Sign in to follow this  
rodheadlee

Why can't people leave well enough alone

I sometimes complain about change. Later when I get accustomed to the change, I look back at the way it used to be and am glad the change was made.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I will admit there is much .I don't like about the Church's website.  Its search function provides much less info these days, imo,

However, it has a huge amount of content which is great, so I use Google to find what I want.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

There are some basic functionality we've lost. Not just in scripture but also in sorting search results. That used to be part of all the variants but they removed it a few years ago. It makes finding a particular conference talk much, much more difficult. I sometimes think that if I had time I'd write a custom portal that just indexes the various conference talks. At minimum have a "pro" search portal the way many sites do.

The scripture page is also problematic. I think that's something people could do better. Again, if I had any free time I'd probably write an iOS/Mac app to do it. Maybe after I finish getting HomeKit working in my house lights and garden...

• Like 1

There's lots of great non-Mormon resources. I just wish there was an LDS oriented site designed for people studying rather than what lds.org has become. (It had problems before but it's gotten much, much worse)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

I hate when they change websites  or software for the sake of change. It appears the Classic Scripture website is gone. It had a raging good word search engine on it. I'll never be able to find stuff now. Why would they take those down? Any body know of a good replacement?

If you're talking about the old scriptures on lds.org . . . my most often way of using that is to search for single words and then I get a whole list of that word in the scriptures, so I can see connections (or the lack thereof) throughout.  It's how I've received many of my revelations.

So I was completely lost when they put up the new stuff and I was like, NOOOOO!!! WHERE IS IT!!!!!!

However, it took me a minute, and don't know?  maybe this is all you need too?  There IS a 'search' icon along a top bar, I think to the right, and if you use that you get a similar effect.  Not the best for me, but it was okay.  I'll get used to it I think.

Edited by Maidservant
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

I hate when they change websites  or software for the sake of change. It appears the Classic Scripture website is gone. It had a raging good word search engine on it. I'll never be able to find stuff now. Why would they take those down? Any body know of a good replacement?

...and you have to log in to even use it, and those pop-ups!... Hopefully improvements are on the way.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Calm said:

I will admit there is much .I don't like about the Church's website.  Its search function provides much less info these days, imo,

However, it has a huge amount of content which is great, so I use Google to find what I want.

I know this is a rank amateur question but  seriously.... how do you use google again to search one site only?  Ah fergit.

Anybody know how we can get back to DOS?  ;)

I could do macros and just about anything in DOS but now.....   who needs a graphical user interface anyway?  ;)

😪.  This here newfangled WYSIWYG system is fer them whippersnappers out there in computerland.  😝   Them apple fellers messed up every dang thang makin good old IBM keep up with the Joneses.  ;)

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CV75 said:

...and you have to log in to even use it, and those pop-ups!... Hopefully improvements are on the way.

I love the pop ups that ask you how you like the site when you haven't even seen it yet.....  pure brilliance! 

• Like 2

Site:lds.org and then your search terms. Put in quotes anything you want google to be required to include. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

I love the pop ups that ask you how you like the site when you haven't even seen it yet.....  pure brilliance! 

Every time I try to Control-C anything it yells at me "Do you wanna a log in? NO?!? Well press this obnoxious in your face button to copy even though it makes no difference." I would like to ask what the heck is going on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Site:lds.org and then your search terms. Put in quotes anything you want google to be required to include. 

Thanks Wonderwoman! ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Calm said:

Unfortunately that doesn't do quite the sorting and limiting to type that the old lds.org used to do. The dates Google comes up with are conjecture although to be fair for conference talks they're often pretty accurate. You can also sort by date using Google's tools. 

The other tip for using Google's tools is that you can do some limiting by not just putting the dns name (lds.org) but also paths. So you can do site:lds.org/general-conference or site:lds.org/ensign or even site:lds.org/ensign/1994.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

I know this is a rank amateur question but  seriously.... how do you use google again to search one site only?  Ah fergit.

Anybody know how we can get back to DOS?  ;)

I could do macros and just about anything in DOS but now.....   who needs a graphical user interface anyway?  ;)

😪.  This here newfangled WYSIWYG system is fer them whippersnappers out there in computerland.  😝   Them apple fellers messed up every dang thang makin good old IBM keep up with the Joneses.  ;)

DOS was just the toddler version of UNIX ;) I sometimes still use the UNIX terminal on my MacBook. I grieved the recent day MacOS removed Telnet; that was my introduction to the internet in 1990. 

