Seriously No Politics ×

President Nelson's 95th birthday celebration

JAHS

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

Acclaimed Guest Artists to Perform for President Nelson’s 95th Birthday Celebration

"Guest artists for President Russell M. Nelson’s 95th birthday celebration, scheduled for early September, have been announced. Latter-day Saint performing artists Jenny Oaks Baker & Family Four, GENTRI, The Bonner Family, Nathan Pacheco and Donny Osmond will join The Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square for the evening celebration on Friday, September 6, 2019."

I don't mind wishing the prophet a happy birthday but does it really have to be a major production like this? Seems a bit over the top to me. If it were me I would say just a birthday cake is enough. Spend all that money and attention on something else.     But it's not me.  

I admit, my initial reaction was the same. It sounds a bit over the top.

If people offered to participate rather than being paid or even asked, would you feel different?

I don’t like such things myself, but I get the desire for community celebrations and this seems like a good excuse for one. 

2 hours ago, JAHS said:

Acclaimed Guest Artists to Perform for President Nelson’s 95th Birthday Celebration

"Guest artists for President Russell M. Nelson’s 95th birthday celebration, scheduled for early September, have been announced. Latter-day Saint performing artists Jenny Oaks Baker & Family Four, GENTRI, The Bonner Family, Nathan Pacheco and Donny Osmond will join The Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square for the evening celebration on Friday, September 6, 2019."

I don't mind wishing the prophet a happy birthday but does it really have to be a major production like this? Seems a bit over the top to me. If it were me I would say just a birthday cake is enough. Spend all that money and attention on something else.     But it's not me.  

A friend of mine just had a birthday party for two days over the weekend.  We went to Tucanos (free meal on your birthday), and next day a big pool party -- with salad, fruit, grilled hot dogs and cheeseburgers, then ice cream and cake to top it off.  Her children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren swam in the pool.  She just turned 79, and said that it was the first real birthday party she had ever had.  Too busy raising kids in the past (she had 8, but only 6 survived).

Sometimes it's nice to have a really big party, and 95 is a good excuse.  

Of course, I hope that Pres Nelson can make it to next Sept.  If he keeps going to places like the Pulse nightclub, that may be in question.  :D

(Photo courtesy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) Barbara Poma, executive director of the onePULSE Foundation, chats with President Russell M. Nelson on Sunday, June 9, 2019, in Orlando.

(Photo courtesy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) Barbara Poma, executive director of the onePULSE Foundation, chats with President Russell M. Nelson on Sunday, June 9, 2019, in Orlando.

Let him celebrate it.  95 is an accomplishment.  Also, these events for church leaders never stray too far from the church mission.  The mere fact that there is a celebration for the president of the church, even if there is no overt church message accompanying it, is still good p.r. for the church.  It sounds like it'll be a good program for those who attend and watch it.  It's like attaching your name to a 4th of July celebration or some other feel good local festival.

Just sounds like an excuse for a musical bash and some testimony of the power of the gospel to bless lives that a bunch of people can go to for free. I am okay with that.

I am not sure I would feel blessed if said blessing was still having to work a more then full time job at the age of 95 but I am a bit lazy.

10 hours ago, JAHS said:

From July 2019 Ensign: “Elder Rasband said that during his ordination to the apostleship, he was instructed, “‘We place you in a position to be a special witness of the name of Christ in all the world … at all times and in every circumstance.’ Those words were included in my ordination: ‘at all times and in every circumstance.’

So I see no problem if he continues “to be a special witness of the name of Christ in all the world … at all times and in every circumstance.” Which I am sure he will do.

I am reminded of this: “I have told my Brethren in that day when my funeral is held, if any of them who speak talk about me, I will raise up and correct them. The gospel is to be preached. I know of no meeting where the congregation is in a better state of readiness to receive revelation and inspiration from a speaker than they are at a funeral. This privilege is being taken away from us because we don’t understand the order of things—the unwritten order of things—that relates to the administration of the Church and the reception of the Spirit.” (Boyd K. Packer, BYU Devotional Address, October 15, 1996 in the Marriott Center).

