Sign in to follow this  
MustardSeed

Im a critical sinner

13 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Then there's those few who always wait until the very end and then take the meeting way over time.

Yeah. They know they are going to talk for a while. Come up early.

My favorite F&T meeting experience was on my mission. There was a sister who got up every time and gave a report on the last month. It was always dull, contained little to no spiritual insight, and sometimes even verged on being a gripe session about how everyone else in her life was keeping her from being happy. People like the cashier at the corner store and the office that handled her dole payments who did not realize she could not live on what she got. It lasted 15-20 minutes.

One day as she was at the pulpit droning on  a little girl of about 5 or 6 years old in one of the front center rows stood up on the pew, stuck her arms out in front of her giving two thumbs down, and in a loud voice drew out the word: “Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiinnnnggg”.

She stopped and listened to the child and finished quickly. From then on when I was in the area her testimonies were more brief and more to the point of being a testimony.

“Now this is not all; little children do have words given unto them many times, which confound the wise and the learned.”

I gave the child chocolate as a reward.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

My favorite F&T meeting experience was on my mission. There was a sister who got up every time and gave a report on the last month. It was always dull, contained little to no spiritual insight, and sometimes even verged on being a gripe session about how everyone else in her life was keeping her from being happy. People like the cashier at the corner store and the office that handled her dole payments who did not realize she could not live on what she got. It lasted 15-20 minutes.

One day as she was at the pulpit droning on  a little girl of about 5 or 6 years old in one of the front center rows stood up on the pew, stuck her arms out in front of her giving two thumbs down, and in a loud voice drew out the word: “Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiinnnnggg”.

She stopped and listened to the child and finished quickly. From then on when I was in the area her testimonies were more brief and more to the point of being a testimony.

“Now this is not all; little children do have words given unto them many times, which confound the wise and the learned.”

Love this!! Poor lady, though. But she needed to hear it!

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

This the best post you have ever made.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A sister in Rockford IL stood up and said, "To all those who are gossiping about me I just want to say that the man someone saw having lunch with me last week was a business client. I am not having an affair."

Amen to that.

Edited by Bernard Gui

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

A sister in Rockford IL stood up and said, "To all those who are gossiping about me I just want to say that the man someone saw having lunch with me last week was a business client. I am not having an affair."

Amen to that.

Which is exactly what someone who was having an affair would say.

I remember when my dad was bishop. He had a kidney stone and was in agony. He was home alone and drove to the ER. After they checked him out and gave him some painkillers they said it would pass naturally. The drugs were starting to wear off when he got to the pharmacy to get a painkiller prescription and he was pale and sweating and stumbling a bit from the pain. A ward member saw him and told half the ward she had caught the bishop drunk on a sidewalk outside of Walgreens. To the ward's credit most of them did not believe her.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

A ward member saw him and told half the ward she had caught the bishop drunk on a sidewalk outside of Walgreens. To the ward's credit most of them did not believe her.

So what happened next?  Did your dad explain the cause for the ward to hear somehow, did he counsel with the member asking why she assumed drunk rather than sick?

A dude in my ward talked about his affair with a prominent leader in our ward, who has lived here 40 years.  

Problem is he failed to mention it was a dream.  (Still off the rails).

guess who got a firm talking to....

9 hours ago, Calm said:

So what happened next?  Did your dad explain the cause for the ward to hear somehow, did he counsel with the member asking why she assumed drunk rather than sick?

He just told the story in Ward Council and the truth filtered down. My mom was annoyed that he did not call someone for help and drove himself to he hospital instead of getting a ride from a friend or an ambulance (the rest of our family was on vacation seeing mom’s family at the time). I doubt he called her in and he never told me who said it. I doubt he talked to her to avoid embarrassing her further. I have no evidence to back that other then knowing my dad and his willingness to take hits if the alternative is possibly alienating someone from the gospel. I could be wrong. I would ask him but he would probably refuse to talk about it. He took confidentiality pretty seriously and was relentlessly honest. I really need to develop that level of honesty.

I did inherit one aspect of his character. When I have a murderously painful kidney stone I drive myself to the hospital. I try to keep the screaming restricted to when I am at red lights. :) 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

A dude in my ward talked about his affair with a prominent leader in our ward, who has lived here 40 years.  

Problem is he failed to mention it was a dream.  (Still off the rails).

guess who got a firm talking to....

Self-awareness is a dying art. I had a roommate in college. He was engaged and had a dream about having sex with someone else. They had their daily phone call (which he would always take while wandering around the apartment) and he decided to share this dream with her and seemed oblivious about why she was upset. He kept insisting it was a good spiritual lesson for him about his “natural man urges” and how fallen he was and expressed annoyance that she was not supportive in him sharing this and making himself vulnerable to strengthen their relationship.

Idiot.

Then again she ended up marrying him. 🙄