Seriously No Politics ×

Missions and plane tickets

Rain

My sons mission info says that "if needed" he should request plane tickets to get to the MTC.  I'm wondering if that means financially or distance.  Asked the bishop and he said he thinks it means financially, but he isn't sure.  Anyone know?

Most parents personally deliver their kiddos to the MTC.   I'd suggest that whatever the reason a parent might not be able to do that, they are free to request the tickets.    The answer might be no, if financially is the sole criteria.   No harm in asking.

Edited by rpn
1 hour ago, Rain said:

My sons mission info says that "if needed" he should request plane tickets to get to the MTC.  I'm wondering if that means financially or distance.  Asked the bishop and he said he thinks it means financially, but he isn't sure.  Anyone know?

I don't think there is a high bar.  Distance is also completely valid.  There is no reason to go to the MTC, in fact, unless you live right in Provo.  All you will be doing is dropping them off at the curb, and I mean that literally, there are other missionaries there to receive them and take the suitcases out.  There is barely time for a hug.  So you do all your good-byes BEFORE the MTC anyway.  5 minutes tops, then you have to drive off.

I live in Arizona.  I took my son to Sky Harbor, the tickets that were purchased by the church for us, and said good-bye to him there.  He flew up to Utah.  They had a missionary shuttle at whichever airport he landed, SLC I think but not positive.  He actually went the day before his listed reporting date, which I doubled checked was all right, it was.  As long as it is not later than the reporting date.

Yes, get plane tickets to the MTC.  Don't go there.

Things change over time. As a young man in Florida, I was required to pay for my ticket to SLC. From that point on all flights were handled by the Church. It was certainly a different experience for those living in Utah. I can still remember all the missionaries and their parents/families in a big room for a short meeting. Then the missionaries were asked to go one direction and the families the other. I was sitting near the back and saw all these family members hugging their missionary as he was asked to depart from them. I just got up and walked through the directed door and I was off on my mission. 

I am sure that I wished to have my parents with me, but I had already said my goodbye's in Florida. It is just a frame of mind or a perspective. There was a great eagerness to be on my mission, through the LTM and off to France. 

I flew from Canada to the MTC, the church footed the bill and there was an option for that. I got picked up at the SLC airport and driven to Provo by some friends. In Hindsight I should have left days earlier as I could have gone sight seeing, ah well!

Yes, I remember the MTC experiences from 30 years ago, but knew a lot had changed. Just getting his call changed since they come by email now.  I knew there wasn't the meeting thing anymore. 

I had assumed we got him to Utah and to the MTC so we were thinking fly him up and then grandma takes him to the MTC and then I read the request tickets thing. 

I think there was a number listed there. I'll have to try to call when they are likely open and ask. 

6 hours ago, Maidservant said:

I don't think there is a high bar.  Distance is also completely valid.  There is no reason to go to the MTC, in fact, unless you live right in Provo.  All you will be doing is dropping them off at the curb, and I mean that literally, there are other missionaries there to receive them and take the suitcases out.  There is barely time for a hug.  So you do all your good-byes BEFORE the MTC anyway.  5 minutes tops, then you have to drive off.

I live in Arizona.  I took my son to Sky Harbor, the tickets that were purchased by the church for us, and said good-bye to him there.  He flew up to Utah.  They had a missionary shuttle at whichever airport he landed, SLC I think but not positive.  He actually went the day before his listed reporting date, which I doubled checked was all right, it was.  As long as it is not later than the reporting date.

Yes, get plane tickets to the MTC.  Don't go there.

I did not know you lived close. I would love to have lunch with you if you are interested. No problem if not. Just pm me if you are.

46 minutes ago, Rain said:

I did not know you lived close. I would love to have lunch with you if you are interested. No problem if not. Just pm me if you are.

By the way, my MTC story was recently, last year.

I live up in the mountains, so not in the Valley.  But I'm up for RL connection if you still want to.  The "I teach about Life Eating . . . " link in my sig line is a Facebook Page of mine and you can find my personal page from that I think and message me from there, if you are so inclined.

36 minutes ago, Maidservant said:

By the way, my MTC story was recently, last year.

I live up in the mountains, so not in the Valley.  But I'm up for RL connection if you still want to.  The "I teach about Life Eating . . . " link in my sig line is a Facebook Page of mine and you can find my personal page from that I think and message me from there, if you are so inclined.

Sounds good. I'll have to remember when I am on the computer and can see your sig line. 

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Yes, I remember the MTC experiences from 30 years ago, but knew a lot had changed. Just getting his call changed since they come by email now.  I knew there wasn't the meeting thing anymore. 

I had assumed we got him to Utah and to the MTC so we were thinking fly him up and then grandma takes him to the MTC and then I read the request tickets thing. 

I think there was a number listed there. I'll have to try to call when they are likely open and ask. 

We arranged to fly my son through the MTC. We did not drive him. I think the church arranged the tickets and payed. My sister was able to pick him up from the airport, take him to lunch and drop him off.

It was much easier.

On 6/19/2019 at 1:50 PM, Rain said:

My guess, it is due to parents often flying out, it takes some planning. In my daughter’s case, since she reported in the summer, we did a two week vacation drive out to the MTC. It was a lot of fun, but it was hard, my wife and I had to stop many times to cry for the first day back home. Sometimes, we as an entire family just pulled over and openly wept, it was so hard to say goodbye. She was our oldest child, so the first to leave home, “alone”, and the three children remaining, were saying goodbye as well to their big sister. There is a 16.5 year difference between the oldest and our youngest child, so he was just “unhinged” over it all. With my youngest, when he left, I drove him to the airport, and then sat almost two hours crying in my car in the parking deck, before I could drive home. Wow, tears are running down my cheeks, just remembering. Papa loves his babies, and is not ashamed to say so!