Sign in to follow this  
PacMan

Cherokee Legends

Posted (edited)

Everything appears to come from the same source, no evidence of a long history.

And it does seem to on the nose to be likely.  More likely a more recent story when stone crosses needed to be explained.

Edited by Calm

5 hours ago, PacMan said:

Anyone ever hear of this legend about the Cherokee stone crosses?  Anyone know of a good resource that vets this sort of information?

It just seems a little too good to be true....

http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2016/12/legend-of-stone-crosses.html

There is a naturally concurring mineral, staurolite ("fairy cross"), that takes this shape naturally:

Image result for staurolite mineral

It is found in places where the Cherokee originally (prior to 18th century) lived, in the southwest USA.

• Like 1

Legends about Cherokee from where my ancestors are from is the just about every western family claims a Grandpappy up line married a Cherokee Princess.

2 hours ago, CV75 said:

There is a naturally concurring mineral, staurolite ("fairy cross"), that takes this shape naturally:

It is found in places where the Cherokee originally (prior to 18th century) lived, in the southwest USA.

You probably meant "southeast" (North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee)?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, provoman said:

Legends about Cherokee from where my ancestors are from is the just about every western family claims a Grandpappy up line married a Cherokee Princess.

Some of these legends are true.  There are multiple reasons why folks like to "claim" Cherokee ancestry; although, the tribe itself is quite serious about actually proving it.  All of my sister's children have attended BYU with scholarship money from the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.  In order to qualify, they had to prove their ancestry through genealogical evidence.  One of my brother-in-law's great-great-grandmothers was full-blood Cherokee, and my sister jokes that she is the mother of a "small tribe" of her own. 

Given their growing list of accomplishments, I'm one proud uncle.

Edited by Okrahomer
  • Like 4

A song for the Cherokee Nation: