Sign in to follow this  
gopher

What makes you a "unique Mormon"?

Recently Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons was quoted in an article discussing what makes him a unique Mormon.  It's understandable that many feel they possess traits and qualities that make them different from other members.  However, it can be a challenge to distinguish yourself today especially with all the competition from social media.  

Reynolds explains:  "Some days I don’t believe in anything — some days I’m probably more atheist than your atheist friend".  What is it that makes you unique as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gopher said:

Recently Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons was quoted in an article discussing what makes him a unique Mormon.  It's understandable that many feel they possess traits and qualities that make them different from other members.  However, it can be a challenge to distinguish yourself today especially with all the competition from social media.  

Reynolds explains:  "Some days I don’t believe in anything — some days I’m probably more atheist than your atheist friend".  What is it that makes you unique as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

I'm a fence sitting LDS. I wear garments but don't attend. I can't let go of certain thought processes that I find very comforting in my old life in Mormonism. I feel out of place with the ex LDS meet and greets or meetings, and I feel out of place in my LDS ward now. I'm just stuck in the middle. Some days I wish I was never born into the LDS church just so I don't go through the pain of not fitting in anywhere now. I still believe in a God of some kind, but not necessarily the God in Mormonism. So I'm continually lost, I can never go back to where I was and I don't want to go to any other faith organization, nor do I want to go to where I believe this earth started out with two organisims producing something, if that makes sense. I am envious of those that can be all in or never in, if that makes sense.

I am a unique child of God, just like He is.

I do know how to catch a unique Mormon.... you neek up on 'em. 😁

• Like 2

I was one of the last members of the church to be ordained a 70 at the local level. The next week they announced that all stake 70's quorums would be dissolved.

• Like 1

I have a bizarre sense of humor for one. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The fact that in many ways I consider myself momron..but not...after over 40 years as a mormon, I consider it still a part of my identity...and yet uniquely because there wasn't  a space for my questions and doubts.. I am uniquely tied by ancestry and love.  And so many people dislike me because of it.  That is okay.

Edited by Jeanne
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I like my occasional...uh..alcoholic drink. My mouth is a little more harsh then it ought to be. Or is that just pointing out my unique sins? 😂

Edited by SettingDogStar
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think everyone is pretty different from each other at their core as well as sharing characteristics, but “uniqueness” has the connotation of being special which is not the same as being different. (I am smart becomes I am smarter than others, for example).

I think one runs into the problem that Nehor mentions if one starts reveling in one’s differences as specialness, feelings that puts oneself above the “crowd” so to speak. I think it is important to see ourselves as different as well as similar, as individuals, but comparing ourselves to others rather than just defining ourselves is problematic. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

I remember this joke told to me by a work associate. Now I can't remember the full riddle. Would you mind sharing, was just thinking about it, lol.

Posted (edited)

I have a medical syndrome, non life threatning, that just less than 6% of the male population have and TBH I don't want to know who else has it😏 but I would have it regardless of what I espouse

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

remember this j

Just replace Mormon with rabbit and you have the original. My humor is not unique but it is annoyingly weird.

I abandoned the idea that I was unique a long time ago. Consequently, I concluded that the concept of uniqueness is seldom, if ever, found among humans. I am completely human. I have moments of greatness, but those are rare and overrun by the vast number of moments of just being ordinary. I love to be inspired by others, but that moment of inspiration is inundated with the humanity of each human. 

Am I unique? No. Am I special? Only in the sense that I have an identity, which is something every other human enjoys. So, no, I am not special. I am human....which I do think of as being special it its potential and in relation to being part of God's family. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Did you get that from the joke page of Boys Life magazine? :)

3 minutes ago, gopher said:

Did you get that from the joke page of Boys Life magazine? :)

" dad jokes rule !!!!!!!

When the great pogrom kicks off and we can purge the church of neurotypicals I will still be alive! Mwahahahahahahaha!

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

TBH I think people who try to put themselves outside the group will find themselves outside the group (i'm better than you, holier, related to XYZ....), so I don't know that i would want to characterize myself as a unique member. In saying that though I don't know that God is wanting to make us all the same, just one with God and one with another

But don't members want to believe they have unique gifts that are needed to build up the church, assist in the gathering, etc?  Some missionaries believe they are sent to a certain country because they are the only one who can find and baptize certain people.  Is it wrong to feel you are unique if you don't then compare yourself to others?

50 minutes ago, gopher said:

But don't members want to believe they have unique gifts that are needed to build up the church, assist in the gathering, etc?  Some missionaries believe they are sent to a certain country because they are the only one who can find and baptize certain people.  Is it wrong to feel you are unique if you don't then compare yourself to others?

maybe but I think God is the only one who can decide who has what gifts and , if we follow him, how he can use those gifts for his purpose. I think of both Little Richard and my father, both were born in the same month, same year yet led very, very different lives. Both just have had different talents, upbringings and contributions to make but I think only God can decide who has what and how it was used or not. We only know people by their fruits but not the roots

I’m very different in some specific ways but I guess that would expose my identity here so I can’t say.  

But people often are surprised to know im a Mormon , and not because of my standards. 

My mommy always tells her friends that I’m “special”.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm a fence sitting LDS. I wear garments but don't attend. I can't let go of certain thought processes that I find very comforting in my old life in Mormonism. I feel out of place with the ex LDS meet and greets or meetings, and I feel out of place in my LDS ward now. I'm just stuck in the middle. Some days I wish I was never born into the LDS church just so I don't go through the pain of not fitting in anywhere now. I still believe in a God of some kind, but not necessarily the God in Mormonism. So I'm continually lost, I can never go back to where I was and I don't want to go to any other faith organization, nor do I want to go to where I believe this earth started out with two organisims producing something, if that makes sense. I am envious of those that can be all in or never in, if that makes sense.

You have over 15k posts and you still have questions and concerns the smart believers here haven't been able to resolve?  That seems hard to believe. :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gopher said:

Your question is extremely important!

When people feel too similar to others (callings in EQ, YMP - HOnda Odyssey/Mormon Assault vehicle-driving Milk Toast, etc.) they gravitate toward other groups where they can feel a stronger sense of belonging.  IT makes me wonder if many of my LDS friends and fellow ward memebrs seem so exahusted all the time: they got married, had kids, despite any challegnes or limiatations God gave them - to show His glory to them and others, min His time - this exhausting lifestyle seesm to ahve left some of us with little empathy for others, seeking more empathy from others standing in awe of the sacrifices we've overcome to comply wiht our own individual misinterpretaiton fo the gospel - as many GA's have sated repeatedly abotu exceptison  - to missions, marriage, kids, etc. 

What makes me unique, among other things:

1. I advocate the legalizing of polygamy

2. I advocate Church HQ and non-Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints religious HQ's being made sovereign like the Catholic Church's HQ

3. I advocate the exit from the BSA that;s coming in December and wish it had happened decades ago

4. I advocate driving cars that are older and have historic plates...even when I'm not driving them to antique car shows that I dont attend

5. I believe ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome and a few other "disabilities" are the next stage in evolution.  

6. I cant list too many more without revealing my mild-mannered alter ego.

Why don't unique up on me and find out? ;)