Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Membership Numbers

5 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

How about being healed a father, Brother, or a family minister? In the end all healing is by the authority of the Priesthood.

All pain comes from the priesthood too... not sure about healing ... people say that, I hoped for it, never experienced it though... just words.

9 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Unless the attorney does it for free with no burden required on the part of the client other than registering on a website. Of course, it appears it won't be quite that simple going forward.

I did go to the web site and poked around out of curiosity. He takes donations. And he has a side hustle going with the sale of mugs.** So it's not altogether pro bono on his part.

**Not sure how lucrative online mug sales would be. I do know it helps keep Steven Crowder in business after YouTube demonitized his channel.

I still don’t get having to or wanting to get an attorney involved.  My experience now is that it is unnecessary.

11 hours ago, changed said:

If given the choice, would you rather be healed by Jesus himself, or one of the apostles?  

Anyone who actually needs to be healed and isn’t getting off on the attention that being ill can sometimes bring won’t care imo who does the healing as long as the healing occurs. 

Edited by Calm
6 minutes ago, changed said:

All pain comes from the priesthood too... not sure about healing ... people say that, I hoped for it, never experienced it though... just words.

That’s quite a n overstatement! Pain may come from insensitive or unworthy men, but not from the Priesthood. I have experienced a lot of pain that has nothing to do with the Priesthood. I have also been blessed by it, and not just in health matters.

Edited by Bernard Gui

I still don’t get having to or wanting to get an attorney involved.  My experience now is that it is unnecessary.

If you go to the bishop then more people know about your resignation. A lot of these individuals don't want that known. It could mean loss of jobs, friends, and even family. And a bishop could even call that person in and try to excommunicate/disfellowship vs. have them go quietly. This is my understanding.

Not true for some who want to resign and do not want any contact from their local leaders.  I'm not sure how that's difficult to understand.  

Unless the leaders start allowing the members to send their requests directly into Salt Lake without submitting them to their local leaders (who then contact them), it's still necessary to go through an attorney as far as I know.

Just now, Tacenda said:

If you go to the bishop then more people know about your resignation. A lot of these individuals don't want that known. It could mean loss of jobs, friends, and even family. And a bishop could even call that person in and try to excommunicate/disfellowship vs. have them go quietly. This is my understanding.

What do you think happens when memberships are resigned through SLC?  Is not the bishop notified?

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

This is another good reason for many (privacy).

Just now, Calm said:

What do you think happens when memberships are resigned through SLC?  Is not the bishop notified?

Yes, but the paperwork is not seen by as many (in my experience).  

We have also had at least one member complain who found out the paperwork was sitting out on the Bishop's desk and a few members saw it and asked them about it.

27 minutes ago, ALarson said:

Not true for some who want to resign and do not want any contact from their local leaders.  I'm not sure how that's difficult to understand.  

Unless the leaders start allowing the members to send their requests directly into Salt Lake without submitting them to their local leaders (who then contact them), it's still necessary to go through an attorney as far as I know.

When we get such  a request, our ward clerk sends a letter asking the person to verify their identity. That’s so onerous I can hardly bear it.

3 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

When we get such  a request, our ward clerk sends a letter asking the person to verify their identity. That’s so onerous I can hardly bear it.

And others get a call or visit from their Bishop in person.  Just like many other issues, it depends on your local leaders.

So those who absolutely do not want any contact (even a letter) from the local leaders, the attorney option is necessary (at least for now).  Again, it's not that difficult to grasp and respect, IMO.

Edited by ALarson
29 minutes ago, ALarson said:

Yes, but the paperwork is not seen by as many (in my experience).  

We have also had at least one member complain who found out the paperwork was sitting out on the Bishop's desk and a few members saw it and asked them about it.

Paperwork= bishop and ward clerk. Maybe counselors are informed. Why would members be looking at items on a bishop’S desk? I suppose it could happen, but it’s hard to believe a bishop would be so careless. 

34 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

How is the ward supposed to know not to contact someone who wants no more contact if that person doesn't want anyone from their ward that they have resigned?   

3 minutes ago, ALarson said:

And others get a call or visit from their Bishop in person.  Just like many other issues, it depends on your local leaders.

So those who absolutely do not want any contact (even a letter) from the local leaders, the attorney option is necessary (at least for now).  Again, it's not that difficult to grasp and respect, IMO.

Go ahead and get an attorney. No big deal. IMO, it’s not necessary. We have processed such adamant requests .

51 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

That was 15 years ago. Today we do things expeditiously.

I asked a friend who resigned not that long ago, and she said her and husband wish they’d gone the attorney route.  What they experienced were several contacts and a unscheduled in advance visit from the entire bishopric.  That was exactly what they’d requested not happen.

So yes, it depends on ward leaders and it’s a roulette what you’re going to get.  Where if you use an attorney you will not have the contact or questions some experience.

Edited by JulieM
7 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Paperwork= bishop and ward clerk. Maybe counselors are informed. Why would members be looking at items on a bishop’S desk? I suppose it could happen, but it’s hard to believe a bishop would be so careless. 

Yup and that's more who see the paperwork (just as I already stated)....and there are even others who may see it, correct?  I've heard some pretty disturbing accounts of a breach of privacy through carelessness.  So, removing that step is a very natural thing for many to desire.  Why can't you understand that?  

Edited by ALarson
2 minutes ago, JulieM said:

I asked a friend who resigned not that long ago, and she said her and husband wish they’d gone the attorney route.  What they experienced were several contacts and a unscheduled in advance visit from the entire bishopric.  That was exactly what they’d requested not happen.

So yes, it depends on ward leaders and it’s a roulette what you’re going to get.  Where if you use an attorney you will not have the contact or questions some experience.

Go for the attorney, then. 

1 minute ago, Bernard Gui said:

Go for the attorney, then. 

Which is why many are going this route now.  It's great they have a choice if they've decided to have their names removed.

I'm not sure why that appears to bother you or cause any type of disagreement or argument.  It's just more options for those involved, and a positive, IMO.

Just now, ALarson said:

Yup and that's more who see the paperwork (and even others may see it).  I've heard some pretty disturbing accounts of breach of privacy.  So, removing that step is a very natural thing for many to desire.  Why can't you understand that?  

Because I’m so blissfully and uncaringly dense, of course. You should know that by now.....

Been in a lot of bishoprics, so I can only speak from my own experience. Such things have always been handled respectfully  in confidence.

6 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Been in a lot of bishoprics, so I can only speak from my own experience. Such things have always been handled respectfully  in confidence.

That's great.  But you must know that with the great variety of personalities and leadership skills or techniques, resignations are not all going to be handled in an identical manner.  I believe the Bishops who go out and call on a member who has turned in the paperwork, does so with good intentions....but it's exactly what many want to avoid.  It's just simpler for those members to use an attorney.

Edited by ALarson
1 minute ago, ALarson said:

Which is why many are going this route now.  It's great they have a choice if they've decided to have their names removed.

I'm not sure why that appears to bother you or cause any type of disagreement or argument.  It's just more options for those involved, and a positive, IMO.

Bother is not the right word. Can’t think of the exact word right now. 

1 minute ago, ALarson said:

That's great.  But you must know that with the great variety of personalities and leadership skills or techniques, resignations are not all going to be handled in an identical manner.  I believe the Bishops who go out and call on a member who has turned in the paperwork, does so with good intentions....but it's exactly what many want to avoid.  It's just simpler for those members to use an attorney.

Go for the attorney, then.