ETA: rm -rf * anyone?

Edited by MiserereNobis

On 6/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, clarkgoble said:

Not just in scripture but also in sorting search results. That used to be part of all the variants but they removed it a few years ago. It makes finding a particular conference talk much, much more difficult.

I don't know how easy it is to find a specific talk, but the BYU conference corpus is pretty amazing for finding conference content:

https://www.lds-general-conference.org/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clarkgoble said:

Unfortunately that doesn't do quite the sorting and limiting to type that the old lds.org used to do. The dates Google comes up with are conjecture although to be fair for conference talks they're often pretty accurate. You can also sort by date using Google's tools. 

The other tip for using Google's tools is that you can do some limiting by not just putting the dns name (lds.org) but also paths. So you can do site:lds.org/general-conference or site:lds.org/ensign or even site:lds.org/ensign/1994.

Thanks for the info.  Most of the time I am searching for anything on a topic, but occasionally I want to narrow it, so this is very useful.  Hopefully I will remember it...need to write it down somewhere to remind myself until it sticks.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

DOS was just the toddler version of UNIX ;) I sometimes still use the UNIX terminal on my MacBook. I grieved the recent day MacOS removed Telnet; that was my introduction to the internet in 1990. 

ETA: rm -rf * anyone?

Just watch your language there young man. ;)

I set up a business selling Texas Instruments 99 4A computers in 88. You used a tape recorder as a storage device.

Then IBM decided to get into the business. I still have a IBM XT with a whopping 10 megabyte hard drive, and the thing still works. I used to use Q&A on it.

Them Apples was for sissies. ;) People who confused the Beatles with computers.

Most thought this personal Computing stuff was a new fad.

It wasn't.

Edited by mfbukowski

I haven't visited the church site in a few years. Perhaps it is time to see this house of horrors.

1 minute ago, Valentinus said:

I haven't visited the church site in a few years. Perhaps it is time to see this house of horrors.

Yep! That was terrifying. I got pop ups on my phone in under 10 sec. Who directed this undertaking? I haven't been this horrified since seeing Dr. Satan in Rob Zombie's movie "House of 1000 Corpses".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Just watch your language there young man. ;)

I set up a business selling Texas Instruments 99 4A computers in 88. You used a tape recorder as a storage device.

I remember tape drives.  Them was the days! ;)

7 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Then IBM decided to get into the business. I still have a IBM XT with a whopping 10 megabyte hard drive, and the thing still works. I used to use Q&A on it. ...

I looked up Q&A on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q%26A_(Symantec)

image.png.5d346936ab6fb4474921790cbd015483.png

"Fascinating!"

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 8:26 PM, rodheadlee said:

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. I was going to myself, but wondered if I just couldn't figure out the new search features. 

Seeing that this seems to be a new issue, I suggest we all provide some feedback to the webmasters of the ChurchofJesusChrist.org at:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/feedback/?lang=eng&id=&note=

Here is mine: "I am not sure if I am missing something, but I am not enjoying the new scripture search interface as much as the one on LDS.org. Apparently because of copyright issues, there are very few scripture study programs which provide search functionality for all the newest LDS scriptures, and I depended on the search function of LDS.org to lookup scriptures. I liked its functionality to return all results or to narrow the results to various books of scripture. For reasons not apparent to me, this search function does not appear to be the same in the new ChurchofJesusChrist.org website, and I find myself wishing for the old LDS.org search functionality. If that is available on the new website, it is not apparent to me. Instead I find myself clicking the various books of scripture (ie, the Bible, the Book of Mormon, D&C, etc) to see if there are any search results. If it is not available, I suggest returning the old search functionality to the new ChurchofJesusChrist.org website. Thank you."

I once did find a third party scripture study program that had a Book of Mormon module, but for the reasons implied above, it was an old version of the BoM, and did not have modules for our other books of scripture. Gospel Link of Deseret Books does provide some functionality. I hope I do not have to resort to my old Gospel Link program! :( 

• Like 2