in the past because they needed to boil water to make sure they did not die drinking water. Can we just accept that it is a pointless historical artifact that has fulfilled its purpose and move on?

I agree to a large extent.  However, not all herbal teas are nasty.  Peppermint tea is lovely!  It helps settle the stomach (really!) as I have discovered occasionally.  And with sugar it has a very pleasant taste. My wife prefers it without sugar, but not me.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, snowflake said:

Agreed...no pork documentation....yet he picked grain and ate it on the Sabbath....which was forbidden.

What exactly was forbidden about it?  The complaint was not that they were picking it on the Sabbath, but that they were "threshing" the grain: holding the picked heads, and rubbing their hands together to separate the kernels from the chaff.  The Pharisees counted that as working on the Sabbath.  Working on the Sabbath is forbidden, but eating on the Sabbath?  They were looking for simply anything at all to accuse Jesus with.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:34 PM, snowflake said:

For such a legalistic group (COJCOLDS) I find it very perplexing as to why the group doesn't follow it's own Prophet's teachings.  When you read section 89, wine is allowed if produced by the saints for their sacrament....today that is taboo. Mild barley drinks (beer) are allowed....today that is taboo.  Meat should be eaten sparingly and in the winter......taboo.....eat as much as you want whenever. The WOW is not a commandment or constraint according to the text but a principle with a promise....try drinking a coffee at your next LDS function (or be really rebellious and drink a near beer) and see what happens.  The church doesn't even follow the teachings of Joseph's D&C section 89......  I remember as a kid my Dad drinking near beer and my father getting into a long Discussion with the bishop about the wording of section 89.....Dad din't drink near beer after the Bishop corrected his error.....section 89 is not up for different interpretations if you want to go to the temple.  

And I find it perplexing why a non-believer finds it necessary to come to a forum so he can chide believers about the depth of their obedience to something that he doesn't believe in.  That strikes me as hyperlegalistic, not to mention very pharisaic, in a somewhat loose sense.  So, please instruct us, Rabbi, how we should keep the Word of Wisdom!  We hang on your every word.