Seriously No Politics ×

What motivates you to live the WOW?

21 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

The stake president in the stake I served my mission out of apparently would deny a TR to someone who drank cola drinks.  Or so I was told.  I am sure that some bishops or stake presidents might have gone that way, thinking that was an official stance on the matter.

I can’t falsify an anecdote. But it was not the norm. 

Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

I can’t falsify an anecdote. But it was not the norm. 

Well, you know how it goes, right?  Some people think that if it happened to them, or they heard it happened to somebody, then it's happening all the time.

12 minutes ago, Maureen said:

1. What if the priesthood leader interviewing him agreed that he had indeed broke the WofW due to the Coke?

2. Maybe he was told it was time for his Recommend interview and he complied.

M.

1. Then both the priesthood leader and Member A would have been wrong in their assumptions. Not the fault of the Church, which never did require that a temple recommend be withheld for such a reason. 

2. It still would have been up to him. No one is compelled to seek a recommend. 

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I was more shocked at how badly the other scouts played and some of their rule misconceptions......one guy thought that if two people had pairs the high hand was the hand with the highest kicker. Thus a pair of deuces with an ace was better then a pair of aces. I was getting into gambling for real for fun and because I thought I would be good at it right before President Hinckley gave a General Conference talk on the sin of gambling. Le sigh. My career was over before it began. Or, I guess I can say I met my pok er goals early and retired on top.

I had this very interesting story about my experience with one of my sons trying to become a card dealer.  But I keep getting 403 Forbidden no matter what weasel words I try.  So, never mind.

2 hours ago, Nacho2dope said:

A key to ask in order to understand any D&C revelation is this: What was the context that caused the revelatory question?

I liked your post but as far as D&C 89 goes, I think it was Emma’s influence more than anything.

24 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

That happens sometimes. As much as I sometimes dislike the bad practice of putting the “current handbook” over the scriptures, this is a case where a small would handbook come in handy. Bishops and SP need to stick to the guidelines and interpretations in there because that stops freelancing like that. 

If I were a stake president I would assign bishops in my stake to read the handbook regularly. 

4 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I had this very interesting story about my experience with one of my sons trying to become a card dealer.  But I keep getting 403 Forbidden no matter what weasel words I try.  So, never mind.

I had to split pok er into two words before it would let me post.

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I had to split pok er into two words before it would let me post.

I saw that.  Let me try again...

My youngest son decided he wanted to be a deal er at a local native american gambling establishment.  He attended their training workshops on deal ing twenty-one, completing it satisfactorily.  He wanted to practice, and so convinced his mother to participate along with an older brother as he deal t cards.  My wife forced me to participate, as well (I didn't want to).  So here we are playing twenty-one for pok er chips.  I like winning, so I play conservatively, and after half an hour or so I have 85% of the chips.  The wife complains that I'm not getting into the spirit of the thing -- apparently I'm supposed to lose occasionally -- so I decided I wanted out, and so I start to deliberately lose all those chips, saying "hit me" even when I'm sitting on 20, for example, and betting big.  Ten minutes later I'm out and can leave.  What a waste of time.

Son never worked in the gambling establishment, by the way.  A month or so after the foregoing the gambling establishment called to ask him to come in for a job interview.  It took the call, but I "forgot" to tell him.  Well, no, I intentionally didn't tell him.  His older sister was already working in that gambling establishment, and I didn't want another kid of mine doing it.  Did I do wrong?

Since I am apparently good at twenty-one, in my own estimation anyway, perhaps I should go see if I can really make money at it?  Nah.  Daughter once told us that she had a rather rich lady come in, rent her deal er table exclusively, and then this woman proceeded to lose $20,000 in the following two or three hours.  She tipped my daughter generously, smiled, and left as if nothing had happened.  Insane.

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I saw that.  Let me try again...

My youngest son decided he wanted to be a deal er at a local native american gambling establishment.  He attended their training workshops on deal ing twenty-one, completing it satisfactorily.  He wanted to practice, and so convinced his mother to participate along with an older brother as he deal t cards.  My wife forced me to participate, as well (I didn't want to).  So here we are playing twenty-one for pok er chips.  I like winning, so I play conservatively, and after half an hour or so I have 85% of the chips.  The wife complains that I'm not getting into the spirit of the thing -- apparently I'm supposed to lose occasionally -- so I decided I wanted out, and so I start to deliberately lose all those chips, saying "hit me" even when I'm sitting on 20, for example, and betting big.  Ten minutes later I'm out and can leave.  What a waste of time.

Son never worked in the gambling establishment, by the way.  A month or so after the foregoing the gambling establishment called to ask him to come in for a job interview.  It took the call, but I "forgot" to tell him.  Well, no, I intentionally didn't tell him.  His older sister was already working in that gambling establishment, and I didn't want another kid of mine doing it.  Did I do wrong?

