Sign in to follow this  
Bernard Gui

How Does the Book of Mormon Clarify the Bible?

On another thread, the question was asked,  “what doctrinal differences and clarifications does the Book of Mormon make in relation to the Bible?” Here are some I have identified. How about you?

Among other things....

The purpose, significance, universality, covenant, and mode of baptism.

A more comprehensive understanding of the resurrection.

A fuller understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

The pre-mortal foundation, the significance, and the role of the Holy Priesthood after the order of the Son of God.

A confirmation that Jesus organized a church in the Old World.

The requirements for authority in administering the gospel.

The role of the 12 Apostles in the final judgment.

The pre-mortal nature of Christ.

The pre-mortal existence of man.

The urgency, benefits, and significance of the Fall of Adam.

The restoration of Israel and gathering of the Jews.

A record of the other sheep.

A promise that more records will come forth.

A rationale for plural marriage.

The significance of the descendants of Joseph of Egypt.

The role the Lehites will play in the end times.

The Lehite “land of promise” covenant also pertains to us today. 

• Like 2

Revelation from God to prophets other than those in the Bible.

• Like 1

My understanding of the Book of Mormon had very few overriding priorities as it testifies of itself:

"Which is to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations"

Anything else, including doctrinal clarifications, were a very distant priority. 

5 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

In one way or another, all these seem to have to do with America or the American continent, which raises the question whether America is mentioned in the Bible.

One answer is that America is mentioned in Revelation 13 (compare Daniel 7), and the reasons are given by Steve Wohlberg at https://hartland.edu/2017/12/14/is-america-mentioned-in-bible-prophecy/ .

However, America is also mentioned in Ezekiel 37:15–19, in which the Stick of Judah (Jewish & Christian Bible) is to be united with the Stick of Ephraim/Joseph (Book of Mormon), which is a record of Israelites who came to America (2 Nephi 3:12, 29:12–13, D&C 27:5).

It's worth noting again that we're missing the 116 pages (which Don Bradley suggests might be of significant length in terms of percentage of the whole - perhaps as much as half). We're also missing the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon. So there's a lot left to be revealed. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

It's worth noting again that we're missing the 116 pages (which Don Bradley suggests might be of significant length in terms of percentage of the whole - perhaps as much as half). We're also missing the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon. So there's a lot left to be revealed. 

Yes, and the number "116" is actually only an estimate based on the number of pages in the replacement Small Plates translation known from the numbered-page Printer's Manuscript.  Could have been much more.

The role of the Holy Ghost confirming true religion and other facts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

My understanding of the Book of Mormon had very few overriding priorities as it testifies of itself:

"Which is to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations"

Anything else, including doctrinal clarifications, were a very distant priority. 

Thanks....the question was about differences and clarifications, not priorities, though.

Edited by Bernard Gui

18 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

On another thread, the question was asked,  “what doctrinal differences and clarifications does the Book of Mormon make in relation to the Bible?” Here are some I have identified. How about you?

Among other things....

The purpose, significance, universality, covenant, and mode of baptism.

A more comprehensive understanding of the resurrection.

A fuller understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

The pre-mortal foundation, the significance, and the role of the Holy Priesthood after the order of the Son of God.

A confirmation that Jesus organized a church in the Old World.

The requirements for authority in administering the gospel.

The role of the 12 Apostles in the final judgment.

The pre-mortal nature of Christ.

The pre-mortal existence of man.

The urgency, benefits, and significance of the Fall of Adam.

What would you say is the more important book in the COJCOLDS....the Bible or the BOM? I thought that the bible was like the foundation and considered more important than the BOM... would you consider that true?

18 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Except there was a lot about how plural marriage was practiced that did not match the rationale set forth in Jacob 2:27-30.

Much more information on life after death.

https://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1382&index=2

The notion that specific plain and precious things were missing (1 Nephi 13, specifying covenants and specific teachings, such as that "the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father"), the means by which they were lost, and additional texts appearing via then gentiles after the appearance of the Book of Mormon besides the Book of Mormon by which they will be restored and confirmed.

https://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1459&index=4

http://www.margaretbarker.com/Papers/TextAndContext.pdf

A method for evaluating competing paradigms that is not completely paradigm dependent.

Alma 32

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thinking said:

Except there was a lot about how plural marriage was practiced that did not match the rationale set forth in Jacob 2:27-30.

It does provide a rationale, though

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Kevin Christensen said:

Much more information on life after death.

https://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1382&index=2

The notion that specific plain and precious things were missing (1 Nephi 13, specifying covenants and specific teachings, such as that "the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father"), the means by which they were lost, and additional texts appearing via then gentiles after the appearance of the Book of Mormon besides the Book of Mormon by which they will be restored and confirmed.

https://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1459&index=4

http://www.margaretbarker.com/Papers/TextAndContext.pdf

A method for evaluating competing paradigms that is not completely paradigm dependent.

Alma 32

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA

Great additions! Thank you.

How about...

The explanations of the justice and mercy and mercy of God.

The imperative of the opposition of good and evil in the Plan of Salvation.

The primacy of agency.

Foreordination.

Edited by Bernard Gui

I recently read an article in Maxwell Institute's Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (26, 2017) that you or anyone might enjoy, written by Michael Austin called "How the Book of Mormon Reads the Bible: A Theory of Types".

