Sign in to follow this  
BlueDreams

Temple workers and cultural identity

14 hours ago, Calm said:

A former stake president turned it into a test of obedience when I asked him if my husband would have to shave his beautiful beard when he became an HC.  Honestly I would have respected him more if he had just said "it's a pet peeve of mine, hope you understand" or just said it's expected like missionaries wearing suits.  I lost some respect for him that day.  There are so many things we need to be obedient for coming up with arbitrary trivial tests to prove someone's spiritual worthiness is petty in my view.

umm, what about the WoW? 

I came across this Ensign article this morning which I think is pertinent to this discussion: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2019/07/religious-identity-like-marrow-in-our-bones?lang=eng

On one hand: "Modern life has afforded us enormous freedom. We are free like never before to become what and who we want to be. As sources of individual meaning have proliferated, we now better understand that respect for human dignity requires appropriate accommodation of the many ways human identity finds expression. With that realization have come, albeit sometimes slowly, greater social acceptance of those once marginalized and greater legal safeguards to protect basic human rights and to accommodate people’s identities."

On the other: "But too often secular elites and government officials focus so much on certain favored identities—such as race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity—that they miss the importance of religion as a profound source of identity."

His conclusion: "But I believe that religious and secular people of goodwill have big enough hearts, broad enough minds, and strong enough wills to forge the hard compromises that will allow all of us, whatever our identities, to live together in dignity, respect, and peace. It is to that task that we must commit ourselves for the good of all."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

umm, what about the WoW? 

I’m guessing Calm doesn’t see the WoW as a made up “arbitrary trivial test” to prove our spiritual worthiness. 

Is that how you view it?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I’m guessing Calm doesn’t see the WoW as a made up “arbitrary trivial test” to prove our spiritual worthiness. 

Is that how you view it?

Well many on here have mentioned that WoW is more an obedience law. And like Calm, that disturbs me, I'd rather the church put it in place for our health. 

Edited by Tacenda

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Well many on here have mentioned that WoW is more an obedience law. And like Calm, that disturbs me, I'd rather the church put it in place for our health. 

Can't it be both, and a few other things at once?

Is not smoking about worthless obedience?

Does it keep us out of bars and other situations which make it easier to sin and give cultural distance from such a lifestyle?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Obedience laws and arbitrary trivial tests aren’t the same thing though. 

And it could be helpful to remember that the church didn’t put anything in place. The church believes that God created the WOW and that it is only doing what God has said to do with it. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

umm, what about the WoW? 

Don’t see that as arbitrary as there were reasons provided as well as promises. This was simply a ‘would you obey it if required?’ with nothing else attached or explained.  If he had explained why, even if it was just something he didn’t like, that would have made a big difference for me. 

I am okay with God giving commandments without a lot of info because I trust his thinking process (and I am talking about commandments I believe are from him, most having been confirmed as such in some fashion).  For those given by others, including leaders, I prefer to hear their reasons for it. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 3

Well, if a black brother ordinance worker can wear dreads, I want to be able to grow a beard.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:46 AM, BlueDreams said:

This story was a bit of a big deal in some of  the black social groups. Before it could be rectified it caused a number of people to actually call the temple (from what i read) and several were very frustrated with the temple president’s initial decision. But it came with a very positive ending and represents to me a part of the cultural church that could be removed. In our stake there’s still this (dumb) expectation that people with certain male leadership callings must be shaved and hair cut short. 

But beyond hair I think it points to something that i see as a major thrust in President Nelson’s goals and actions: to help better separate church culture from gospel doctrine. I see this in several changes to temple policies to allow more people to serve as temple workers who are otherwise worthy to do so. I also see it in general church initiatives, such as the hymn book, to better represent what people in varying areas view as spiritual. 

Here I see this sometimes when people often extrapolate what happens in Utah or their own individual ward to represent the whole of the church. It can be a nice reminder that our assumptions based on a geographic location may sincerely not hold in another area or even a ward over. 

Also liked the quote at the end: The Lord asked us to be one, not to be the same

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/faith/payson-temple-worker-s-hairstyle-opens-bigger-discussion-on-diversity/article_6c57851c-55f5-5d7f-b3ee-d83decf59063.html?fbclid=IwAR05G_ja6GudYFOatfqvmNVS260xPwhXsGUfrTl49HtsdPXDb0IXF1S7c6M

Anyways thought i’d share and see what others here thought of the article. 

With luv, 

BD 

I also work at the Payson Temple on Saturdays. He is welcome to come work with me. I like his style.

• Like 2