I am also reminded of Matthew 26: “There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat…  When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, …she hath wrought a good work upon me… in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.” Despite that, I do wish him a long life!

4 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I am reminded of this: “I have told my Brethren in that day when my funeral is held, if any of them who speak talk about me, I will raise up and correct them. The gospel is to be preached. I know of no meeting where the congregation is in a better state of readiness to receive revelation and inspiration from a speaker than they are at a funeral. This privilege is being taken away from us because we don’t understand the order of things—the unwritten order of things—that relates to the administration of the Church and the reception of the Spirit.” (Boyd K. Packer, BYU Devotional Address, October 15, 1996 in the Marriott Center).

If I were asked to speak at his funeral I would talk about him just to see what happens. :vader: 

I also believe talking about him and preaching the gospel are not mutually exclusive.

I looked at past presidents birthday celebrations and they seem to be handled differently at different times:

President Monson
85th
Three talented vocalists will join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square on Friday, Aug. 17, to commemorate the 85th birthday of President Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The commemorative concert will be held at the LDS Church’s downtown 

90th
LDS president Thomas S. Monson will celebrate his 90th birthday on August 21, the day a solar eclipse is set to occur.
A "quiet family affair" will be held in Salt Lake City to celebrate his birthday, according to his daughter, Sister Ann M. Dibb.

President Hinckley
90th
On 23 June in the Conference Center, the stage was set for a party. Every seat was filled. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square were in their places. Thousands of flowers bedecked the rostrum.

95th
President Gordon B. Hinckley's colleagues and associates among the First Presidency, the general authorities and Church administrative staff honored him today on his 95th birthday in a private reception held in the Church Administration Building.

I am guessing it depends on their health that determines on whether they make a big celebration out of it.

It sounds like a fun event, actually.  I am wondering why they didn't invite Lindsey Sterling?  I guess they can't invite everyone.

The thing is, events like this are for the benefit of the public, not the person who is being honored.  Not really.  It is a chance for the community to get together to celebrate common interests and loves.  

And what @The Nehor said.

On 6/27/2019 at 9:46 AM, Stargazer said:

It sounds like a fun event, actually.  I am wondering why they didn't invite Lindsey Sterling?  I guess they can't invite everyone.

The thing is, events like this are for the benefit of the public, not the person who is being honored.  Not really.  It is a chance for the community to get together to celebrate common interests and loves.  

And what @The Nehor said.

They invited a different violinist I think. 

On 6/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, Exiled said:

Let him celebrate it.  95 is an accomplishment.  Also, these events for church leaders never stray too far from the church mission.  The mere fact that there is a celebration for the president of the church, even if there is no overt church message accompanying it, is still good p.r. for the church.  It sounds like it'll be a good program for those who attend and watch it.  It's like attaching your name to a 4th of July celebration or some other feel good local festival.

An unexpectedly reasonable response.  I am surprised!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Pres Hinckley's birthday celebration with Gladys Knight, Jenny Oaks Baker, etc etc... lovely event, as I'm sure Pres Nelson's will be... I see nothing wrong with celebrating his 95 remarkable years of service, not only to the Church but to the medical community...

GG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 10:35 PM, JAHS said:

You think President Nelson planned his own birthday celebration?  You think all of the money required to put it on is coming straight out of your tithing dollars ... how dare they?!!!  Relax, son.  The Fourteenth Article of Faith says:

We believe in celebrating our birthdays how we wish, and allow others and those closest to them the same privilege: Let them celebrate how, when, and what they may.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:13 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

Of course, I hope that Pres Nelson can make it to next Sept.  If he keeps going to places like the Pulse nightclub, that may be in question.  :D ...