Whether one ends up agreeing with conclusions, it is still rather thought provoking.  He talks about how, one major way that the Book of Mormon clarifies the Bible is not so much to agree in lockstep, but to challenge and correct some of its themes. And in some cases, expand in a way that where we think the story 'ends' in the Bible, the Book of Mormon says, there's more. Austin uses the term "invert".

But I was in awe at the number of themes the Book of Mormon covers the same ground as the Bible, with different characters. Such as the match of Saul and Alma the Younger.  Such that the same principles, with inversion perhaps, may be juiced from different details, a different myth (NOT defining 'myth' as 'fiction' here).  Those disinclined to see the inspiration in the Book of Mormon might cry more copying, but I felt like a whole scape opened to see even wider purpose in the Book of Mormon that was there all along but I couldn't see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowflake said:

What would you say is the more important book in the COJCOLDS....the Bible or the BOM? I thought that the bible was like the foundation and considered more important than the BOM... would you consider that true?

That’s a good question for another thread.  I would put them on nearly equal footing (due to “as far as the Bible is translated correctly,”) with the edge going to the Book of Mormon.  My personal opinion is that I am more spiritually fortified reading the Book of Mormon than the Bible.  I love it.  My faith in Jesus Christ is strengthened every time I read it.  My gratitude for the Prophet Joseph Smith is reaffirmed every time I read it.  In my opinion, the Book of Mormon is a miraculous work that has been proved true to my satisfaction through reading and answered prayer.  I also love the Holy Bible, and am enjoying reading the New Testament this year.  It also testifies of Jesus Christ to me in a powerful way.

• Like 2

A notably distinct theory of the Atonement, as noted by Lorin K. Hansen.

In this combined interpretation, these two experiences (Gethsemane and Calvary) are the total experience by which the Savior gains the necessary understanding and authenticity to reach humanity. Taken together, these views seem to come closer to the concept of the Atonement found in Mormon sources than do the old traditional theories of medieval and Reformation Christianity.

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V27N01_207.pdf

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA

• Like 2

The notion that pacifism is preferred to national wars and pride is a good one.

The teachings on racism are a bad thing.  \

The notion that leaders in any society should lead by serving is a good teaching.

The notion that magical events will save special people while destroying others is a bad thing.  

meh...there's good and bad to get out of it, I guess.  

2 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

The teachings on racism are a bad thing.  \

"...and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile."

2 Nephi 26:33

• Like 2

The BoM provides an amazing array of perspectives on the Biblical account of what transpired in the Garden of Eden.  Many insights can be derived:

• Two commandments given by God both of which could not be obeyed (mutually exclusive, only one or the other could be kept).  One is to keep away from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (do not even touch it).  The other is to be fruitful and multiply.
  • God needed to remove Himself from undue influence that would cause Adam/Eve to favor one choice over the other.
  • Why would God create a pristine Garden of Eden that was a place of no death and functioned like Utopia?  Why would God place both trees that could cause problems?  Did not God have the power of creating obedient and wise beings that would have childlike purity without a hint of malice?
  • Most of the christian world believe that humans born into the world began their existence in the mother's womb (both body and spirit).  The BoM teach that we were spirit beings before the Creation.  This is a major distinction that helps us to understand the purpose of the Garden of Eden and how it was structured.
  • The BoM gives us the "Big Picture" in describing the Plan of Happiness.  It describes what transpired in the Pre-Existence and how the War in Heaven started.  The importance of the Fall and the necessity for a Savior to provide the Atonement that enables the Plan of Happiness to be put into operation.
  • Many more can be listed - - -
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

"...and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile."

2 Nephi 26:33

Fair point...the contradictions within the BooK of Mormon are perhaps less common then the contradictions in the bible.  neither are univocal, I suppose, or at least not intended to be, but the BoM comes off far more so than the Bible.

6 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

It does provide a rationale, though

The rationale is to raise up seed. If it is implemented not to raise up seed, then the rationale is not met.

otherwise they shall hearken unto these things. (Jacob 2:30)

These things being

For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; (Jacob 2:27)

Posted (edited)

The Book of Mormon clarifies the position of the United States, North America and the new world in the latter days. As an EV we studied with various different preachers and there were various different scenarios for the US to play in the latter days but we are never called out as a nation. I thought it was rather odd that the most powerful nation in the world was not mentioned in any Old Testament prophecies regarding the latter days.

A study of the lost 10 tribes of Israel with these preachers would make it seem that Ephraim and Manasseh were the United States and England (or Vise versa).This would appear to turn out to be true. The thing that struck me the most when I discovered the Book of Mormon and the LDS Church was that I knew Christ had come to America. It was an aha! moment for me. The Book of Mormon confirmed it for me.

Edited by rodheadlee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinking said:

The rationale is to raise up seed. If it is implemented not to raise up seed, then the rationale is not met.

I affirm that one of the primary reasons the early LDS were commanded to practice polygamy was to “raise seed to the Lord.”.

These things being

These things being unless commanded by God. Please use the entire quote.

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my 27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.
30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.
30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

These things being unless commanded by God. Please use the entire quote.

According to the BoM, the Lord will command his people on the condition (rationale) of raising up seed. Are you suggesting that He will command His people to practice plural marriage outside of that rationale?

I think that verse 30 is very clear that His command will only come if the purpose is to raise up seed, otherwise...

We are talking past each other.