Since I am apparently good at twenty-one, in my own estimation anyway, perhaps I should go see if I can really make money at it?  Nah.  Daughter once told us that she had a rather rich lady come in, rent her deal er table exclusively, and then this woman proceeded to lose $20,000 in the following two or three hours.  She tipped my daughter generously, smiled, and left as if nothing had happened.  Insane.

I would not. The odds favor the house in 21 and there is little skill involved beyond memorization. If you play the game perfectly the house only has a slight edge. To give yourself the edge you have to count cards or develop some other advantage. The house is good at what they do. Same reason I would not play Pok er at one. Their games are not like real pok er and their games all (surprise!) have a house edge. Real pok er once you can read a hand and the odds quickly is about psychology and manipulation. I love the game.

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If I were a stake president I would assign bishops in my stake to read the handbook regularly. 

The first time I was set apart as a counsellor to a bishop, I was instructed in the blessing to become so familiar with the handbook that I would be a walking version of it. The former bishop and I have often discussed how everything that worked well in our ward under our service was directly tied to following the handbook.

6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Postum (which I grew up drinking and which I still buy) is made from barley. 

My dad turned to Postum when he gave up coffee to join the Church. Of alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee, he said the latter was the hardest to quit. He left the first two cold turkey and never looked back. Then came Pero.

7 hours ago, ALarson said:

My parents taught us that playing cards were "tools of the Devil" and I grew up thinking this.  I was shocked to see boys bring them to scout camp :) 

Not my folks. Hand and foot, war, other games in our house. Mom was a Colorado colony Mormon, so we were a little laxer. I had to take hot toddies for colds.

Edited by Bernard Gui
14 hours ago, Maureen said:

My friend also said these words in 1976/1977, not necessarily in a extremely serious way but as a confirmation that Coke or Pepsi were not allowed.

M.

When Merry said that, there were no Coke restrictions where we lived....New Mexico. On my mission in Central America 66-68 we drank Coke and Pepsi because in many places they were the only safe things to drink. No pressure from the Mission President. In fact he recommended Coke when we had the gambu or bad burps. (He was a pharmacist).

Edited by Bernard Gui
5 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

My dad turned to Postum when he gave up coffee to join the Church. Of alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee, he said the latter was the hardest to quit. He left the first two cold turkey and never looked back. Then came Pero.

Nothing shows a stronger testimony than someone willing to drink Postum.  That stuff tastes like boiled hay.

Edited by california boy
15 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I've heard some have pretty significant spiritual experiences as well. That would be nice for me to have, I'd love to for once really feel or see the Divine. 

I can see why some would feel taking mushrooms is a spiritual experience,  You do feel like you are seeing your environment in some more divine way.  And when I would close my eyes and just relax, I got this incredible explosion of colored patters, almost like a kaleidoscope that constantly changed shapes and colors.  I didn't think of God.  But I did think of wonderments and what the mind is capable of.  

I actually love the smell of coffee, but have no desire to drink it. I once bought what I thought was a banana muffin at a convenience store. After the first bite, I looked at the wrapper again and discovered that it was a coffee muffin. I finished it, then got the worst heartburn ever.

My neighbor is severely allergic to peanuts. Recently he was rushed to the hospital because he ate a dessert that he thought didn't have peanuts, but did.

We all don't react the same to every food or drink. Hopefully we all use wisdom in planning our diets. Perhaps the Word of Wisdom can go back to being what its title suggests.

1 hour ago, california boy said:

Nothing shows a stronger testimony than someone willing to drink Postum.  That stuff tastes like boiled hay.

It is a barley drink. Sugar and cream help. Better than Vegemite.

13 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

It is a barley drink. Sugar and cream help. Better than Vegemite.

I could probably have a cup of Postum with enough sugar and cream.  Just hold the Postum. 

39 minutes ago, Thinking said:

I actually love the smell of coffee, but have no desire to drink it. I once bought what I thought was a banana muffin at a convenience store. After the first bite, I looked at the wrapper again and discovered that it was a coffee muffin. I finished it, then got the worst heartburn ever.

My neighbor is severely allergic to peanuts. Recently he was rushed to the hospital because he ate a dessert that he thought didn't have peanuts, but did.

We all don't react the same to every food or drink. Hopefully we all use wisdom in planning our diets. Perhaps the Word of Wisdom can go back to being what its title suggests.

My partner's younger brother loved the smell of coffee in the morning.  He had an automatic coffee maker on a timer that would make coffee just as he was getting up.  He would then go to the coffee maker and throw out the coffee.  He didn't actually like coffee, just the smell.  

There was a General Foods factory, I would guess about 5 miles from where I lived growing up.  Some mornings, when there was fog, you could smell coffee the whole way I walked to school.  I actually loved the smell, even though it was not a smell I grew up with in my house.  And then there  were some days when they were making tomato soup.  Same thing would happen.  Lunch couldn't come quick enough.  As soon as the fog burned off, the smells would go away.  Not sure what the fog had to do with it, but the two seemed to be related.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

The things you learn on the Discussion Group.  Thanks,  A mystery solved since childhood.