Perhaps I simply need to visit my physician to have my funny bone adjusted, Brother Smith, but I didn't think that was particularly funny. :huh::unknw::( (I realize the scale of loss of life was different, but, to me, that's sorta like joking about 9/11.  Perhaps you're a fan of Rep. Ilhan Omar?)  Again, maybe it's just me.  https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/are-we-not-all-sinners/

Edited by Kenngo1969
7 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Perhaps I simply need to visit my physician to have my funny bone adjusted, Brother Smith, but I didn't think that was particularly funny. :huh::unknw::( (I realize the scale of loss of life was different, but, to me, that's sorta like joking about 9/11.  Perhaps you're a fan of Rep. Ilhan Omar?)  Again, maybe it's just me.  https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/are-we-not-all-sinners/

Sorry, Kenngo, I wasn't thinking of the terrorist assault on the Pulse Nightclub.  I think that Pres Nelson wanted to show his compassion and sorrow for the loss of life there by speaking with the owner and people at Pulse.  I was merely thinking of the nightclub lifestyle, and thought it a bit much for Pres Nelson.  Just didn't think it through to the violence as you did.

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Sorry, Kenngo, I wasn't thinking of the terrorist assault on the Pulse Nightclub.  I think that Pres Nelson wanted to show his compassion and sorrow for the loss of life there by speaking with the owner and people at Pulse.  I was merely thinking of the nightclub lifestyle, and thought it a bit much for Pres Nelson.  Just didn't think it through to the violence as you did.

Fair enough.  We've certainly had our share of disagreements (and misunderstandings, perhaps, as apparently on my part here), but I hope you know that any disagreement or misunderstanding notwithstanding, I hold you in high regard (which, indeed, is part of the reason why I reacted the way I did).

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, Garden Girl said:

I remember Pres Hinckley's birthday celebration with Gladys Knight, Jenny Oaks Baker, etc etc... lovely event, as I'm sure Pres Nelson's will be... I see nothing wrong with celebrating his 95 remarkable years of service, not only to the Church but to the medical community...

GG

I watched this last night, and it was absolutely lovely... with music that stirred my soul and brought tears to my eyes more than once... there was an emphasis on Christ and Pres Nelson's calling to be a special witness of Christ to all the world.  A brief biography was included, with some of his contributions to the med community, and his love of people.  I came away with a better understanding and appreciation of him as a person, and our prophet.   He is a remarkable person and disciple of Christ.  The performances were uplifting, dignified... and I was surprised at the talent of Donny Osmond as he performed a duet with Nathan Pacheco... "excellence" comes to mind... in regard to the whole event...

GG 

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

I kind of felt the same way JAHS, especially when LDS.org’s opening screen was largely taken up by a countdown clock to the celebration. It seemed odd. 

I don’t think it’s wrong, just not my style at all. 

I searched and searched a way to watch but couldn't find it, funny I care way more now that I'm not such a faithful LDS compared to my old days, about this and conferences. Probaby because I have a critical eye sometimes, but I really like Donny now, never did in my youth, lol. 

I still can't watch, I go to LDS.org and when I click the top post about it, I get nothing! 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I searched and searched a way to watch but couldn't find it, funny I care way more now that I'm not such a faithful LDS compared to my old days, about this and conferences. Probaby because I have a critical eye sometimes, but I really like Donny now, never did in my youth, lol. 

I still can't watch, I go to LDS.org and when I click the top post about it, I get nothing! 

I watched on facebook... next week BYU-tv will rebroadcast it... it may still be up on facebook.  I had missed the first 20 mins trying to figure out how to watch.  Churchofjesuschrist.org gives a choice of twitter or facebook so I chose facebook and that worked...I was able to watch it again last night on facebook as it was still up...so I got to see what I had missed.

Juliann... The fushia dress sleeves startled me...

GG 

25 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

I watched on facebook... next week BYU-tv will rebroadcast it... it may still be up on facebook.  I had missed the first 20 mins trying to figure out how to watch.  Churchofjesuschrist.org gives a choice of twitter or facebook so I chose facebook and that worked...I was able to watch it again last night on facebook as it was still up...so I got to see what I had missed.

Juliann... The fushia dress sleeves startled me...

GG 

Thanks GG, also my local news mentioned it being televised this Sunday!